IGNORED

What would you buy?

ken

Lets say you had the cash to get what ever touring bike you wanted what would it be, and why?

Would it be a HD ultra, a Victory Vision, GL1800, Kaw Voyager, or a RSV. There seems to be alot of Tourers available now days. I'm not ready to buy just yet, but I seem to keep changing my mind on what my goal is. I used to have a 05 RSV, loved it, but thought I had to have a Harley so I bought an 08 HD ultra which I have since sold. I've put a few miles on a GL 1800 (test drives). Put a leg over a Vision on a show room floor, and have yet to see the Kaw Voyager “in person”. Now, personal I can cross the Vision and Kaw off the list because of the looks. The vision looks like a star fish on wheels, and the Kaw looks like a bunch of aftermarket parts tossed together. That leaves RSV, HD and GL1800. I think the RVS looks the best, but then I think of all that power and sport bike handling of the GL1800. The HD I had was ok, but not as roomy as the RSV not to mention the heat from the air cooled V-twin, not so much for me but it would heat up the wifes right leg, but it's a Harley?? Just when I set my goal for the RSV, I change my mind citing the I-basket problem and that damn tape deck. So then I tell myself ok, my next bike will be a gl 1800, but then I look at the prices and not real sure of the seating position and it kind of has that plain look. I put a list of thinks together that are important to me like Water cooled, comfort, power handeling, gages, looks, repair cost, warranty, durability and reverse gear. I graded the HD, RSV and GL on a points system and the RSV came out just a nose in front of the GL. So I’m sure I will not go back to the HD so that leave me still on the fence RSV or GL. What would you do?

Well I had the RSV and loved it. I now have the 1800 and I love it, but it is not near as comfortable (or as easy to work on), as the RSV...

For now I will stay with what I have but my be looking at a seat upgrade for my GW and if that works then I will wait for 2012 for the 2000 cc GW.

If the seat upgrade does not work, then I just might go back to the RSV, but I will have ot at least try a BMW before I do.

The RSV is a great bike even with its quirks of minor issues.

The GW has thier too .....believe me..they all do no matter what type yo upurchase.

:thumbsup2:

One of the MAIN factors in choosing would be that my better half likes it and for her it would be comfort as the first thing. So that dictates that it has to be a good 2-up tourer.

Next it would be looks and I think she is in tune with me on this... I just do not like the looks of either the GW, the BMW, or the Vision.

So, that leaves either the RSV, the Kaw Voyager or the HD Ultra for us.

Rule out the Voyager coz there's a lot of things that seem "cheap" or flimsy about that bike even tho it has some very up-to-date features.

Now, you did say "Lets say you had the cash to get what ever touring bike you wanted " so, I would buy the fanciest, most powerful Ultra I could get. Why? Because, after all, it is the "Ultra" machine of the two left (HD & RSV) and since I had the cash to get whatever I wanted, it's highly likely I'd also have the cash to keep it in top notch condition even after the warranty expired.

hmmmmmm now where is that lotto ticket I bought for last Saturday's draw?????

My top considerations would be reliability, comfort and performance.

Reliability:

It must work each and every time it is asked to work, and it must work right away, and it must work well. RSV does that. I have confidence in Honda, so I suspect that the GW1800 does that. I don't know about the Kaw -- just don't have enough information. The HD has less of a reputation for reliability and it has that the heat problem. I cannot take seriously that HD has addressed the heat coming off of an air cooled V-twin that has outgrown its design, and their solution is to shut down half of the engine. That's a patch for a problem, not a design for a great engine. I don't really know about Beemers or the Vision either -- not enough information.

Comfort:

There are several factors in this. If the bike is small or the foot position is too close, then I feel cramped. That leaves out the GW, BMW and HD. According to what I've read, the Kaw is out, too. The Vision is the best -- I've had a test ride, and they have great leg room. Seats are replaceable, so that is not a deciding factor for me. Some of these bikes can have other pegs added, but they are awkward. Highway pegs on a GW make the rider splay his/her legs out. RSV and Vision win this category for me.

Performance:

Not just zoom-zoom, but performance meaning the ability to do the job asked of the bike, and do it so well that it keeps me smiling. RSV just doesn't let me down. I have helped it out some by using a narrower-than-stock front tire and leveling links. The other bikes probably work well, too. The GW has a reputation for sporty riding. I rode the Vision and was not impressed with its power, compared to the RSV.

Other:

RSV: great looks (a matter of taste).

Kaw: I kind of like the looks

Vision: Ugly

HD Ultra: #2 in looks behind the RSV.

BMW: I never saw one that wasn't ugly from at least one angle.

About Gauges:

What's the point? We must have speedometers so we can manage our compliance with the law. A clock allows us to manage our lives -- I want to know how much time I have to get to my next destination. Fuel meter is very helpful for managing a necessary resource. Any other gauge is only useful if the bike is so unreliable that you have to keep an eye on it all the time. I have a voltmeter on my RSV because its charging system is only marginally adequate, so I feel the need to watch it. Why would i want to know about the water temp, oil temp, oil pressure on a bike that has virtually no reports of ever having an issue with any of those things? RPMs -- are you really looking down at the tachometer to decide whether it's time to shift gears? I'm happy with the neat styling of the wide speedometer on the RSV.

my top considerations would be reliability, comfort and performance.

Reliability:

It must work each and every time it is asked to work, and it must work right away, and it must work well. Rsv does that. I have confidence in honda, so i suspect that the gw1800 does that. I don't know about the kaw -- just don't have enough information. The hd has less of a reputation for reliability and it has that the heat problem. I cannot take seriously that hd has addressed the heat coming off of an air cooled v-twin that has outgrown its design, and their solution is to shut down half of the engine. That's a patch for a problem, not a design for a great engine. I don't really know about beemers or the vision either -- not enough information.

Comfort:

There are several factors in this. If the bike is small or the foot position is too close, then i feel cramped. That leaves out the gw, bmw and hd. According to what i've read, the kaw is out, too. The vision is the best -- i've had a test ride, and they have great leg room. Seats are replaceable, so that is not a deciding factor for me. Some of these bikes can have other pegs added, but they are awkward. Highway pegs on a gw make the rider splay his/her legs out. Rsv and vision win this category for me.

Performance:

Not just zoom-zoom, but performance meaning the ability to do the job asked of the bike, and do it so well that it keeps me smiling. Rsv just doesn't let me down. I have helped it out some by using a narrower-than-stock front tire and leveling links. The other bikes probably work well, too. The gw has a reputation for sporty riding. I rode the vision and was not impressed with its power, compared to the rsv.

Other:

Rsv: Great looks (a matter of taste).

Kaw: I kind of like the looks

vision: Ugly

hd ultra: #2 in looks behind the rsv.

Bmw: I never saw one that wasn't ugly from at least one angle.

About gauges:

What's the point? We must have speedometers so we can manage our compliance with the law. A clock allows us to manage our lives -- i want to know how much time i have to get to my next destination. Fuel meter is very helpful for managing a necessary resource. Any other gauge is only useful if the bike is so unreliable that you have to keep an eye on it all the time. I have a voltmeter on my rsv because its charging system is only marginally adequate, so i feel the need to watch it. Why would i want to know about the water temp, oil temp, oil pressure on a bike that has virtually no reports of ever having an issue with any of those things? Rpms -- are you really looking down at the tachometer to decide whether it's time to shift gears? I'm happy with the neat styling of the wide speedometer on the rsv.

now this is what i'm talking about. It's great to get someone else's view on thinks. I never really thought about the gages like that. Great reply thanks.

Don't leave out the BMW K1200LT. If it fits you, it is a really great touring bike.

That'd be my choice, but not a new one. The older ones (pre-'05?) get better mileage, hence more range on a tank.

Besides, they only made my favorite Canyon Red Metallic in '99 and 2000.

I have an '07 RSV and an '03 H-D Ultra. The RSV is more comfortable for long rides but the Ultra is not bad. I have put in long rides on both. A lot of the objections to the H-D Ultra have been addressed in the '09 upgrades; longer wheel base with more room for rider and passenger, re-routed the exhaust to get away from passengers right leg. I am looking at the '10 Ultra limited which comes with the larger 103 cu. in. engine and ABS standard. Just sitting on it my wife says it is as comfortable and has comparable room as the RSV. Haven't ridden one yet but it makes it a much closer call. The real question is......is it worth the extra money to get a CD instead of the tape deck?

Would you consider the new Kawa Nomad as an option? One of the best looking bikes on the road, hard luggage (no tour pack but a luggage rack is available), plenty of power and, from what I read elsewhere, pretty doggone comfortable for the passenger. At approx. 13 or 14K, it should be quite a bit cheaper than some of your other options.

Just a suggestion.

If money were no object, I would have my '86 VR recreated brand new, it has everthing I need, and nothing I don't. Oh, a couple minor changes, a plug for mp3 player and a CD player.

If not that, then the BMW K1200-LT, or the GW1800. I tried a new Ultra and the vibration would just get too me, same with the heat off the engine.

I wanted a new bike and unfortunately money was some what of a consideration. I finally narrowed my choice to two. The GW and the RSV. I loved the power of the GW, but it just didn't feel right to me. The folks from this site sealed the deal.

:080402gudl_prv:

What would I buy?????????????

I would buy a new bike for my husband:thumbsup2: Since the accident(2007) he has sold the ute I bought him, and then his ST1300 -- to keep us going financially. Should have sold my bike, but he wanted to see me ride again:happy34: I day-dream about it often -- taking him to pick up his new machine !! Plan to do that if the insurance claim is successful. What bike would I get: Either an ST1300 or Kwaka Nomad, I think :scratchchin:

If money were no object, I would have my '86 VR recreated brand new, it has everthing I need, and nothing I don't. Oh, a couple minor changes, a plug for mp3 player and a CD player.

If not that, then the BMW K1200-LT, or the GW1800. I tried a new Ultra and the vibration would just get too me, same with the heat off the engine.

Interesting so many talk about the vibration of the new Ultra. I assume the reference to "new" is a 2009. Well, I've road tested them 3 different times and 2 of the 3 showed hardly any vibration at all when idling...at least none that bothered me and once rolling, basically none at all. In fact, I get more "buzz" in my handlegrips on my RSV than what I noticed on the Ultra. As for engine heat, I can't comment coz I never really felt any but then again, the outside temps were only 20 degrees celcius. The one that did vibrate when idling was quite obvious but it really didn't bother me coz one doesn't sit idling that long. That's an interesting thing tho...and I've watched for this many times whenever I see an Ultra at a stop light...some vibrate like crazy while others are relatively smooth. Maybe that's a parallel to the RSV's... some have the clutch whine/chirp while others don't.

I was tossed back and forth the same way until I found my 2009 RSV. By the way WANDERER, where did you get that picture of my bike? Just kidding. Mine looked like that until I added the backrest from DiamondR Accessories. That made all the difference in the long rides.

I was tossed back and forth the same way until I found my 2009 RSV. By the way WANDERER, where did you get that picture of my bike? Just kidding. Mine looked like that until I added the backrest from DiamondR Accessories. That made all the difference in the long rides.

Crazy Frog.

That looks like a ultra in the back ground of your pic. Is it your? If so whats your take?

Read this months Rider magazine. They have a shootout of all 4 of the bikes you listed except the Goldwing. but to me, it does not look like a motorcycle. The Harley and the Venture tied for first place. Yea, amazing isn't it...A 10 year old design, tied with a bike that gets upgrades all the time...I love my RSV, even with all the quirks...

That's a stock photo. ;) I've added the luggage rack and am working on getting a backrest, although; so far I've had no real problems riding all day as she is. :big-grin-emoticon:

You know - this a question that has often raised its ugly head, especially when I'm watching Millionaire's Hot Seat and the host is asking, "What would you do with a million dollars?"

I put myself in the hot seat, have a quick think, look ouside at my RSV and say to myself, "Why?" [ 'nuf sed! ]

Well, this is an easy one to answer.....

If money were no object, that means that I'd be Snarley Bill, and then I'd buy something different every year.....and never get rid of the old ones until the garage was clear full.....so then I could have them all and my biggest problem would be deciding which one to ride every day!

:D:D:D

Joe

If it were still in production I would buy a Honda Valkyrie Interstate

http://www.jerryeasley.com/Portals/0/valkyrie.jpg

Dual headlights, a boxter 6 cylinder engine (low center of gravity) with LOTS of HP!!!!! and torque!!!!

HUGE gas tank, powerful stereo and a large alternator!!!!

Water cooled!! and I love the four trunk mounted tail lights. Nice and high up!!!!

IF it was in production today, it would have the 1800 cc fuel injected engine that is in the GW.

It would be a killer bike.

Sadly Honda decided to take this bike out of production in 2002 and there is no rumors that it will come back into production, so I will just have to wait to see what Yamaha does with the 3rd Gen RSV........