IGNORED

How fast with a Trailer?

craigatcsi

I've had my trailer up to 85mph and no issues. Probably safest at posted speed.

The main issue with a trailer isn't speed as much as how it's loaded and making sure you have an adequate, but not over weight tongue on the trailer. 10% of the total weight of the trailer is the general rule, just watch your hitch capacity.

I too must have hit 80 or 85 at least a few times...mostly when passing somebody up.

I don't cruise that fast any more... even if I don't have the trailer on. Once you've paid your lot of tickets...it actually DOES work at making you change your bad driving habits :(

B'sides...when I'm on my bike, I'm out to enjoy my ride. No need to hurry anymore.

Guest Swifty
What is the fastest you have pulled your Trailer with your bike?

95mph

Next question......

What is the fastest SAFE speed to pull a trailer with a bike?

5mph

is anything to do with bikes very safe?

I would say that if you have a trailer with very small tires, try to keep max weight down, keep air pressure high (follow trailer mfgr and the tire sidewall for MAX pressures), and check the tires and bearings often for excess heat. I would say stay close to the posted limits.

If you have bigger tires, then 85 or so would safer, though still, the best bet is to always keep about 10% total trailer and load weight on the hitch ball, and touch test the tires and bearings at every stop. Don't forget to check your bikes rear tire too!

What is the fastest you have pulled your Trailer with your bike? My trailer weighs around 300 to 350 loaded. I have hit 85 a couple of times for a short distance. Usually run around 65 or 70 mph.

Next question......

What is the fastest SAFE speed to pull a trailer with a bike? That is a loaded question.

craigr

Can't say the fastest but Cruiseing at 75 seems pretty good, but following Naugh-T home from Arkansas I know we were cruising faster than that.

I think pulling the trailer just increases risk so not sure what you can consider safe speed.

BRad

As for the fastest , both the Muffinman and myself have pegged the speedo pulling our trailers . My comfort speed is 65-70 on the highway , 5 under the SL on the back roads if the wife and I are solo . Kinda hard to go that slow with some of the group I hang around with .

BEER30

How fast...........

Now that is a loaded question if you ask me.

It all depends on if you want to enjoy the ride...or if your pulling it just trying to MAKE TIME..

If it's the latter, you are truely playing rullette because it would be a 50/ 50 chance that something could happen or could not..

So ...if you want to go faster them the posted limits..I guess you have to ask youself...

Do I feel lucky today.........:confused24:

How fast...........

Now that is a loaded question if you ask me.

It all depends on if you want to enjoy the ride...or if your pulling it just trying to MAKE TIME..

If it's the latter, you are truely playing rullette because it would be a 50/ 50 chance that something could happen or could not..

So ...if you want to go faster them the posted limits..I guess you have to ask youself...

Do I feel lucky today.........:confused24:

So, on Friday, I am going to have to keep the speed around 60, just so the GW and trailer you are pulling can keep up. :stirthepot::whistling:

So, on Friday, I am going to have to keep the speed around 60, just so the GW and trailer you are pulling can keep up. :stirthepot::whistling:

No need to worry my friend.... it is one of those dont do as I do but do what I say things..

I feel lucky......I pulled it 75 mph to Ohio and didnt know it was there...and at one time 105mph..and that was stupid...but I wanted to see if there was a difference or if it wagged behind me which it did not..

And once I disconnect it, we can see who can keep up..... !!!

I am soooooooo looking to Thurdsday and this coming weekend...

You guys ride safe to Birmingham.. see you there.

Eck

85 is the fastest.

Only run at 65 with the trailer on as I found that I had to stop every hour for gas...

The RSV is a real pig over 65 when towing any weight...

With me it is probably has to do with all the weight that is already in the saddle...