IGNORED

What oil do you use?

brscooter

I currently use Amsoil synthetic 10w40. Got my '06 last Nov with only 1300 kilometers on it (that's 808 miles) and it had just had it's first service ... I drained that and put in the Amsoil with a new filter. Seems to work just fine and it's now due for another change so I think I'l put in the same only 20w50 this time (coz the temps are movin up).

Rotella 15-40...I've read that the 10-40 was to thin and 20-50 is to thick (my fuel mileage dropped avg 3-4 mpg). I ride regularly and don't see the need for sythetic. If it sat up alot, I probably would. If I did run sythetic, I'd have to extend my oil services to 8k to 10k miles. At 4k mile intervals, it would be a waste of money to me.

Amsoil 10-40 all year round. If you sign at amsoil web site as prefered customer they will give you wholsale prices. Quarter of Amsoil synth oil is about $6. not bad at all. Only thing is you have to go and pickup yourself from near by Amsoil Warehouse.

I just put synthetic in my 06 and can say that I really don't like it. I don't notice that much difference between synthetic and regular dino oil, so will not be spending the extra money for synthetic next time.

Besides, like has been said, I change my oil frequently enough that it just doesn't pay to use synthetic for me.

I did a change out a few weeks ago and used Yahamalube semi syn. 20-50. I'll use it for the summer at least and the engine whine noise was cut in half.

I'm headed to Fl.on Sunday to visit the kids in Marco Island so a long highway trip down I-75 at 80 0r so I thing the 20-50 will not thin out as much with the heat.

Anyone in Fl. want to meet up.

Steve

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic 5W- 40 oil (Look for the blue jug)

http://www-static.shell.com/static/rotella-en/images/products/synth_cj4.jpg

The oil is about $20 for a one gallon bottle at Walley-World. GREAT protection at a great price. It has and OUTSTANDING additive package for wet clutch applications like our bikes.

On a side note, I use a Purolater Pure One filter (part number PL14612) which I get at Advance Auto Parts where I get a 10% military discount.

http://partsmart.boschwebservices.com/RB/NA/AUTO/AFTERMARKET/PARTSMART/PartSmartImages/PL14612.jpg

This it probably the best filtering filter on the market. Another filter would be the proper sized EAO series filter from Amsoil, but the price including shipping is in my experience higher.

Guest seuadr

rotella here too. i don't have a venture (yet!) but i have no problems with it in my GS and i don't anticipate any problems in it with the venture.

The oil is about $20 for a one gallon bottle at Walley-World. GREAT protection at a great price. It has and OUTSTANDING additive package for wet clutch applications like our bikes.

On a side note, I use a Purolater Pure One filter (part number PL14612) which I get at Advance Auto Parts where I get a 10% military discount.

http://partsmart.boschwebservices.com/RB/NA/AUTO/AFTERMARKET/PARTSMART/PartSmartImages/PL14612.jpg

This it probably the best filtering filter on the market. Another filter would be the proper sized EAO series filter from Amsoil, but the price including shipping is in my experience higher.

DITTO... I run this combo and will be going 8k between changes here.

I too run this oil in my RSV and all my cars. Ran it in all my bikes for YEARS. I do about 6-8000 per oil change. Most of my bikes shifted smoother and the gear noise was less on this oil.

I run a Walmart ST Filter... Don't remember the part number.

(disclaimer) I am an Amsoil dealer, but became one to buy at discount, but I believe in the products, and the system. I make a few bucks a year, and get the products at a good price.

I use the Amsoil motorcycle 10-40 oil. The only difference between a 10-40 and 15-40 is that when COLD the 10-40 is a touch easier to flow than a 15-40. The first number is how the oil acts in cold weather, and the second number is how the oil acts at working temperature. In otherwords there is NO difference between a 0-40 and a 20-40 or anything inbetween once it gets some heat in it.

I change about every 4000 miles, and probably could extend that to 6000 if I wanted.

About the person that went back to regular oil after not detecting any difference with synthetic I will say this. In just riding, it will be very hard to tell any difference. If you used scientific instruments, you could confirm a small increase in MPG, maybe 1, 2 at most, over the same weight regular oil. This will be VERY hard to confirm by just checking MPG at fill ups, but it is there.

But more important, there will be better protection for the wear surfaces/bearings over the long haul. Every major oil manufacturer has proven that over a lifetime of use, engines have less wear/tear and last longer with synthetic. So are you abusing your engine if you use a quality regular oil? Certainly NOT. But for engines that live on the edge, and motorcycle engines qualify there, a little bit of extra protection is nice to have.

Plus if you extend drain intervals a little, you won't spend any more money, and you will spend LESS time under your bike or at the shop doing changes. Most people change their oil WAY too frequently.

Any Amsoil dealer can get you an oil analysis kit that you should use on all vehicles about once every year or every other year at least. This minor expense will tell you a lot about your vehicle if you keep them a long time.

I believe Amsoil makes the best lubricants, but Mobil 1 is a good, and so are many other brands. Stay way from "racing" oils, these are meant to provide more power, at the expense of protection. And of course with motorcycles with wet clutches, stay away from anything that says "energy conserving" and look for oils made specifically for motorcycles. Amsoil has products perfect for any motorcycle, 2 cycle engine, etc.

I agree with dynodon even though I currently don't run synthetic, not sure why. From what I understand, synthetic is very good for engines that sit up alot. Its suppose to adhere to the cylinder walls, etc reducing dry starting and its supposedly runs cooler.

I'm using Rotella 5w40 Synthetic in all 3 bikes and my Dodge Ram w/ a Cummins diesel. It will be in the Blazer and Caprice on the next change, too.

I had Amsoil 10w40 in the Venture before and noticed that it did shift easier and quieter with the Amsoil but it's not much different with the Rotella.

As far as oil filters, I've used the PureOne, a Wix and Nissan car filters. I'll probably stay with the PureOne or Nissan from now on.

Is anyone out there using a Fram filter product?

If so, I'm curious to know whether anyone is buying it from Canadian Tire. (I guess this is a question for my Canadian amigos).

When I was at 'the Tire' yesterday, I noticed that in the motorcycle department, they had a Fram that was designated for the Venture, a model PH6017A. It was all black, and cost $7.49

However, in the auto/car section, there was a Fram filter that looked like the exact same size, but had a nifty "sure-grip" black top (the rest was Fram orange) and a price of $6.32.

For both the convenient 'easy-grip' installation feature AND the lower price, I was tempted to go for the "car" version.

Thoughts?

I am having such a chuckle! Seems every few "daze",,,someone will ask, "What Oil"? . I can't think of any subject other than music appreciation that draws so much attention. OIL, OIL, OIL,......way too subjective,,,,,But FUN!

Renne

Schaeffer Oil REP.

Is anyone out there using a Fram filter product?

If so, I'm curious to know whether anyone is buying it from Canadian Tire. (I guess this is a question for my Canadian amigos).

When I was at 'the Tire' yesterday, I noticed that in the motorcycle department, they had a Fram that was designated for the Venture, a model PH6017A. It was all black, and cost $7.49

However, in the auto/car section, there was a Fram filter that looked like the exact same size, but had a nifty "sure-grip" black top (the rest was Fram orange) and a price of $6.32.

For both the convenient 'easy-grip' installation feature AND the lower price, I was tempted to go for the "car" version.

Thoughts?

The car filter will work fine... However.. I would not run a FRAM on my lawnmower. They are card board inside and have been known to come apart.

The only good thing about Fram isw thier ad campaigns... the product is crap.

The car filter will work fine... However.. I would not run a FRAM on my lawnmower. They are card board inside and have been known to come apart.

The only good thing about Fram isw thier ad campaigns... the product is crap.

Just kidding!

So, what kind of filter DO you use, Reaney?

Thanks,

Mike

Greetings...

Valvoline 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil. Because it's the only one on the shelf.

AND I also use Fram filters. Because it's the cheapest I can find. I'd use a coffee filter if that's all I could find. I change my oil every 1500-2000 miles, around here, you pretty much have to if you want an engine to last more than a couple of years. Dry and Dusty. But then, I don't have to worry too much about rust - chrome lasts forever out here - heck we have daily displays of classic chrome from 1918 to present out here....