IGNORED

Trailer Disaster!

1joeranger

Driving my trailer across the US and Canada has gotten a lot of attention from people everywhere. One the questions I am always asked is "How does she pull?" My response has always been: "I do not even know she is back there!" That proved true yesterday evening!

We where 2 miles from our exit for the evening when my girlfriend pounded me on the back "The trailer has come off" I look in my mirror and sure enough the trailer is sliding down US 101 Pacific Hiway and no longer being towed by mau! I never felt the trailer come off the hitch and if my girlfriend had not heard it come off we would just keep on going.

We pulled off the side of the highway and watched as the trailer continued to slide first down the road, then onto the shoulder, and then off into the ravine! I am sitting there wondering what happened? and why didn't the safety chains kick in? and thank God no one is hurt!

I ventured down into the ravine to the overturned trailer. Our gear was scattered here and there but the trailer was intact. Upon inspection I saw that the alltread of the hitch ball had come undone. That explained what happened. Looking closer I saw that the bracket which the safety chains were attached to was secured to the all thread. When that came off so did the safety chain bracket. In retrospect I am really glad that happened!

I had a clothes line which I attached to my bike and used to body reppel into the ravine to retrieve most of our gear! Unfortunately The clothes line was not strong enough to haul the trailer up out of the ravine. It was funny but I was not really concerned. I mean, it was just stuff, no one was hurt.

In situations like this I really put a lot of trust in God! Sure enough within a half hour a man named Jim stops to help. Jim owns a Kal Vulcan. He does not have a rope but he does call someone who does. That turns out to be Dennis and his son, Russ, show up and they have a hoist. Very soon after the trailer is back on the shoulder. I have no way of reattaching her to the bike but no biggy. Dennis and Russ have a 1 7/8" ball hitch on their 4 wheeler, just no tools. They go get tools return and help me install the ball. They both, of course, are bike riders to. Will not accept payment!

By then two hours have elapsed! CHIP has shown up, another bike rider has shown up and everyone is helping. The trailer has minor damage at best, scractes and one hinge is partly damaged, and I have gotten into some poison oak. God really does love me. We are back on the road continuing our journey through out the US!

WOW...glad everything and everyone is OK.

It's strange the way these situations magnetically pull folks together with the same interests & mindsets. Your helpers were also glad to see you folks safely returning to your trip...how could they possibly accept your money??!! :sun:

What kinda trailer are you pulling??

Have fun & be careful on your trip. GodSpeed!

So glad nobody was hurt and the event proved the basic goodness of most people. Must have been a heart warming end to what started so bad.

Does make a point that I have been telling people for many years, and before that my dad told it to me. At the beginning of any trailering adventure/trip, check that everything is tight and proper. That includes the Ball and ball mount in addition to the hitch and wheels on the trailer.

At every stop, check the tires/bearings and look over everything. Bring a wrench that fits the ball nut and check it regularly.

Yep, someone was definatley watching over you two..

It could have been the both of you over that ravien and your trailer ending up just sitting on the shoulder of the highway and then someone come along and steel it, only to leave you two down in the ravine on your own for days....

Very luck you both are for sure....I am glad to hear it turned out the way it did and you are able to continue your trip of adventures again..:thumbsup2:

Your Guardian Angel saved your bacon for sure! Nice to know there are folks out there who will go the extra mile to help someone too.:cool10:

Boomer.....who knows darn well if it had been me that incident would have busted every bottle of hooch in the trailer.

Lady luck was with you in more ways than one Alamo: The trailer did not put you down (mine did and it totalled the bike, my trailer and me); The cop didn't give you a ticket for negligent towing (mine did); your trailer did not run into and wreck another vehicle; and neither you nor your girlfriend were injured (I spent 4 days in hospital and months recovering). Trailers may not feel like they are there for thousands of miles but, the threat of this kind of thing happening is always there whether we like to believe it or not: and many don't. It is sort of like helmets ya know. Many folks ride without them and then their family pays the price when they mash their brains out. Anyway, glad everything went your way THIS TIME! Be really careful when towing in future.

Airborne ;)

Cliff

Edited by slipstreamer
Forgot a bit of info

Don't you just love 99% of the MC community. Great people we are. I'm glad those folks stopped to help you out and that you guys are safe. Stuff can be replaced, lives can't.

To top it all off YOU GOT ONE HECK OF A STORY TO TELL, the rest of your life. That's priceless.

Again I am glad everyone is safe and nothing major came of it. Could have come off and went head on into traffic. Somebody was watching out over everyone on that stretch of the highway at that time.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone "IS" watching over us and then I hear about things like this happening and get reassured.

Here are the pictures to complement the story! I have considered all the what if scenarios and have to agree with everyone here. As a previous pilot I go through a pretty good pre- ride check list each morning before riding. Even as careful as I have been I was not careful enough. Glad I try to live as God wants me to. That is the only reason I am able to send emails today!!

So, is that the "Kitchen Sink" on top?

My sentiments exactly. I was wondering what I was looking at in the picture of the trailer still in the ravine. It looked like a trailer hitched to a vehicle of some kind. Unless that thing is filled with feathers I would expect it is way too much of a load to be pulling behind a motorcycle. My camper was in the order of 300 lbs and I can tell you that when they decide to fishtail there is no way that you are going to stop it and it is going to put you down. Your only option is to jump clear of the mess so you don't get mangled by the machinery. I have since replaced that trailer with a similar SportCamper and have towed it once: Never again! I will not even sell it to another motorcyclist because it is just too risky. Motorcycle manufacturers do not manufacture motorcycle trailers for good reason. They know that they are not safe. I wish everyone well that tows a trailer behind their motorcycle but I know that they are taking an unnecessary risk. Everyone who does this please learn and follow all of the safety precautions that apply to trailering and realize that even then, it is still a high risk activity. :soapbox: Good luck :thumbsup2:

Cliff

I have no problems pulling a trailer...and have gone through a few 'panic stops' with it too.

I tend to load mine up pretty good too, and have just upgraded from my old Trav-Lite, to a super nice Kwik-Kamp!! :banana:

Some folks think that pulling a trailer is nuts behind a bike. To them I say..."it's probably best that you NOT do it then".

and some folks think its just plain nuts to RIDE A BIKE!!!........and to them I say..."it's probably best that you DON'T RIDE A BIKE then!............easy enough, huh??

Here's my old set-up from last year's trip to Bonneville Speed Week...

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_b12d8c107a0c9812a5021a5cbecfcc3e.jpg

I have no problems pulling a trailer...

I had no problem either Patrick until mine put me down. That experience tends to get one's attention and reminds one of one's mortality. I towed mine for thousands of miles and "never knew it was there". But, when it started fish-tailing, and I could not get it back under control, I sure knew it was there. Anyway, I know that in order to travel comfortably over the long haul a trailer is probably necessary. It is just taking it for granted and putting everything in God's hands that gets us in trouble. So, as I said, Good luck to all who do. I just hope that everyone that does tow takes the time to learn the do's and don'ts of trailering and remains totally vigilant at all times while doing so.

Cliff :thumbsup2:

So, is that the "Kitchen Sink" on top?

My sentiments exactly. I was wondering what I was looking at in the picture of the trailer still in the ravine. It looked like a trailer hitched to a vehicle of some kind. Unless that thing is filled with feathers I would expect it is way too much of a load to be pulling behind a motorcycle. My camper was in the order of 300 lbs and I can tell you that when they decide to fishtail there is no way that you are going to stop it and it is going to put you down. Your only option is to jump clear of the mess so you don't get mangled by the machinery. I have since replaced that trailer with a similar SportCamper and have towed it once: Never again! I will not even sell it to another motorcyclist because it is just too risky. Motorcycle manufacturers do not manufacture motorcycle trailers for good reason. They know that they are not safe. I wish everyone well that tows a trailer behind their motorcycle but I know that they are taking an unnecessary risk. Everyone who does this please learn and follow all of the safety precautions that apply to trailering and realize that even then, it is still a high risk activity. :soapbox: Good luck :thumbsup2:

Cliff

Sorry but I just have to add my two cents to this.

I built my trailer and loaded with ALL our stuff it weighs in at 896lbs (with no beer & ice in the cooler) on our local elevator scales. And I only had about 15 to 20 lbs of tong weight the whole trip. I never have more than that unless the cooler is full. I have pulled this trailer with my Honda Shadow Spirit the same way for 11 years. It only has 56hp and it pulled and pulls it fine. I just got back from the Badlands and Black Hills of South Dakota and ran the interstate across SD with the cruse set at 80mph (all the faster the cruse would work) and the bike purred like a kitten and trailer pulled straight and true. Was our first "long" trip with the "05" RSV, "wife says there will be many more as she loves the RSV.

When we were heading out to SD we were on I29 south of Sioux City and it was raining hard on us. I had just put NEW Avon s on, front and rear for the trip that most everyone on the site raves about. When I passed a camper the RSV front wheel took a one foot jump to the left then instantly back to the right. YES it was the "High speed wobble"! :yikes:.... I learned to ride on plowed fields and gravel roads and ditches. So this "to me" was like loose gravel or riding the furrow in the field only at 75mph. It did not scare me until I pulled into the rest area to see if the new tire went flat or what the heck happened. At this point I was mad that the bike did this. That is when I thought CRAP I could have killed us both. I ask my wife if she was scared or wanted to not ride for a while or what she was thinking. She told me after seeing how other people ride and riding with me for 18 years, she was not scared at all, and knows if anything was to happen to us on the bike then it would have to be an act of God cause she knows I would pull it out some how cause I am weird that way? :think:

Not sure if it hydroplaned or hit one of the thousand or so "tar snakes" on that road. Or I was told in South Dakota that Avon s puts a coating on the tires and I should have road at least 500 miles before ever riding in the rain. Not sure if that is true or not but that is what the dealer said when I took it in to make sure nothing was wrong that I could not see.

The rest of the trip was uneventful except for Wyoming roads and those tar snakes. Man I have never had any bike hate the tar snakes as bad as this RSV does. It just wants to follow the tar, not where I want it to go. What's up with that? :confused24: Is that something that the "leveling kit" for the rear shock, would cure? :scratchchin:

Anyway, morel of the story is DON'T GIVE UP. If we would have baled we would be dead, as it was, we had a GREAT trip! :sign woo hoo:

Bryan.........Who thinks everyone should learn to ride in the plowed fields!

Edited by bryan52577

Wow, 896 lbs at 80 mph. Many states have laws that call for reduced speed while towing, and that is for good reason. There is also a towing weight restriction for every vehicle which includes the vehicle load: 150% would not be it! I hope that overloaded trailer has its own brakes? For your wife's sake I also hope that your good luck continues to hold because that is what it is, just plain good luck: Nothing to do with skill or wisdom. I hope those that read this thread do not follow your example. It is the most extreme example of defiance of conventional trailering wisdom that I have read to date and you are the best example of an accident waiting to happen that I have seen. By the way, you have no choice but to stay with your rig whatever happens given that you are carrying a passenger but I hate to think what would happen if you, or your passenger (wife), get pinned beneath 896 lbs of angry, grinding trailer while sliding down the asphalt at 80 mph.

I believe that all of us here have a responsibility to each other to comment responsibly so that we do not leave our fellow riders with bad or even dangerous advice. There are many sites that contain good information for safe trailering. I suggest that anyone who tows, or plans to tow, a trailer consult one or more of these websites to ensure that they will be towing safely. I did not do enough of that and I paid the price for my ignorance. Here is one link: http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm. Towing a trailer with any vehicle, particularly a motorcycle, is serious business.

Cliff

I did not sleep well last night cause I was considering the responses regarding my trailer size from yesterday. This morning it was neat to see others who see trailering as I do. I know my trailer does not fit the "norm", it fits me! I spent all of last year working on her welding, painting, greasing the bearings, and learning everything I could about trailering. Upon finishing my project I found that my tongue weight exceeded what most considered safe. Upon advice from members here I re-engineered the trailer and bought a heavy duty hitch. The results: 7,854 miles since July 10th. Attained the summit of Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina on Blue Ridge Parkway. Attained the pass on Mt. Bighorn near Cody, SD at elevation 9666' Got 44mpg near Bend, Oregon driving at a consistent 63mph on a calm windless day. Got 26mph driving 80mph on a terrible windy day along the Interstate in Idaho. Have had to emergency brake several times due to cars pulling in front of me. All of that and never knew the trailer was behind me. Please before anyone says yhea, but the trailer came off in went into a ditch. The part that came undone was assembled by the manufacturer. It had little to do with the size of my trailer. It would be the same as saying "See I told you Motorcycles are dangerous that's why your front tire blew!" You most remember I use to jump out of airplanes, actually as a jumpmaster I use to throw people out of airplanes! Dangerous? You bet! Exciting? You bet!

I know some will never agree with me on any of this. OK, I respect your opinions, and I thank you for trying to help all of us stay safe. This thread, I hope, is about the kindness that can still be found out in a world where it always seems to be about greed, fear, and hatred. Yhea, I ain't buying that either! It's about how proud I am about my trailer and the heck with you naysayers!!!

I did not sleep well last night cause I was considering the responses regarding my trailer size from yesterday. This morning it was neat to see others who see trailering as I do. I know my trailer does not fit the "norm", it fits me! I spent all of last year working on her welding, painting, greasing the bearings, and learning everything I could about trailering. Upon finishing my project I found that my tongue weight exceeded what most considered safe. Upon advice from members here I re-engineered the trailer and bought a heavy duty hitch. The results: 7,854 miles since July 10th. Attained the summit of Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina on Blue Ridge Parkway. Attained the pass on Mt. Bighorn near Cody, SD at elevation 9666' Got 44mpg near Bend, Oregon driving at a consistent 63mph on a calm windless day. Got 26mph driving 80mph on a terrible windy day along the Interstate in Idaho. Have had to emergency brake several times due to cars pulling in front of me. All of that and never knew the trailer was behind me. Please before anyone says yhea, but the trailer came off in went into a ditch. The part that came undone was assembled by the manufacturer. It had little to do with the size of my trailer. It would be the same as saying "See I told you Motorcycles are dangerous that's why your front tire blew!" You most remember I use to jump out of airplanes, actually as a jumpmaster I use to throw people out of airplanes! Dangerous? You bet! Exciting? You bet!

I know some will never agree with me on any of this. OK, I respect your opinions, and I thank you for trying to help all of us stay safe. This thread, I hope, is about the kindness that can still be found out in a world where it always seems to be about greed, fear, and hatred. Yhea, I ain't buying that either! It's about how proud I am about my trailer and the heck with you naysayers!!!

I don't trailer Yet, I say touch her up, hook her up, and let her roll. Do it the way you want, the way you have been and enjoy the trip. Be careful out there.