IGNORED

New RSTD Ownerr

Hello everyone:

New member from Maryland who just purchased a 2006 RSTD today for the wonderful price of 5300 dollars. I am new to this kind of bike. Are there any concerns with the RSTD I should be aware of. Look forward to getting to know everyone and participating as much as possible. Will post pics over the next couple of days. The bike is black and my first concern is good cleaning and waxing products. If anyone knows what works best on black, let me know.

Thanks

Walt

welcome Walt.

I used to live in Rockville, have been in Georgia for a while now.

I have a half black (Blue over black) 08 RSTD that I just bought 2 months ago.

I've been using Mr. Clean autowash, Turtlewax bug & tar remover, Windex (non-ammonia), and Plexus windshield/plastic polish.

If you want to meet some of the gang, there's a get together named the Skid-in in West Virginia in 2 weeks that sounds like it will be a good time. Do a search on skidin to read about.

Oh...so you got one of the faster ones.

I used plain old water and Blue Corral Car wash. Blow it off with some compressed air and wipe it all off with a big ole towel. Wax her down with NuFinish, RainX or Megrurs wax. Step back and watch the Black Betty sparkle.

I am sure you will benefit from all the information here. Lots of crazy folks with a lot of knowledge about the Venture and Tour Deluxe.

You will enjoy your time here. :TEAL:

Welcome to a great web site and a great bike..

You will find many different ideas on what to use on your bike.. Try them all because you will find one that will work the best for you....

If you have any questions about your bike dont worry.. we all have been there

Ask us anything someone will know the answer.....or we will just fake it

Hi Walt, welcome to the site.:happy65:

I to just bought a new 2008 RSTD back in Dec.:big-grin-emoticon: My first piece of info to pass on is the issue with the rear brake, it's very easy to lock up that rear tire.:( Use that front brake and ease on the rear.

Also look at the post on tires, lots of good info.

Your going to love this bike:happy65:

Ron...:12101:

Hi Walt, welcome to the site.:happy65:

I to just bought a new 2008 RSTD back in Dec.:big-grin-emoticon: My first piece of info to pass on is the issue with the rear brake, it's very easy to lock up that rear tire.:( Use that front brake and ease on the rear.

Also look at the post on tires, lots of good info.

Your going to love this bike:happy65:

Ron...:12101:

The "Butler Brake Mod", provided by Rick Butler on this site works great on the RSTD also. Maybe even better since there is less weight on the rear of the RSTD.

I love my 2006 RSTD. Color is opposite of yours - mine is pearl white. If you're tall (I'm 6' 7") watch your knees. In the first slow tight turn I made with this bike I almost laid it over. My knee was pinned between the handle bar and the gas tank. Got unpinned just in time. My previous ride was a 1983 Venure that I owned for 23 years. Never had this type of problem with it.

The RSTD is a GREAT bike! I must admit, I find it a much more comfortable ride than the '83 Venture. You'll really appreciate it on long rides.

:big-grin-emoticon:Well I finely traded the old 83 Venture off for a 1996 Royal Star Tour Classic Saturday. I hope I can get use to the wind that the faring would block. The windshield doesn't do to bad but there is a lot of wind around your legs. Also I miss the radio. Will try to get some pic. soon. Top Cat

I am very excited about this bike. First heavey bike so I took up to the school parking lot last night because it's great for turns and practicing leaning and stopping. After two hours, lt felt like I had been on the bike for two years. Loved it and headed to the main road for a fifty mile ride to PA. This bike is one terrific bike. Look forward to communicating, learning and contributing with everyone. This 52 yo man feels twenty one again. I will check the skid in, Thanks.:thumbsup2:

I had a 01 V star 1100 was at the dealer's in lexington end of March he had a black 06 RSTD brand new bought it and not looked back sold my v star before I got home bought a corbin touring seat off ebay put 4k miles on it so far this spring I love my bike, I love my bike lol

My first piece of info to pass on is the issue with the rear brake, it's very easy to lock up that rear tire.

I was thinking about this very thing today when I had to make a quick stop. I have never locked up my back wheel, and I've had to stop suddenly several times. I always use the front and back brakes simultaneously.

Is this not how other people use their brakes? I'm just curious because I've seen it posted here before how easy it is to lock up the rear, but I've never had it happen to me.

your gonna love the bike!!!! I bought my 08 last july and love it, as far as cleaning it just good ol fashioned soap and water. i also use some honda brand cleaner and polish to wipe it down every now and again. Shes a shiny blue/black. Going to try the pledge thing when i run out of the honda stuff. I keep thinking of all the different stuff i want to do or get for the bike, the only other option would be the venture. But for now this is a great bike, no plans to change in the near future, unless i win the lottery, then i can have both!:cool10::happy65:

I was thinking about this very thing today when I had to make a quick stop. I have never locked up my back wheel, and I've had to stop suddenly several times. I always use the front and back brakes simultaneously.

Is this not how other people use their brakes? I'm just curious because I've seen it posted here before how easy it is to lock up the rear, but I've never had it happen to me.

I usually use both - Have been practicing working the front harder lately. I have locked up the back several times but usually just a little. I try to stay off the back one but feather it when needed to try and avoid lockups and work the front pretty hard. Get into a major scary and that back will definitely lock-up. (I went bouncing around on I40 in Nashville last October - stayed upright but it was close)

Congrats & welcome to the site....like others have said, you're gonna love the bike, especially all that V4 goodness...

As far as cleaning goes....I personally use what used to be called "Honda Polish"...now it's sold under the name Original Spray Cleaner & Polish...or something like that...(aha...found a link for it: clicky, clicky)....great stuff...just wash off the big stuff and this will take care of the rest ;)

Congrats & welcome to the site....like others have said, you're gonna love the bike, especially all that V4 goodness...

As far as cleaning goes....I personally use what used to be called "Honda Polish"...now it's sold under the name Original Spray Cleaner & Polish...or something like that...(aha...found a link for it: clicky, clicky)....great stuff...just wash off the big stuff and this will take care of the rest ;)

I agree with the honda stuff thats what i use works like magic honda has a patent on

that stuff its the truth you can onle get it from honda

Congrats on the new bike, I have a black '06 which I baby like crazy.

I'm in the process of putting an amp and speakers in for road tunes/GPS prompts (even though I have speakers in my helmet).

I've added air to the rear shock to level the bike out, put Harley Road King stock mufflers on, replaced the seats, installed highway pegs on the lower bars, put RAM GPS mounts on, cut the windshield down 3" and raised the bars. I'm also in the process of installing powerlet power taps front and rear (for heated gear, power plugs, etc.).

You will hear that the transmissions whine, it's a known issue with no real resolution but to try replacing some parts. Mine does it but I ignore it since there are so many other reasons to love the bike.

I would really suggest taking the MSP ERC (Experienced Rider Course) to get familiar with your bike. Go here http://www.msf-usa.org/ and look up your state. You will use your bike and the courses are generally free. This is a great way to practice stopping, turning, etc. low speed before you hit the road.

Best of luck with the new bike, ride safe.

Congrats on the Td purchase, unfortuneately for you Yamaha stopped making all the reallly fast red and black ones in 05 :Laugh:. You have a great bike but there are some things that you might want to take a look at. I ditched the stock seat real quick, just too painful after about an hour in the saddle, corbins are supposed to be good, I personally have the Ultimate seat set and am able to do 8 + hour days without any pain. You might want to swap out the stock ignition module for a DK3,(set the revs to 7000 and curve 3 or 4 to get more grin factor going for you) Change to a set of Road King cans with the stage 2 or 3 mod for better sound, add a passing light bar and headlight modulator so folks see you coming and a brake light modulator so they don't creep up your but when your stopped. Don't forget there is all the "safety chrome" that can be added as well.

I don't know about you, but I came from a big V-Twin. I thought this engine was a little 'doggey' & said so on this & another board. Right away, I was told to keep the RPMs up, don't load it like you can a V-Twin. So I took her out and road it hard and OMG!!! It's like a race horse in the upper RPMs!!

I seldom use top gear unless over 65ish.

craigr

Thanks for all the great information. I received a 300 dollar gift certificate (fathers day) for accessories and am looking for lighting up the rear end with LED. Saw a thread and how to install and thought it looked great. Will be ordering a light bar this week and have already registered for the MSF experienced course in July. Want a 3 pouch window bag and realized from the threads this might be a problem. I will not drill through the windsheild. Has anyone ever tried velcro or double sided industrial tape. I am loving this bike

LED's are great, I put the license frame holder and LED plate in the back (pics in profile). Really lights things up. SOOO much better than stock. I have been looking into a tri bag for the windshield too and I don't want to drill my windshield. I found this one http://www.carolinaleatherworks.com/winbag721.html and it should mount up by using the stock holes and bolts and just drill out/cut the mounting plastic on the bag. Haven't done it yet, working other mods first.

Watch the back brake pads. The inside wears first - and rotors are not cheap (trust me).

I am getting between 8000 and 12000 miles out of a set. (I am sure with these big feet, I hit it more than I think I do. Have tried to start being very easy on the rear) Changing them is easy and about a 20 minute job. My fronts have been lasting around 25000 miles.

I have BUB muff's on - I have not heard the RK's but I am sure my Bubs are louder. Everyone I talk to says they like them. Wife says she can hear me leaving the intersection a mile from the house if I romp on it. They are called sleepers for a reason - reasonably quiet until you kick it in the shorts. (No jet changes)

Issues I have had:

Back Shock started honking (If you hear it, you will know)

Stock tires suck! Get a set of Dunlop e3's.

Mine has no clutch whine - I feel sorry for those that do.

In 3 years and 36000 miles, that's about the only problems other than going through tires. and needing the oil changed again.

If it starts getting hard to shift - change the oil and change the clutch fluid.

Hope you got a good dealer - the one here is great.