IGNORED

mounting a gps?

I swap my GPS from bike to bike. I did it the cheap way, velcro on the tank cover. On my vtx I mounted a techmount on the handle bars and put velcro on the flat area. I rode 6200 miles out west and did not have a problem. I took off the cheap suction cup mounts and put velcro on the back cover of the gps. Kwik on, Kwik off.

Suction Cup is a good way to lose your gps on the first or second bump (I was lucky to catch mine after bouncing off tank).

Check this out: [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35927]Ram GPS mount modified w/ Part # and Pics - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Good Luck

Yes, the Ram mount is the best...but there is a cheap alternative.

If you have a thick-wall/heavy duty Koozie laying around, the inside diameter is a perfect fit for the gas cap.

Trim the koozie down till it is about 1 1/2 inches deep, turn it up side down and push it onto the gas cap. You will find it's very stable.

I'm sure your GPS came with one of those round plastic stick-on thingies, made to put on the car dash. Well you need to glue that plastic disk to the bottom of the Koozie. This gives you a slick/hard surface to attach the suction cup to.

On Oklahoma roads, there is way to many oops-e-dos to mount anything to the fairing, but mounting to the tank has worked fine for me for several years.

Like I said, the Ram mount is best if you want the best.:mo money: but it's not the only way.:2cents:

Does anyone know which Ram mount I need to fit a 1st gen, and use with a Garmin Nuvi? I have looked at several, but I want to make sure I order the right one.

Link and model # please.

gpscity and ram-mount's websites both have a model fitment guide. You put in brand and model of GPS and it kicks back which holder you need. Then you can select the one for the size of bars that you have for your bike.

Although someone will probably have that info on hand and can chime in too...

Yes, the Ram mount is the best...but there is a cheap alternative.

If you have a thick-wall/heavy duty Koozie laying around, the inside diameter is a perfect fit for the gas cap.

Trim the koozie down till it is about 1 1/2 inches deep, turn it up side down and push it onto the gas cap. You will find it's very stable.

I'm sure your GPS came with one of those round plastic stick-on thingies, made to put on the car dash. Well you need to glue that plastic disk to the bottom of the Koozie. This gives you a slick/hard surface to attach the suction cup to.

On Oklahoma roads, there is way to many oops-e-dos to mount anything to the fairing, but mounting to the tank has worked fine for me for several years.

Like I said, the Ram mount is best if you want the best. but it's not the only way.

Ok I'll bite, what's a KOOZIE ??

Ok I'll bite, what's a KOOZIE ??

A Koozie is one of those foam rubber things that many companys give away as advertising, made to put your soft drink can in and keep it cold. Also insulates the can from your hands, so they don't get cold.

If you don't have one aready around the house, they can be found in the sporting goods section.

Find a good heavy one with thick walls that are as rigid as possible.

I also used a full Koozie with the bottom cut out on my gas cap, as a drink holder before I got my cup holder. Never spilled a drop.

Guys,

The slickest Ram mount I have found is a reservoir cover mount that is sold by Motorcycle Larry:

http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=8

The one for the Honda GL1800 and either of the STs will work on our RS Venture or TD. he machines a nice polished aluminum cover with a ram mount machined in one end. So all you need is a Ram ball. Oh, the pictures show the initials MCL engraved in the cover. He doesn't do that any longer and they are smooth.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Forget the suction mount. It's totally useless on the handlebars of a bike. When you least expect it, it will turn loose. Go with some sort of fixed mount. You could, as others have said, glue the mount on permanently, put a screw through it, or just throw it away and go for the Ram mount. You'll wind up losing the unit if you think it's gonna stay on. Trust me on this!!

I attached the flat black plastic disc that came with my Garmin StreetPilot 550a to the tank bib just below the gas cap, and use the suction cup mount directly on it. It's perfectly stable, has never come loose regardless of the bumps I hit, and is easier to view the GPS in bright light conditions versus the handlebar mount I previously used. When I have the GPS stowed away, the black disc is barely noticeable.