IGNORED

Rev Limiter Limits

Hey guys, on my 06 Midnight, I did a bunch of maintenance on it this week that the ol' girl is a teenager again.. full of spirit and light on her feet..

The ONE thing I could never do with this bike is reach the rev limiter when accelerating onto the highway as the engine sounds like it might truly kill itself.. no joke.. I'm almost wondering if the previous owner disabled it somehow..

Yesterday was a a fun day after installing leveling links, flushing hydraulic clutch fluids, tightening the steering head, etc etc.. that I pushed the bike super hard to get a feel of the bike anew again.. no kidding it's like having a new bike.. wow.

When accelerating hard and fast yesterday, I tried to reach the rev limiter to see and feel where it was, I was bound and determined to feel the 'tripping of the engine' that indicates the rev limiter kicking in.. but a quick glance to the speedo I spotting the engine oil light coming on and go off as I shifter, though never having reached the rev limiter..

Having just done an oil change, I wondered if I was low, but the fluid level in the sight glass shows half up the glass..

Is the sensation of the rev limiter kicking in on the Venture as noticeable as on the VStar for example? Does your oil light come on when YOU hit the rev limiter..

Is there something else I should be checking as well ?

What speeds does your rev limiter kick in when in first gear?

My biggest fear is blowing the engine because the previous owner had disengaged the rev limiter and forgot to tell me.. ya know?

Wind speed and BUGS.. wooo hoooo

I don't remember what speed the rev limited kicks in but it is VERY noticeable. The bike will just fall on its face. I have a tach on mine and I'm thinking that it used to come in at around 6250 but I may be wrong. I now have a Dyno ignition module and it has an adjustable rev limiter. Mine is set on 7250 now. You might want to look and see if he has added the Dyno to your bike. You have to pull the battery and battery box to get to it. The old TCI would be black but the Dyno is red. Actually, you may be able to just use a flashlight and look down below the battery box and see it. You have to pull the battery and box to change it though. I hit it a number of times before I upgraded to the Dyno and never got the sensation that I was close to blowing the engine up. It came in too early for me.

Dont know what speed but around 93 94 or so in 3rd. If your not hitting the limiter you havnt seen the full power of it yet! Tom. NOW, They may have put on a power commander that increases the revs so I know nothing of how to determine that.

My rev limiter kicks in at about 40 in first, 70 in second - I have hit 95 in 3rd without hitting the limiter and went ahead and shifted to 4th. 95 in 3rd is screaming.

I happen to have the owners manual laying beside me this morning and noticed earlier that it specifically states that the oil level light may come on or flicker when travelling on uneven ground or under hard accel/decel.

If you are getting to 40 or 45 in 1st and the limiter isn't kicking in, I would say it has been disabled. If your not getting up to that, you aren't there yet.

But I think you have to add a module (power commander or something like that) to change the limiter - I don't think it can be easily just disabled.

I have a 04 Venture and at 95 to 98 miles an hour the rev-limiter comes on. You will know when you hit it. It rev's and rev's and rev's and that's it. You get no more RPM's or speed until you shift.

I don't remember what speed the rev limited kicks in but it is VERY noticeable. The bike will just fall on its face. I have a tach on mine and I'm thinking that it used to come in at around 6250 but I may be wrong. I now have a Dyno ignition module and it has an adjustable rev limiter. Mine is set on 7250 now. You might want to look and see if he has added the Dyno to your bike. You have to pull the battery and battery box to get to it. The old TCI would be black but the Dyno is red. Actually, you may be able to just use a flashlight and look down below the battery box and see it. You have to pull the battery and box to change it though. I hit it a number of times before I upgraded to the Dyno and never got the sensation that I was close to blowing the engine up. It came in too early for me.

I think the bike has the OEM module as I had the battery and box out trying to figure out how to gain access to the fuel filter lol..

Thanks for the info M8

My rev limiter kicks in at about 40 in first, 70 in second - I have hit 95 in 3rd without hitting the limiter and went ahead and shifted to 4th. 95 in 3rd is screaming.

I happen to have the owners manual laying beside me this morning and noticed earlier that it specifically states that the oil level light may come on or flicker when travelling on uneven ground or under hard accel/decel.

If you are getting to 40 or 45 in 1st and the limiter isn't kicking in, I would say it has been disabled. If your not getting up to that, you aren't there yet.

But I think you have to add a module (power commander or something like that) to change the limiter - I don't think it can be easily just disabled.

Ahh OK so most likely I chickened out on the accel and that the light coming on IS normal.. OK.. phew.. I couldn't find reference to it.. I'll be out on it again today and will monitor it more closely, especially the 1st gear.. if I get past 40 mph in first.. wooo.. Things get busy when you're hauling assets that fast, that quickly =)

I have a barons mini tach on my bike and it hit the rev limiter at 6500 or there about. Most times I hit it in first gear really getting on it. Never pay any mind to the speed because the speedo is off anyway and the GPS can't keep up with me.:whistling:

6250 or 6500 it's hard to say with the tach because you can get there so fast.

Not speedo-healed. I haven't taken the GPS out yet to see if/how far off my speedo is. I hear 6% to 9% on here so not sure - It might be right on. Either way - 6% of 40mph is 2.5 which would be 37.5. My speedo is sill clicking so fast at that point you can't catch 2.5mph difference. I say 40 meaning really close to 40.

I have a barons mini tach on my bike and it hit the rev limiter at 6500 or there about. Most times I hit it in first gear really getting on it. Never pay any mind to the speed because the speedo is off anyway and the GPS can't keep up with me.:whistling:

6250 or 6500 it's hard to say with the tach because you can get there so fast.

Update, on the way home I hit the rev limiter at 44mph indicated on speedo and 6500 RPM exactly. In first gear.

Since installing the Dyna, I've not hit the RL yet! The OEM revs were limited to 93-95 mph before it kicked in. But now I have it set to 8000 and I've noticed 105 at 7500 rpm (and climbing!) before I chickened out. That can really get the heart pumping at that RPM and speed. I'm happy! shouldn't have to try it again!! Unless some hapless HD rider wants to find out what kinda bike I ride. Man!! Is that fun!! BTW, luv my new Barons Tach!! Glad I've got it now! Brian

Ok, today I got the bawls out and dropped the hammer on the ol' girl to force the Rev Limiter issue on this bike.. The ONLY way I could force myself into it was to install ear plugs.. no kidding.. without them I'd chicken out and dump the accel before hitting the rev limited.. so odd, human perception of right and wrong eh?

Actual speed hit of 47mph in 1st gear I felt the rev limiter but it's nothing compared to a VStar.. However, I felt it reaally quick and was able to shift into 2nd gear super fast quick and it's like wow.. and then right up to rev limiter once again but don't ask me what the speed was cause all I remember was a blur of around 80 mph but I might have been in 3rd by then.. I'm not sure as it all happened fast. so freaking fast.. I bolted from a light where there was a car behind me and I couldn't see that car after I hit my bail out speed (don't wanna get caught speeding!!).. Oh man.. the rest of the trip I ran the bike at the lowest possible gear for a given speed.. 60 mph in 5th conserve fuel but no guts.. 4th is the sweet spot but 3rd will give you tons of goose on the go when you drop the hammer.. wow.

Pardon my excitement but dayum!! I'm discovering what my RSV can do after only having it for a year lol.. egads.. she's a lively one.. do people know these bikes can do all this?! So much for the slow lumbering top heavy hard to handle bike.. Just the simple mods and fixes I did this week have given me a brand new bike that I now have to learn how to handle properly.. wow.

Hey no kidding.. the kick in the pants when blasting from 1 to 2 to 3rd gear is incredible.. I'm learning to ride slow speeds at lower gears now.. (faster revs).. the bike responds and handles SO much nicer this way.. and funny enough, fuel mileage isn't too greatly affected.,. HUH, go figure.

And what's funny is that the mirrors are glass smooth at these high revs which also tells me my carb synch is top notch..

Now the SAD part is that we're now entering a 7 day rain forcast.. fugh.. time to tinker up the bike in the garage hehehe..

Thanks to all for the assist, info and push.. w000t

Ok, today I got the bawls out and dropped the hammer on the ol' girl to force the Rev Limiter issue on this bike.. The ONLY way I could force myself into it was to install ear plugs.. no kidding.. without them I'd chicken out and dump the accel before hitting the rev limited.. so odd, human perception of right and wrong eh?

Actual speed hit of 47mph in 1st gear I felt the rev limiter but it's nothing compared to a VStar.. However, I felt it reaally quick and was able to shift into 2nd gear super fast quick and it's like wow.. and then right up to rev limiter once again but don't ask me what the speed was cause all I remember was a blur of around 80 mph but I might have been in 3rd by then.. I'm not sure as it all happened fast. so freaking fast.. I bolted from a light where there was a car behind me and I couldn't see that car after I hit my bail out speed (don't wanna get caught speeding!!).. Oh man.. the rest of the trip I ran the bike at the lowest possible gear for a given speed.. 60 mph in 5th conserve fuel but no guts.. 4th is the sweet spot but 3rd will give you tons of goose on the go when you drop the hammer.. wow.

Pardon my excitement but dayum!! I'm discovering what my RSV can do after only having it for a year lol.. egads.. she's a lively one.. do people know these bikes can do all this?! So much for the slow lumbering top heavy hard to handle bike.. Just the simple mods and fixes I did this week have given me a brand new bike that I now have to learn how to handle properly.. wow.

Hey no kidding.. the kick in the pants when blasting from 1 to 2 to 3rd gear is incredible.. I'm learning to ride slow speeds at lower gears now.. (faster revs).. the bike responds and handles SO much nicer this way.. and funny enough, fuel mileage isn't too greatly affected.,. HUH, go figure.

And what's funny is that the mirrors are glass smooth at these high revs which also tells me my carb synch is top notch..

Now the SAD part is that we're now entering a 7 day rain forcast.. fugh.. time to tinker up the bike in the garage hehehe..

Thanks to all for the assist, info and push.. w000t

Sounds to me like a kid in a candy store! TOTALLY HAPPY. Glad you are getting to know the girl.

Sounds like I may not be the only one who goes 1st 2nd shift,sht OD to save my license ! If I ever get the carb tune I might miss that half second delay that gives me time to focus on hanging on , hmm those 2 sentences are a sure cause for my poor mileage. I think the tune is in my near future.