IGNORED

Gen 1 vs Gen 2 seating position.

camos

Been wondering for a while whether feet forward or feet under would be more comfortable for touring. I've seen quite a number of comments that Gen 2 are more comfortable than Gen 1. In what way are they more comfortable? There are a lot of people who have gone from Cruiser style forward controls to Sport Touring bikes with controls under or even further back than Gen 1 and find them better. Seems to me sitting with your weight more on your thighs would be more comfortable than with it on your tailbone.

This is a serious question and not intended to stir up any controversy.

Of course, a little controversy is always a bonus. :big-grin-emoticon:

Apples to Oranges....

I much prefer the feet fwd on the G2, it's better on my back and I like to stretch my legs out. I have had both bike's, 3 G2's and 4 1st gens and my knees and back like the G2 better. It's really all personal preference and you should really take the one you dont have out for a long ride to get the feel of it. You can't make an informed decision of riding one or the other with 30 minutes of riding. Get in the saddle for 2 or 3 hours and get the feel of the bike.

I just did 950 miles over 50 or so hours on my '89 and I am paying for it. That wouldn't have been an issue with my G2's

I know the two bikes are different but it is not apples to oranges, in my opinion anyway. It's about the comfort of one versus the comfort of the other. I have no opportunity to ride a G2 at all, never mind for 2 or 3 hours so your experienced comparison is exactly what I was after... and anybody else's who may have touring experience on both.

Comparing the seating of both generations of Venture and also against that of sport touring bikes is the goal, to possibly get an understanding of which is the most comfortable. Can't remember for sure but I think there are several members on here who have some kind of sport touring bike as well.

I'm on the tall side and find the seating position of my 90 VR a bit cramped so I've been thinking of moving the controls forward this Winter but perhaps I should be moving them back a bit instead. The other alternative is to leave it alone , suck it up and stop whining. :buttkick:

Would be good to get it sorted out before doing the wrong thing, if ya know what I mean.

Thanks Squidley.

I wish my bike had footpegs underneath me. The weight of my legs out in front throws me backwards and my back can't find a comfortable, balanced, vertical position. I feel like I'm either leaning backwards or leaning forwards. A backrest did not help me. It feels like it's pushing me forwards all the time, even when I'm leaning back. On longer trips, I ride most of the time with my feet almost off the backs of the floorboards to get my legs and feet under me. I last a lot longer that way.

No worries Clive,

I find that if your long legged that the 1st gens can get cramped. Another big deal for me is that my wife likes to ride with me. She sat on the back of the 1st '99 that I owned and said "Your buying this" There is a ton more room for the passenger and she can get a lot more comfortable. I suppose it's all in what you want to do with it. The 1st gens are very nimble and will carve a road well and be able to carry a decent amount of stuff. The G2 is no slouch and holds the road well, and is VERY comfortable doing it. I have done 800 mile days on both 1st and 2nd gens and the G2 wins overwhelmingly for me as far as being more comfy.

I know the two bikes are different but it is not apples to oranges, in my opinion anyway. It's about the comfort of one versus the comfort of the other. I have no opportunity to ride a G2 at all, never mind for 2 or 3 hours so your experienced comparison is exactly what I was after... and anybody else's who may have touring experience on both.

Comparing the seating of both generations of Venture and also against that of sport touring bikes is the goal, to possibly get an understanding of which is the most comfortable. Can't remember for sure but I think there are several members on here who have some kind of sport touring bike as well.

I'm on the tall side and find the seating position of my 90 VR a bit cramped so I've been thinking of moving the controls forward this Winter but perhaps I should be moving them back a bit instead. The other alternative is to leave it alone , suck it up and stop whining. :buttkick:

Would be good to get it sorted out before doing the wrong thing, if ya know what I mean.

Thanks Squidley.

i have the same problem as you , i am long legged , 34 inseam so i did some mods on mine so i can stretch out , i removed the leg fairings and put on hwy pegs on the crash bars but i still like the pegs under me when i am playing , also i have 4 in rizors and dif. handle bars so i can put my feet up and lay back when touring .

I feel I have better control of a bike if my feet are under me. I feel like I have alot less control if my feet are way forward. I'm 6'02" If I'm riding more aggressively I feel very unstable the further forward my feet are. I rode a friends VROD which was nice but the foot controls were so far forward I felt very unstable in anything that resembled a turn. When I ride the RoadKing like Pegscraper my feet are all the way back and hanging off the rear portion of the boards. Now the first hour of a long ride around my knees might hurt but then it goes away and I'm fine the rest of the time on a 1st Gen.

Edited by CrazyHorse

I feel I have better control of a bike if my feet are under me. I feel like I have alot less control if my feet are way forward.

This is what I thought too, when I owned the first gen. I was concerned when looking, but with more miles on the 2nd gen, I do like it better. I can stretch out and move around more.

Agree with Squid it is not a slouch and is fun to ride.

Brad

I owned both and i have to say the Second gen. fits me better. I Loved the 83 for the handling and speed and the looks as well, but it tore my knees up being not able to stretch out. i sold My 83 wish i kept it now but for long trips the second gen. wins hands down. I can stretch out my legs and move my feet around if need be, Roadkill changed out the shifter back to a single arm shifter before I got it and it allows me to move my feet around if need be.

Plus the Corbin seat I have really does wonders for my legs - butt & back,When I stretch out my legs the Corbin seat helps by making all the areas go equal so there is no sore spots any where. But the Corbin seat and the ride the second gen puts out, tears up Pegs back so i have to ride the Wing when we go two up. The Wing does not hurt her back, I Love the Wing but at times it hurts my knee not able to stretch all the way out so i have to move around some to relieve the pain, the Wing gives a smoother ride and better balance which helps my knee problem and most of all more power band low or high its there!!.but ifs it just me riding I'll take the Second gen....because I can stretch out my legs and relax and I LOVE the sound of the Venture when you open it up:happy34: Awesome:cool17:

I'm 6' with a 30 inseam and have ridden a 90 VR and currently ride an 05 RSV.

I found them both comfy for long rides, which for me is 300- 400 miles, but in different ways.

Nit-picking, but:

I would say that I found the G1 hard on the knees and hips as there are limited leg positions to rotate through, even with highway pegs, and I seize up sitting in one position too long. The RSV - plenty of room to shift around and stretch your legs.

The G2 hard on my tailbone. I find the stock seat to literally be a P-I-A after 3 hours or so. Sarges46 mentioned that there's some info on a seat mod here on the site that I'm going to look into this winter. The VR had a fantastic saddle IMO.

I have an 86 goldwing that has a very similar seating position to the 1st gen. One of the first things I did to it was to put highway pegs so I could switch between the legs forward and legs under positions. I find that the ability to move around makes the miles go by easier. On my Roadstar I can put my feet on the front edge of the rear floorboards which gives me a sportbike style position. Although its no good for reaching the controls, it does get my weight off my tailbone for a break every now and then.

i have the same problem as you , i am long legged , 34 inseam so i did some mods on mine so i can stretch out , i removed the leg fairings and put on hwy pegs on the crash bars but i still like the pegs under me when i am playing , also i have 4 in rizors and dif. handle bars so i can put my feet up and lay back when touring .
That's me too, are we related? :cool10: Mostly I like my feet about half way between under me and stretched out but find myself in a jockey position when getting seriously into it. Not into touring, commuting and day trips is more my thing. Been thinking of some longish floorboards that will cover both positions. Got any pix of the risers? I lifted the bars on my Virago a few inches so I could turn the buckhorns down a bit and find them absolutely perfect for me. On the VR to get that position the bars foul either the mirrors or the tank so they gotta get lifted too.

It is s Squid says whatever fits you. I'm 6ft tall with a 30 in inseam. The 1st gen is the best thing I've ever rode but I have never ridden a 2nd Gen so I can't be fair in that.
I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam so the Gen1 is cramped for me as it comes which is the reason for this thread. Can't afford a Gen2, like the retro look but don't like the batwing type fairing. Sometimes it seems very difficult to be me. :bang head:

I feel I have better control of a bike if my feet are under me. I feel like I have alot less control if my feet are way forward. I'm 6'02" If I'm riding more aggressively I feel very unstable the further forward my feet are.
That's how I feel too.

This is what I thought too, when I owned the first gen. I was concerned when looking, but with more miles on the 2nd gen, I do like it better.
Exactly where I'm at except a Gen2 is not in my future so gonna try modding the Gen1 to fit. Just have to sort out the best options first which is what prompted me to start this thread and pick your brains.

So it seems there are issues with both feet under and feet forward positions and perfection is unattainable. Reminds me of my life. :bang head: Looks like there are compromises that will have to be made to get things sorted out to get my VR fit me the best. Having my thoughts confirmed by actual experience is priceless though.

Thanks to you all for your input. :thumbsup2:

I just changed from a 83 to an 89 and for the most part I'm extremely happy. Now before I settled for a low mileage 89, Barb and I took test rides on a new Gold Wing and a new Venture. On the wing I felt cramped. I'm 6'2" and a 32" inseam. On the GW the fairing was a lot closer, my arms were much further back than my Gen1, and the leg room was less also. After 45 minutes my arms started to feel cramped. On the new Gen2, I felt I could get used to the way it turned and handled, but I started to feel pain in my back and then my butt. BTW, Barb loved both bikes. We'd ridden my 83 to the dealer, and when we got back on, it felt great.

Now on the 89 I bought we just travelled 5,000 miles in the last month. I could feel that something was different with my leg position. I knew the 83 had adjustable foot pegs, but I'd never adjusted them in 26 years. At PIP, I compared the footpeg position of the Mk 1 and Mk 2 Gen 1's. With the Mk 1 footpegs set to the middle position (mine were also) the footpegs were about 1" to 1.5" further back on the early bikes. Also, they were a little lower. That would give you a touch more room for your legs, and for me a little more would really help. If we could come up with a way to move our Mk2 footpegs a little, it'd help big time. I think the frame is different, so we couldn't just put a Mk1 footpeg set on.

Also, coming back from PIP, my butt realized that I need to get the seat re-done. Does anybody know of a place that rebuilds seats? Or should I get a Corbin or similiar seat?

Frank

It's been 30 years since I had a bike with pegs so all I know are floorboards and feet forward. My 2nd Gen is the most comfortable that I have ever had but after a few hours I do wish I had some pegs just behind and above the rear of the boards just as another position for my legs. I have adjustable pegs on the engine guards so I can stretch them out but I sometimes feel the need to tuck them under, also. Overall, my RSV fits me better and way more comfortably than any other bike that I've had.

FYI, 32" inseam, just under 6' and a BigBoy!

not much info from me, but i am 5' 6" with 28" inseam. I have not rode a G1. i have an 04 RSV G2. i am able to sit forward or back some to adjust my butt on the seat to keep me comfortable. I have a back rest that helps & i am glad i have it. i rode some after buying the bike and prefer the rest. i can move my legs to n fro from floorboard as needed. my legs aren't long enough to fully place my foot on a peg, so i just do a half n half, toe inward or outward, just what feels comfortable.

so i just shift around on my bike as need be & i stay comfortable. my wife debbie says she is comfortable & has plenty of room.

Geeze, I might as well toss my spin in on this subject, and the reason I find the 1stGens very confortable. First some background. I'm 6'6" and tip the scales at 3 hundred...er...somthin'. I ride one up because my wife and I on the scoot would send it to an early demise with a broken back. Here's the set up. '83 or '91,..or ?? Pick one. Without floorboards, and with highway pegs. When traveling long distances I have a duffle/sport bag that fits in the passenger seat. So, now I have the ability to ride with my feet on the pegs and my toes pointed down. It gives me a little extra leg room over the toe up with the floor boards. In this positon I can run the twisties and feel I'm more in control of the scoot. When slabbing it I can stretch one.. or two feet.. forward and lean back against the duffle and it's like sitting in by recliner. Back support and all. If one position gets a little uncomfortable I have a choice, and not locked into one position. Feet back, or feet forward, or one back and one forward. I never have a situation where I get so uncomfortable that I suffer any pain. I have a lot of riding options, and a 1stGen is the only Venture that allows me to do this.

Not into touring, commuting and day trips is more my thing.

The G1 is probably better for you, as you probably are darting through some traffic. We like to go on longer rides, so I found the second gen better for me. If I get on it hard in the twistys I find my feet near the rear of the floorboards. :thumbsup2:

BRad