IGNORED

dome lights for luggage

My friend has been using my Venture and mentioned to me at night he cant find anything in the luggage because its to dark. I was thinking of maybe mounting a few dome lights from a car in the tops that turn on when ypu open the luggage. Does anyone know of any problems that might arise i figure the the amount of power needed for the lights should not be a problem. But i am not a electrical guy so any ideas on how to do this would be helpfull.

My friend has been using my Venture and mentioned to me at night he cant find anything in the luggage because its to dark. I was thinking of maybe mounting a few dome lights from a car in the tops that turn on when ypu open the luggage. Does anyone know of any problems that might arise i figure the the amount of power needed for the lights should not be a problem. But i am not a electrical guy so any ideas on how to do this would be helpfull.

The only problem I see with installing lights would be the wiring and the quick disconnects needed. I remove my bags constantly to clean the bike, access the rear axle oil maint and such. They have battery operated stick on lights that would serve the purpose but, I think I will just stick to my trusty flash light!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-043.gif

Dog

I considered a stick on light but i think something wired in would look much nicer. If done right which i will make sure it is it will look like it was factory done. A nice feature to have and something to add to resale value as well in my mind.

I got the sylvania stick on light in mine too and it works great. You can get them in assorted colors, even black to match the trunk insides. Only thing I suggest is to mount it where your helmet or anything else in the trunk wont contact it when the lid is closed. I would also use extra double sided tape as the one supplied didnt seem to want to stick.

If you have the spoiler LED taillight the wire is already run into the lid. The running light power is on as long as the key is on. Just have to remember to leave the key on when you need light. Can leave the small inside LED light always on, it does not draw significant power or heat. Otherwise operate the switch on the LED light.

If you do not have power into the trunk, follow the instructions for the spoiler LED lights for wire routing. It is easy to do. I mounted relays next to the battery for fused power to the driving and tails lights and future DC loads, keeps the load off the key switch.

I have seen some LED lights with an integrated tilt switch also. Would not be hard to add an external one if running from the battery vs the running light power.

mine 88 VR ( bought used) came with a light in the center luggage , it is on a switch as you open the lid...... if you wanted to put lights in the side luggage bags, use LED's , they made accent ones, 3 in a molded case, and wiring them into the wire from the center luggage , and put a 2 pole connector on it...... the only decision then is wether to put a switch on it or just open the center luggage to light all 3 compartments...... just my thought, use a flashlight myself..... but you got me thinking......

:detective: JOHN

First I put a dome type light with a built in switch inside the trunk. It had a plastic cover that would come off if it got bumped. Got rid of it and installed two tag lights, one on each side of the trunk. Drilled and bolted them to lips found inside trunk. I also mounted a rocker switch to control them. The tag light are much more tuff and chrome so look nice. Ran a fused dedacated power supply to the battery.

The other day on e bay there was a light for the trunk of a voyager X11 but not sure if it is still there. The switch came with it so when you open the trunk the light turns on. I have never taken my trunk off so I don't know how it is plugged in.

If you want to go to wal-mart and buy a couple of lights and then get some door pin switches from napa. You can also buy little flat plugs for lights so you can unplug them when you want to remove things. The plugs are a 2 wire plug just like the 4 wire flat plug on most trucks today. The wiring is easy just a power and a ground wire into each compartment.

The more light the better inside or outside.