IGNORED

Oil leak picture look please

Whitlow

Best thing to do is to wash the whole engine down, and then keep a close eye on it to see where it all starts. Could be at the top, could be at the bottom, but with oil all over the place, unless you can find a clean 'oil run' spot, it's pretty hard to tell.

As Marcarl said, make sure where the leak is first. Try your best to find out if it is leaking from above or from the spot on the photo where the oil drip is. If the photo indicates where the leak is, you may have to change a gasket.

NOt sure where the picture is taken, but I think I may be concerned about that part that looks cracked. :stirthepot::rotf:

AS Carl said clean it up and keep an I on it

BRad

I would like to know where you see a crack? I don't see it in the picture or looking at it.

Just above the oil drop, near the top of the photo, not sure if it is a crack or not. As I mentioned I am not sure where the picture was taken.

BRad

I think that is only part of the bike frame & almost looks like a bracket that is welded to it.

The picture was taken under the bike and where you are talking about it is not a crack. it is the frame and a shadow. I did a oil and filter change on the bike and the oil leak has stopped. It was a smaller drop for a day or so and today I did not see any oil under it. I almost wonder if it was just over filled with oil. I rode for about 2 hrs today I will look in the morning and see if there is a oil spot on the floor. I'm going to ride it to the NHRA races tomorrow.

I'm gonna say that it is coming from the engine and probably because there's either a bad seal or hole somewhere. Just a hunch, though...

I will do some close inspection on the entire engine. But I really looked at everything close before I bought it. A closer look is coming soon!!!

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Did the leak ever come back? I just bought a 2001 the previous owner said did not leak and low and behold it has a leak. The previous owner probably cleaned the leak right before I bought it. Anyway the leak is in the same place on my bike and it only has 4,700 miles on it.

Here is a picture of the leak where is it comming from and why?

Thanks

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/VictoriaVett/CIMG1411.jpg

Here is a well know secret LOL Clean your bike up real good and then look for the oil leak using a black light, the oil will have florescence under black light. Hope that help a little anyway.

Bubber :bluesbrother:

common concern on several 2nd gens that i have seen..

the 2 bolts that hold the left rear exhaust pipe to the left rear cylinder head, will leak oil around the threads and can be a bass turd to find. the bolt holes on some of the heads were drilled into the oil passage area, thus allow oil to pass into the threads and out onto the engine and down to the lowest point.

remove bolts and put thread sealer onto the bolts and reasemble.

not a hard job to do while the engine is cool.

mike.

ps the left side is the kickstand side. unless ya live down under

.... then all bets are off..:rasberry:

Did the leak ever come back? I just bought a 2001 the previous owner said did not leak and low and behold it has a leak. The previous owner probably cleaned the leak right before I bought it. Anyway the leak is in the same place on my bike and it only has 4,700 miles on it.

I still have a bit of a leak but I think it is because when I chnge the oil next time I'm not going to put what it says to only what it take to fill it to the full line. Mine is a bit over full and I think that is causing the leak. I also was told no oil leak but there it was after I bough it!

common concern on several 2nd gens that i have seen..

the 2 bolts that hold the left rear exhaust pipe to the left rear cylinder head, will leak oil around the threads and can be a bass turd to find. the bolt holes on some of the heads were drilled into the oil passage area, thus allow oil to pass into the threads and out onto the engine and down to the lowest point.

remove bolts and put thread sealer onto the bolts and reasemble.

not a hard job to do while the engine is cool.

mike.

ps the left side is the kickstand side. unless ya live down under

.... then all bets are off..:rasberry:

And you Sir can bite ya bum!!

And you Sir can bite ya bum!!

ANNIE, ya know i did that just for you my dear sweet Aussie!!

please forgive me dear, i just needed to hear from you, and i know that you have no need for the kickstand:rasberry:

i still want to come and visit you:thumbsup2:mike

Only fill 1/2 full in the site glass, members found that any fuller will cause oil to back-up from the crankcase thru the overflow which drains into the air filter boxes in most cases the left side due to the angle when parked. The air box has an over flow tube that runs into the front fairings and any drainage will come from there, this is hard to detect being in an unseen location Al Bates recommended to me to reroute those tube to come outside the black plastic backside of the fairing ( which would be below the air box in front of the floor boards) therefore you could have a visual inspection point if there was a carb problem such as a sticking float or an oil overflow.

Gary

This post has a number of innacuracies, which I have highlighted in red above. Here is an accurate description of the crankcase vent and carb overflow tubes on a stock 2nd gen RSV and RSTD:

Even when the engine has too much oil, it never "back-up" through the overflow. What actually occurs when the engine is overfilled is that the splashing creates a excess oil mist that is carried though the crankcase vent tube into the two air plenum boxes directly above the carbs. Most of this oil mist is sucked through the carbs and gets burned, but some will condense on the inside of those air boxes and eventually work down throught he drain tubes. There is one drain connected to the rear of each air box that is routed down in front of the battery and out the botom of the bike right where the tip of the side stand is when retracted (there are four tubes there - these two drains, the gas tank overflow and the coolant overflow).

There ARE two vent/overflow tubes that are routed to the front of the air intakes in the lower fairings, but these are not connected to the crankcase vent - those tubes that run forward are for carburetor float bowl overflow.

Goose

I may have found the leak on mine.:fingers-crossed-emo On top of the transmission (I think) the second roundish chrome piece on the left side of the engine there are a number of bolts. The two fatherest to the outside (left) are #12 size and there are I think 6 #1o size bolts that run from the left side to the right side. Three closest to the rear cylinder and three toward the rear of the bike and down where it would be very difficult to reach. While I was cleaning all the oil off the top and bottom of the transmission(?) i noticed the outside #10 bolt on the left just rattled around so I tighten it and let the bike run for a while in the driveway and checked and I still had an oil leak but either it wasn't as bad or I didn't run it long enough. So I cleaned everything again and checked the second front bolt from the left and it was loose but not as loose as the first #10 bolt. So I tightened it. I let the bike run a while sitting in the garage and so far no leak. I will test it some more tomorrow.:fingers-crossed-emo

Alright I just confirmed that I fixed my oil leak. I just rode around for about 15 to 20 minutes in 30 degree weather and no leak. My Venture was dripping oil in the same place as the picture showed in this thread. By the way the picture is of the bottom of the crankcase behind the vent tubes and crossmember and in front of the rear tire with the drip on the left side of the engine. Mine was leaking quit a bit of oil. I traced it down to the three bolts (#10 wrench or socket) on top of the crankcase behind the rear cylinders. You need to remove the cooling fins on both sides of the rear cylinder in order to have enough room to check all three bolts. The left bolt was completely loose the middle bolt was loose enough to leak oil and the right bolt was just barely loose. I don't think the right bolt was leaking but I tightened it anyway. The other two bolts is where the oil was leaking from. My bike has 4700 miles on it so I think they were never tighten down all the way at the factory but since the bike is 9 years old there is no telling but I find it hard to believe that those bolts could get that loose in just 4700 miles.:confused24: Anyway if you have an oil leak towards the rear of the engine and you can't figure out where the leak is I highly recommend you check these bolts.