IGNORED

Issue When Starting Last Few Days

Ok, this is a weird one to me.

Lately, first time I try to start the bike, hit starter switch everything goes out, lights dash nada. So pulled the seat, checked the battery, 12.0v. Checked battery cables, all tight.

So think the ignition switch is going out on this one. But I do not believe it.

So pulled battery cables, made sure they were clean, re-attached, turn ignition key on, have lights and dash is back, hit starter switch everything goes dark again. Ok, now I am believing the battery cables are the culprit. Undo again, re-attached, turn ignition key back on, press starter switch and bike starts up. Go the rest of the day no issues.

Next day repeat above scenario.

This morning repeat above scenario, but this time on the first attempt I put the hot wire to my trailor lights between the battery post and the bike's hot wire, tighten down, bike starts immediately.

Ok, I am :confused24: , what gives with the battery hot wire. Everything is clean and tight.

I believe it is heat related, where the bike starts everything stays tight, but after bike sits over night (cools down), issue arises.

Any thoughts ?

I think the battery is toast. 12.0V is TOO LOW for a fully charged battery - should be 12.8 to 13.0. Put a voltmeter directly on the battery terminals while cranking and I'll bet the voltage drops to a very low level. (Meter on the terminals will show a bad battery whereas the meter elsewhere could be indicative of a bad ground or hot lead) If in doubt, have the battery load tested.

It may pick up and hold a bit of a charge after you get it started but it drops off overnight.

Ross

Try the Hot wire the Ignition Switch, Mod. Wire up a By Pass for the On-OFF Contacts of the Switch.

Many many of those Switches have gone south. ( Order a New one )

This is definitly not the famous ignition switch issue.

When hitting the start switch, I hear a popping sound, then no electrical. Thought I had blown a fuse. Checked all fuses none, blown. I am leaning towards a bad battery also.

REmove the battery, and charge it overnight with a battery Charger.

( Not a Trickle Charger, a real charger )

Let it sit 24 hours, and recheck the voltage, make sure it hold at least 12.2 to 12.3 V, out of the bike,

Are there any aftermarket accessories wireed up on this bike??

If so, pull the fuse for those items, untill you get the bike working normal.

Popping Noise ??? like what, electrical sparking ??

Check the Red battery cable, all the way from battery to Solinoid, and from Solinoid to the starter motor, Maby, cable is worn thru somplace, and shorting out. ??

I had a problem with mine yesterday too. Eileen and I got up and rode to Port Clinton to meet up with some other folks that were camping there. Mine started right up when we left here, it had been on a battery tender though. Got to the camp ground and visited a while then got ready to go for a ride and it wouldn't start. It was the ignition switch because it TRIED To start but the battery was just almost dead. Jumped it off another bike and off we went. It started just fine the rest of the day but according to my volt gauge, it is only running about 12 volts. I have to think that the stator and etc. is working because like I said, it started the rest of the day with no problems but never indicated over 12 volts.

Also, if I turn on my driving lights the volts go down to about 11. So, either the stator is charging but not enough to keep up with any added lights and etc. or the battery is bad and just won't take the proper charge. OR...the volt meter that came with my gauge set is way off. I'll do some checking today with my regular volt meter.

I'm thinking my battery is about shot. It is a 5 year old Oddessy.

I agree with GeorgeS...The best way to check the battery out is to do it independently from the bike. Remove the battery, charge fully at a rate not over 2 amps (slow is best, but a trickle charge won't do it for a flat battery). Let the battery sit undisturbed for 24 hours (enough time for a weak or partially shorted cell to bleed down). Take it somewhere to have it load tested. If it gets through the load test, then I would start looking at the overall health of the charging system. Start with grounds and hot leads, followed by stator and regulator. I would also check for ignition-off power drains using an ammeter in series with the battery.

Ross

Definitly will be taking the bike to Sumter dealer this coming week.

I am electrically challenged, but I can trace wiring, even have Voltmeter, but really not sure how to use. Easy enough reading it when touching the battery post and getting the 12V, but if other places are not grounded properly, how do I tell with the Voltmeter??:confused24:

Freebird, I Just purchased a Odyssey Batter charger

with All the bells and whistles.. There charge charges

at a higher rate and drops off. using a regular charger

on those battery's will never get it to its proper charge.

Look on there site. Mine is 4 years old now and this charger

will even recondition the battery, since I have never had

it to it's fullest charge ever. just a thought. also that battery

should last another 5 years. OR give them a call.

Jeff

Sleeperhawk,

If you want to take my audessy battery with you, you are more then welcome to use it to see if it really IS your battery.

I can bring it to you in Athens if you want it.

Sleeperhawk,

If you want to take my audessy battery with you, you are more then welcome to use it to see if it really IS your battery.

I can bring it to you in Athens if you want it.

Eck thanks, I will take you up on the offer. You have Bobbie's number, we will be leaving here tomorrow (monday) at 6:00 am.

I think the battery is toast. 12.0V is TOO LOW for a fully charged battery - should be 12.8 to 13.0. Put a voltmeter directly on the battery terminals while cranking and I'll bet the voltage drops to a very low level. (Meter on the terminals will show a bad battery whereas the meter elsewhere could be indicative of a bad ground or hot lead) If in doubt, have the battery load tested.

It may pick up and hold a bit of a charge after you get it started but it drops off overnight.

Ross

:sign yeah that: Sounds like a classic case of a dead cell in the battery. I have seen this several times on cars. 12v until you crank it, then it plumets. Have the battery tested.

George....warranty!!!! I know, I know, but if you mess up something then the dealer may not want to touch it.

Well, removeing the battery, for two days, and doing the bench test, then replaceing the battery, will not effect the warrenty.

And, besides, I won't tell them that you did it !!!

I had a problem with mine yesterday too. Eileen and I got up and rode to Port Clinton to meet up with some other folks that were camping there. Mine started right up when we left here, it had been on a battery tender though. Got to the camp ground and visited a while then got ready to go for a ride and it wouldn't start. It was the ignition switch because it TRIED To start but the battery was just almost dead. Jumped it off another bike and off we went. It started just fine the rest of the day but according to my volt gauge, it is only running about 12 volts. I have to think that the stator and etc. is working because like I said, it started the rest of the day with no problems but never indicated over 12 volts.

Also, if I turn on my driving lights the volts go down to about 11. So, either the stator is charging but not enough to keep up with any added lights and etc. or the battery is bad and just won't take the proper charge. OR...the volt meter that came with my gauge set is way off. I'll do some checking today with my regular volt meter.

I'm thinking my battery is about shot. It is a 5 year old Oddessy.

Maby:-- Again, charge it a high rate dissconnected from the bike, and let it sit for a couple days, it should maintain at least 12.7 Volts, if the odyessy battery drops to below 12.5, just sitting then, probably its time to order a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

My 05 RSV started to run rough at about 30 mph and then ran fine, stopped at resturant and ate, came out bike would not start, had lights and radio, but would not start, noise from battery like low voltage, push bike off started and rode 3 miles died at red light would not start back, after 2 hours got another battery(new one) cranked fine rode 25 miles to home no problem, tried to start after about 30 mins would not start, lights, radio, work but not enough juice to start, put battery on charge last night, this morning it started fine. I don't think the new battery had been charged, new in box when it got to me (on side of the rode), so hopefully the charge last night will do the job. Got to get it going heading to Texas next week. :bobby:

My 05 RSV started to run rough at about 30 mph and then ran fine, stopped at resturant and ate, came out bike would not start, had lights and radio, but would not start, noise from battery like low voltage, push bike off started and rode 3 miles died at red light would not start back, after 2 hours got another battery(new one) cranked fine rode 25 miles to home no problem, tried to start after about 30 mins would not start, lights, radio, work but not enough juice to start, put battery on charge last night, this morning it started fine. I don't think the new battery had been charged, new in box when it got to me (on side of the rode), so hopefully the charge last night will do the job. Got to get it going heading to Texas next week. :bobby:

Most likely the Main Switch has gone south ... even more suoth than you already are.