IGNORED

Insurance now MANDATORY in WI!

a1bummer

Ya, I did back in the day... when I was more mischievous. When I lived in MN. it was tough to come up with the money to pay for minimum insurance. When I moved back to WI. I had no problem affording full coverage. I've seen a lot of hit and runs in MN. Lost count of how many times my car was hit. My sisters too. I never seen anyone take responsibility for it either. I've seen a case where a good driver who was barely able to afford insurance get into on minor fender bender and took responsibility for it, and then couldn't afford the insurance anymore. One thing leads to another, and that person loses their license, but has to get back and forth to work, drives anyway, and things just keep getting worse for them. Once your in the hole, it's tougher than hell to get out. True story. It was me. I'm totally legal nowadays, but avoid MN. like the plague.

heh ... just be thankful you don't have government insurance (which is forced on ya with no competitors), especially the ICBC (Insurance Corp of BC) that we have here.

I have a clean driving record and get the highest rate reduction available and I still pay in excess of $2000/yr for my insurance (one mil 3rd party, $500 deductible comprehensive, $1000 deductible collision)

And that's just for the scoot!

Having said that tho, EVERYONE should at the very least carry 3rd party liability insurance.

heh ... just be thankful you don't have government insurance (which is forced on ya with no competitors), especially the ICBC (Insurance Corp of BC) that we have here.

I have a clean driving record and get the highest rate reduction available and I still pay in excess of $2000/yr for my insurance (one mil 3rd party, $500 deductible comprehensive, $1000 deductible collision)

And that's just for the scoot!

Having said that tho, EVERYONE should at the very least carry 3rd party liability insurance.

SilvrT, I just wouldn't be riding a scoot if I had to pay that plus car, plus house, plus life, plus, plus, plus.

:crying::crying::crying:

SilvrT, I just wouldn't be riding a scoot if I had to pay that plus car, plus house, plus life, plus, plus, plus.

:crying::crying::crying:

well, it's just one of those many "high prices" one has to pay to live in such a beautiful province! BC and especially the West Coast has been that way for a long time.

Now I am not the brightest bulb on the tree, but how is mandatory insurance a bad thing. It is mandatory in North Carolina also but the illegals and misfits don't pay for it now. When they kill someone on the interstate the feds deport them only to come back two, three, four more times to create mayhem. I wish it were truly mandatory and enforced.

:farmer:

This is kinda like a big yawn--------------

The penalty is a whopping $10----

Steve

In MN the penalty is you get to keep $10, they take everything else. They will impound your vehicle and can put you in jail.

Insurance is the biggest scam ever pulled on the people of the US.:2cents:

Why???? Don't just say something.....Give us a reason for that strange statement !!!!!!

My worst nightmare is to get whacked by some uninsured flake who owns nothing but the skin on his sorry ass yet doesn't think twice about flying down the road while legally loaded !!!!:yikes:

As a counter point to the cost of insurance in B.C. our cost for medical insurance is tiny compared to yours in the states. For my wife and I it is $40.00/month or $480.00/year.

How do you get away with only $40/mo ... we pay $98

Truth of the matter, sadly, is this.....

Required or not, there are people who will, by choice or by necessity, drive uninsured. Most of the insured drivers are covered for medical only. And state minimums, at that....

Many of the people who drive uninsured are driving without a license, or on a suspended license.

Most of these folks, if not jailed, will be driving again as soon as they are released.

Mandatory insurance does little or nothing to alter this fact, except to give insurance companies unfair leverage and the ability to price gouge....they're all in concensus with rates. Competition has very little to do with it.

Consider this scenario;

Three years after I'd bought my Buell Cyclone, my insurance carrier sent me a renewal notice. My premium had DOUBLED!!!!

I was outraged. I called my agent, who referred me to national HQ. I got a hold of a poor soul and proceeded to ream her a new one. She was almost in tears, and apologetic, but the only answer I got was, no, it was not my driving record. No tickets, nothing. Safe driver citation and all. No, the reason they doubled the rates was that some doofus at national, upon reviewing the specs for an M2 Cyclone, arbitrarily decided to reclassify it from Sport/Touring to Sport Bike. Hence the rate hike....across the board!

What a bunch of utter bull****!

I told her so. She passed me on to her manager, who I told in no uncertain terms to go pound sand, I'd take my biz elsewhere. I signed with another company that year, which pulled the same tactic the following year on renewal. Insurance is nothing more than a high stakes poker game for insurance companies. Your personal performance has NOTHING to do with your rate.....unless it is NEGATIVE performance. Then, they're all over you with rate hikes, cancellation threats, etc.

Incidentally, I agree completely that nobody should be riding OR driving without insurance. But call it for what it is; price it based on national averages, but reward safe and mature riders with steep performance based discounts instead of punishing the sons and daughters for the sins of the fathers.:innocent-emoticon:

Man, that felt good!:yikes:

truth of the matter, sadly, is this.....

Required or not, there are people who will, by choice or by necessity, drive uninsured. Most of the insured drivers are covered for medical only. And state minimums, at that....

Many of the people who drive uninsured are driving without a license, or on a suspended license.

Most of these folks, if not jailed, will be driving again as soon as they are released.

Mandatory insurance does little or nothing to alter this fact, except to give insurance companies unfair leverage and the ability to price gouge....they're all in concensus with rates. Competition has very little to do with it.

Consider this scenario;

three years after i'd bought my buell cyclone, my insurance carrier sent me a renewal notice. My premium had doubled!!!!

I was outraged. I called my agent, who referred me to national hq. I got a hold of a poor soul and proceeded to ream her a new one. She was almost in tears, and apologetic, but the only answer i got was, no, it was not my driving record. No tickets, nothing. Safe driver citation and all. No, the reason they doubled the rates was that some doofus at national, upon reviewing the specs for an m2 cyclone, arbitrarily decided to reclassify it from sport/touring to sport bike. Hence the rate hike....across the board!

What a bunch of utter bull****!

I told her so. She passed me on to her manager, who i told in no uncertain terms to go pound sand, i'd take my biz elsewhere. I signed with another company that year, which pulled the same tactic the following year on renewal. Insurance is nothing more than a high stakes poker game for insurance companies. Your personal performance has nothing to do with your rate.....unless it is negative performance. Then, they're all over you with rate hikes, cancellation threats, etc.

Incidentally, i agree completely that nobody should be riding or driving without insurance. But call it for what it is; price it based on national averages, but reward safe and mature riders with steep performance based discounts instead of punishing the sons and daughters for the sins of the fathers.:innocent-emoticon:

Man, that felt good!:yikes:

ya that!

When I lived in Idaho many, many years ago - you could not register your vehicle (or renew registration) w/o proof of insurance. Since it's really the vehicle that's insured, not the driver - that seemed like a good idea to me.

(although I have no doubt someone here will disagree:Avatars_Gee_George: )

No insurance, no plates. I don't recall what the penalty was if you cancelled coverage and got caught driving the car w/o insurance - it would have to be substantial. And I don't know if the ins. co had to notify if the insance was cancelled - that would seem likely. But I do recall that when you got pulled over it was - "License, registration and prooof of insurance, please."

There will always be some people that drive w/o insurance, no matter what laws are passed.

As a counter point to the cost of insurance in B.C. our cost for medical insurance is tiny compared to yours in the states. For my wife and I it is $40.00/month or $480.00/year.

My health insurance is paid for by my employer. :cool10:

Hey, we all know Insurance Companies are one of the Richest Companies in the world. So it is just a matter of time before they Pay Off the right people to pass laws in all States.

Michigan Insurance is horrible, and with all the lay offs here, peoples credit scores have gone way down. Insurance Companies charge thousands more on Credit Risk, Not Driving Records, but because your credit score is low, and the Govenor of Michigan supports the Insurance Companies for Discriminating on Credit Scores, (you know she gets a money pie kick back hidden in some foreign account).

Why do you think they have so much trouble trying to pass a uniform Health Insurance Bill. The Insurance Companies would loose Billions, so they keep paying off the right Congressmen so Bills won't pass, and screw the hardworking american people that barly get by. Just my 2 cents. Later-

My health insurance is paid for by my employer. :cool10:

In reality, mine is too. I get the value of it added to my paycheque (just for my portion) and then I have to pay the medical (for both). Similarly, my wife's pay includes her share of the medical so the end result is, nothing out of our pockets.