IGNORED

Retirement Practice

rosebud

NEWTRK06 and I get a little closer every day to retirement. We've discussed many times what we want to do when that happens. NEWTRK06 is a few years older than I am so he will retire before I even start thinking about it. He's always thought that he would play Wild Hair II and ride where the wind takes him while I continue to work to fund his travels, but we came up with a new plan that we are going to try out for the next couple of weeks.

NEWTRK06 is going to ride to the place we have decided to vacation at and in order to maximize my vacation time I will fly in join him for a week or two and then I will fly back home leaving him to make him own way home sometime.

So on Wednesday we are going to practice for retirement. NEWTRK06 has a 2 week vacation and is going to the San Diego area. Just himself and his bike. He's going to visit family he has not seen in years over the weekend, and then next Monday he and his nephew are going to take off on their bikes and ride through the mountains in Southern California with plans to end up at the Pacific eating fresh seafood. Just the two of them enjoying life on the road together. The following Wednesday is when my part of Phil's retirement plan kicks in. I am flying into Phoenix with my helmet as my carry on luggage and we are going to spend the next 6 days riding through Arizona and New Mexico as we make our way back to home.

If this works who knows where we'll turn up next. I want to see New England in the fall, ride through West Viriginia, see Mt Rushmore, just imagine the sky's the limit.

So now that I've shared our retirement plans - what do you plan to do to enjoy your retirement?

I wish you all the best of luck in your retirement plan. We are very fortunate in that it looks like we will be able to both quit the full-time jobs about the same time. I think you will enjoy the ride back home, though. We did something like that last year when I had to be in NJ for work. I rode up, and Elizabeth flew up to meet up with me when it was time to come home. It was a lot more fun than the trip up by myself.

I'm in my 3rd retirement, first from the USAF, then from a small business then hit 62 and took S.S. Every day is Saturday now, I ride, mow the grass, ride, wash the bike, the car, the custom '50'. I ride, I make garden art, planters, sculptures and other metal oddities and ride. I've added on to my studio, I ride, built an extension to house metal stock and ride. I've landscaped, painted the house, re-decorated the kitchen and cleaned out the basement twice.

ANNNNNNDDDDDDD,,,,,,,,,,, I ride! When I can't ride (annual whiteout) I pout!

Renne

(it's about whiteout time!):thumbdown:

Retirement starts, for about a week, then you have to get to work and catch up on all the stuff you been putting off for the last 20 years. Then the roof needs replacement, then the etc etc etc. It never ends.

Might as well go back to work at least you get paid. !!!

My first summer after retirement I plan to leave MO and head west to every national park west of the Mississippi; badlands, rushmore, yellowstone, tetons, going to the sun, banff (OK I know some are in Canada) down to Vancouver, take a ferry over to olympic down 1 & 101 to redwoods, golden gate, Yosemite, zion, grand canyon, big bend, rocky mtn, and others I didn't think of without my preplanned route in front of me. Should take 2 months and about 8,000 miles.

I'm ready to leave, but then again, guess I'll wait until I can retire. Besides, its snowing at high altitude now! :)

Retirement is a great thing, do the things you always wanted to do. Have a great time and enjoy the ride. I've been retired 4 years now having worked 45 years just so I could retire. Never owned a bike until I retired but that was in the plan all along and the wait was worth it. Now I have two, a Venture Royale trike, it's my go places ride and a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 that I ride on the back roads and enjoy the view.

Hated work, too many crappy bosses for 30 years. :bang head::buttkick:

Retired at 55, my goal. Can sleep in, go where I want, when I want, do what I want. Wife and I actually get along better. When S.S. and pensions kick in will have more money than when I worked. I live in a great climate, no bills, many good friends, and healthy.

Why would I work? :confused24:

Don't wait, do it now.

I don't make plans because I live life "in the moment"; however, I have dreams.... and my dream is and has been for many, many years to spend my retirement touring on my bike for as long as I can.

"Follow the Sun"

I have at least 5 years yet to work before I figgure I will be able to afford to realize my dream. I'll be 67 at that time... hopefully I'll still have my health and agility that I now have.

I took early retirement. I did not like where the company was headed, trying to grab the pension funds, so I got out early. Fly in the ointment...the wife retired at the same time. Now I am busier than when I worked but I don't get paid for it. Between the bike, the hot rod, the Legion, the house, helping friends ( gotta sell that truck) etc, I don't know how I ever had time to go to work. I keep telling the wife " I am 65 now, I can only do the things I want for another 10-12 years so I am going to do them now". Lots of time to sit in a rocking chair and think dirty thoughts later, right now I want to build fuel for the memories. Don't put things off, you never know. Enjoy life while you have it, you don't know how long it will last.

I'm not so sure, I will ever really be able to retire. We have savings, and I have a great retirement plan through my employer. However we have always said we would rather enjoy life now while we are able rather than take the chance that we (really me) will be physically unable at retirement. That being said I'm sure we have not saved enough because we have chose to spend it now. Sure would be nice though. I wish you all the best.

Diane that sounds like such a wonderful trip. I certainly hope you enjoy your preparation for retirement.

Ron is already retired. I guess I will have to work for a while longer.

I wish I could work part time, it would be so much more easy to deal with.

I know you will post photos when you return. Ride safe and enjoy every mile of your ride.

Yama Mama:ice_awesome-vi46644

been so many places,i can't remember,them all,have pictures that i don't even know where i took them,never mat a venturer,or a venturerider that i don't like,re tired 01/10/02,didn't start riding again till 11/03,not shure how many mls,maybe 300,000,on 5 bikes,only been let down one time,most know when,must be duck season now, having trouble getting them back in a row

retirement to me,is nothing to do,and no time to do it

:thumbsup::happy-emoticon:

After a particularly bad day a year ago, I said enough. Went home signed up for SS and did little for a couple months. Last winter I started a business (building and maintenance) since I spent almost fifty years in heavy civil and marine construction. Now I am comfortably busy and enjoy the time between jobs to work at home or ride. The best is that I have enough income to keep my bike and me happy. My wife, being younger, has a few years left to work.

:farmer:

I AM 51 AND MY WIFE IS 47. i HAVE BEEN HOPING TO RETIRE AT 55 BUT NOT SURE AFTER THE CORRECTIONS IN STOCK MARKET:starz: BUT IF I WORK TILL 60 MY EMPLOYER WILL PAY FOR MEDIAL INSURANCE UNTIL 65. OUR PLANS ARE TO BUY A TOY HAULER AND TRAVEL THE COUNTRY (AS OUR 5 KIDS ARE KINDA SPREAD OUT) AND USE THE CAMPER AS A "BASE".

:dancefool:HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT:big-grin-emoticon:

And our "practice for retirement" run just started. Phil just pulled out of the driveway, while I waved good bye and headed back to my computer to work today. He is planning to be in Amarillo for lunch and in Roswell tonight.

We know what you mean about children spread out - we only have 2 but one is in Chicago and the other is in Lakeland, FL, and we're in Tulsa.

Well Phil's on schedule. His plan was to end up in Roswell NM tonight and that's where he's at. It sounds like he had strong head winds most of the day and his gas milage was around 30 miles a gallon due to them. Temps this afternoon across west Texas into NM was 98 degrees. Tomorrow he's headed to Tucson.