IGNORED

would you buy a RSV again?

Hope you don't mind me asking this question here, but would a 2005 RSTD have the same whine as an RSV?

Steve

Hey Steve - not sure about 2005 but I had a 2006 RSV last year (got written off in an accident) and now I have a 2006 RSTD - same whine!!

Eugene

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES Yes Yes I had a 1st 83 Venture Royale. I could not get real comfy on it due to being 6'6" my knees would hit the fixed fairing and my legs would cramp on long trips from the downward position of the pegs.From the 1st time I saw a RSV I was in love. Then I rode one and I had to have it.. I bought Angel with 13000 miles on her in 01 and have had many miles of smiles since. The only thing I have done is change clutch under warrenty and service regularly.

Sinc ewe know it will be at least another year b4 any changes might be made I'll just keep riding Angel. If MAMAYAMA came out with FI next yr. I would try to find me an 08 to buy. Why? To give em 5 yrs. to work out any bugs in it,while I rode wory free for 5 more warrentied years. But yes I will buy another RSV when I get the new fever.:cool10:

Sure I have a slight whine from my RSV but in my mind, that only gives it character! Wanna hear a real whine?? Try driving a 13 spd Roadranger transmission all day long! Straight cut gears, bullet proof, whiny, clunky and noisy, and it will go a million miles without a major problem. I'm happy to know my RSV tranny is built with the same durability in mind. When is the last time you've heard of one with catastrophic damage?? Check out your HD service depts. All you see are trannys that came apart or engines that can't go for more than 50K miles without major rebuilds. Honda has their problems with GW frames cracking. Then, the loud whining you hear comes from their owners!!

Brian

Hope you don't mind me asking this question here, but would a 2005 RSTD have the same whine as an RSV?

Steve

It could...some have the whine others do not. The 2005 RSTD I owned did have it...it took two cluch basket replacements before I was satisfied. My dealer was very cordial to me throughout the process. When I recently purchased a used 2004 Venture this past year he replaced the clutch basket once under warranty and that did not solve the problem and I was going to ask for another basket but after I had the rear end exchanged for the VMax the whine totally went away.

As others have already mentioned...the whine is a hit or miss proposition. What I am really surprised to hear is that some who purchased the 2007 models have it. You would think Yamaha would do a better job of quality control knowing that this has been a problem that often can be fixed with the clutch basket exchange.

Might not be the right place, but, is the 96-98 royal star engine have the same whine issues or is this engine a bit different?

Thanks,

I'm actually thinking of buying one of these whiners.:whistling::confused24:

Steve

My 97 RSTC isn't as loud as my 07 RSV. I don't know if it has straight cut gears or not. Also I think the fairings and tall windshield on the RSV tend to direct more noise into the cockpit area. I had some high pitched whine on the 07 but after 5k miles it seems to have gotten better. Either that or I've just gotten used to it. As for the topic of this thread, YES. I would buy the same bike for the same price!-Jack

Purchased my 05 Liquid Silver in May of this year. In the past 6 months we have put 6000 miles on it. It is very comfortable. We are currently 300 miles from home on a short trip to see the wife's parents. It's performance has been flawless. The addition of the headsets enables communication with my bride while riding. We usually prefer to spend our travel time talking rather than listening to the radio or CD.

Our bike has a good bit of extra chrome. It is an eye catcher. Even traveling down the Interstate people constantly give us a thumb's up or just glare at the bike as they pass by... that is if they are running above 80 mph (which is what it takes to pass us!). I might add a trailer in the future... but it is not a necessity.

You can't get this much bike or "curb appeal" for the amount of investment compared to the HD or Wing. The wing is a wonderful bike. But for now, I'll keep that extra 10K!

5 years or so down the road if Star has EFI on these machines, I'll consider purchasing another one.

Well everyone....Thanks again for all the responses!! I really appreciate it. I've gotten alot of opinoins and will consider them all when deciding what to buy. The whine issue bothers me a little, but on the other hand... I don't believe I heard anyone complain of the trans or engine having catasrophic (sp?) failure.Although some rear ends were replaced, but even that was due to noise and not faiure (I think). So... in the overall scheme of things, it looks like a very reliable bike with a few noise and cosmetic issues. I think all bikes have thier own set of issues. My VTX 1300c sounds like it's going to throw a rod at low speeds and the valve train is the noisiest I've heard to date.....normal for that bike!!! So thanks again and it looks like I'll be the proud owner of an RSV sometime in the not so distant future!:322:

Be good and ride safe.

• 7 months later...

OH Hell Yeah, not just for the bike itself but the People I've encountered because of it.

The "Best of the Best".

Great bike for the price , navigator is most comfortable , an we still look like a motorcycle not a plastic spaceship with automotive reverse on it.

Oh Hell NO!!!!!

My 07 has been in the shop more times, in the pasted 1-1/2 years, then any car/or bike I've ever owned.

Completed drive shaft change, re-grease hub 3 times already, oil leaks from somewhere under the kick stand. still hav'ent found that one. cessette player is a JOKE, whinning, chirps.

I came off a Honda Goldwing, and the next bike will be any other Goldwing

:thumbdown:

Oh Hell NO!!!!!

My 07 has been in the shop more times, in the pasted 1-1/2 years, then any car/or bike I've ever owned.

Completed drive shaft change, re-grease hub 3 times already, oil leaks from somewhere under the kick stand. still hav'ent found that one. cessette player is a JOKE, whinning, chirps.

I came off a Honda Goldwing, and the next bike will be any other Goldwing

:thumbdown:

It should be obvious from reading this site that this is far from the norm. Sounds like you have the lemon and should probably have this addressed by Yamaha.

Guest Saddletramp

I love my Midnight RSV. Nice style, plenty of power, fast enough for me. This bike will flat out get up and go when twisted on. Ride is sweet and it fits me!!!! The whine or whatever you want to call it is not a major factor in my opinion. I'd like to see EFI in the future, more useful instrumentation such as a temp gauge, oil pressure, oil temp, tach and charging system monitor. More choices when specing in relation to colors would also be nice. This is alot of bike for the money!! Buy one and you will be satisfied with it.

I will when they put some up to date features on it....I like the bike , sometimes just want something new so I tried a HD Ultra for half a day and while it IS a great bike with LOTS of REAL gauges ETC,It has its quirks too( Not meaning to bash,just my observation)The first thing is the EXCESSIVE heat it puts out,especially on the passenger,the other VERY minor thing is it does not ride as well as the RSV,(Close)however the handling is much better.That part is no big deal as the RSV I have is absolutely no problem after I put Avons on years ago.The last thing is power,it has a LOT of torque but going up these hills here in the hill country it was disappointing after the RSV.Bottom line....They ALL have there Quirks. Tom

I can see this thread has kinda Ventured (hehe) from the title but I would like to answer the title.

Would I buy an RSV again? The answer is NO. Why do I say No you say. Well, I haven't had my first one yet.

So, if I had the finances to purchase an RSV for the first time, would I do it? Heck ya I would!

I not only would, I DID! When I crashed my 05 last summer, it looked like the insurance company was gonna total it, so I bought an 07 while I waited and let my shoulder heal. In the end, 99% of the damage on the 05 was cosmetic and I was able to repair it for FAR less than the insurance company estimated. I now own two RSVs, and neither one have a significant whine - some do have it, but it is actually a relatively small number of bikes sold.

I really love my silver 05, so I'll be selling the almost new 07 soon, but if I needed another bike, the dark gray 08 or the beautiful Raspberry and Sand 03 would be the only options I would consider! No other bike made today can meet my requirements for beauty, comfort and reliability!!!! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

It should be obvious from reading this site that this is far from the norm. Sounds like you have the lemon and should probably have this addressed by Yamaha.

Going to meet with a rep, this week, at the local shop. I asked the service tec-to call me when he comes into town.

I'm with Spud. I love the bike but have no use for Yamaha. I have an o7b Midnight. At 4,000 Kms bolts started falling off. My dealer and the dealer in Charlottetown where I happened to be at the time were really good.

I emailed Yamaha Canada service (try to find contact info for them sometime. Almost imossible). NO REPLY.

I talked to a Yamaha vp at the bike show in Moncton this winter and his attitude was "tough"!! Maybe it's just Yamaha Canada.

So, the only reason I wouldn't buy another is the company, not the bike. Not to sure about Honda either with their new direction with dealerships. I had a wing before the Venture but didn't even look at a new wing last year. Glad I didn't as I like the Venture better...

Would I buy another....you bet. I bought mine off the showroom floor in '04 and have never had a whine, chirp, bolts falling out, etc.:rasberry: Don't know what you're all talking about with the "whine", "chirp", & such, but I am curious as to what it sounds like. I feel left out......:bawling: