IGNORED

Watching behind you

TEW47

Two friends got hit from behind while stopped at traffic lights. One was hit at fifty mph, the girl was talking on the cell phone and did not brake before she hit him. The other was hit at slow speed but fled the seen. He was caught a mile away, no insurance and hit a run, maybe he might have learned a lesson about hit & run. Both friends are alright.

tew47

TEW47,

THANKS for the safety reminder!!!!!!

IIRC in the MSF course and Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough they tell you to check your rear-view mirror often.

At a stop light I keep the bike in 1st gear (Ready to pull out) and watch my rear-view mirror until I have at LEAST three stopped cars buffer behind me, before I lower my rear-view vigilance.

If there is a car stopped ahead of me, I ALWAYS make sure I have an escape route. Meaning: Don't stop too close to the car in front of you so you have room to maneuver to the shoulder or even lane split to get out of the way!!!!!!!

Edited by KiteSquid

Yep, I can attest to the virtues of watching behind you. This weekend on the way home from New Orleans, I got surprised by a "gentleman" on a older harley passing me on the sholder on the interstate. I could tell I was not in trouble because he was an "experienced rider" with his barefeet up on his crashbars, almost horizontal on his bike as he past me doing in excess of 80mph.

Note to self, keep an eye on the mirrors.

Yep, same here. I was on a 2 lane state road Saturday and looked back in time to see an ambulance coming up behind me all lit up and sirens going. I saw him in enough time to get over but not enough time to stop. He blew past me just as an oncoming car passed. Too close.

360 degree awareness, 100% of the time. Not an easy task but it's how we stay alive. I'm glad your friends are ok.

I was rear ended some years ago in CA. There was a stop light in the middle of a curving entry ramp. I saw it but the guy behind me didn't. I will admit I can see why he missed it. One of the stupidest places for I light I have ever seen. Luckilly I got away with some minor rear end damage that I was able to tape and ride home to GA with. It threw me off the bike but I landed in grass over to the side. The guy was very appologetic. He and his son both rode and he couldn't believe he hit another biker.

It can happen any time, any place so never stop looking for it.

TEW47,

IIRC in the MSF course and Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough they tell you to check your rear-view mirror often.

At a stop light I keep the bike in 1st gear (Ready to pull out) and watch my rear-view mirror until I have at LEAST three stopped cars buffer behind me, before I lower my rear-view vigilance.

If there is a car stopped ahead of me, I ALWAYS make sure I have an escape route. Meaning: Don't stop too close to the car in front of you so you have room to maneuver to the shoulder or even lane split to get out of the way!!!!!!!

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I was hit from behind years ago on my 1st bike, not injured but certainly learned my lesson. It taught me to always look for an escape route.

TEW47,

YES YES YES and if 2 UP which I do 80% 2 UP. Told Passenger at a stop light it is her job to tap me when light is Green because I'm watching the Mirrors HOT & HEAVY. Don't get me wrong here, when I get tapped I do look up to make sure it is GREEN and then Left, right, left, right then go. 4 eyes are better than two specially at the STOP Lights.

Twice now I have avoided getting my backside creamed at red lights by watching the mirrors to see the cage coming and blasting through a hole in traffic because a cage never saw me or the red light. Both times the cage did not make it through the intersection in one piece. Fortunately both times it was a small cage that found a truck in the cross traffic so no innocent people were injured.

My time is pretty much split 50-50 between the mirrors and ahead.

Several weeks ago I was in the left lane of a four lane that had an island in the middle. I noticed a older small pick up in front of me that caught my attention. All of a sudden he slammed on his brakes and turned partway into the opening to make a u-turn. I had time to slow down or even come to a stop, but an SUV coming up behind me did not. I was able to quickly cut around the guy, almost into the other lane and I believe the SUV may have hit him. I was paying so much attention to getting away from them that I did not see what happened, but over the hill is a redlight and none of that traffic caught up with me when I stopped.

I hate to pick on SUV's but I routinely see those drivers doing the stupidest things and it is like the road belongs to them. It's like "Get out of my way!!!" :doh:

RandyA

We're seeing more young and some older drivers rear ending bikes around here and the problem is talking on the cell phone while driving. Any more when I'm out on the bike I see lots of people on the phone as I'm always looking at them when ever there a chance they may pull out in front of me (I want to see a face looking at me) all to often I have to hit the breaks because they are zoned out or off in another world while talking on the cell phone.

I think a big reason the SUVs are seen doing stupid things is the invincibility factor. It's well known that in an accident, the SUV wins. That's why people buy them (and for their kids). But, that means that they don't pay near as much attention to their driving as they should, resulting in VERY avoidable accidents, because the consequence to themself is minimal at best (at least in their eyes).

Please, Please, Please, lets stop with the SUV thing. It doesn't matter what you drive, whether an SUV or a Neon, you have to pay attention. I know many SUV drivers and I don't know a single one that has an invincibility issue. That is absolutely ridiculous. I agree with the person who said the biggest problem currently is cell phones and drivers being distracted. Just MHO

We're seeing more young and some older drivers rear ending bikes around here and the problem is talking on the cell phone while driving. Any more when I'm out on the bike I see lots of people on the phone as I'm always looking at them when ever there a chance they may pull out in front of me (I want to see a face looking at me) all to often I have to hit the breaks because they are zoned out or off in another world while talking on the cell phone.

I have a 17 year old that should have had her license 6 months ago. I REFUSE to sign off until I am comfortable with her driving. Most parents sign off without making sure their kid is a safe driver.

That said, the drivers education these kids get today is a joke. I had to ask the instructor why they have never mentioned to look for bikes. he said, "this is not a motorcycle safety course"

Kids today are getting a joke for drivers education, plus parents are not making sure their little darling is not a menace, and we pay the price.

I think a big reason the SUVs are seen doing stupid things is the invincibility factor. It's well known that in an accident, the SUV wins. That's why people buy them (and for their kids). But, that means that they don't pay near as much attention to their driving as they should, resulting in VERY avoidable accidents, because the consequence to themself is minimal at best (at least in their eyes).

Actually no. in an accident the SUV does not always win. Every rollover I see the SUV and the occupants lose big time. Those things crush like beer cans when on the roof. SUV's are not safer, they are just larger.

and honestly SUV versus cement wall and smartcar versus cement wall... I'd rather be in the smart. those things have a safety cell that is incredible, check out the safety testing/crash tests. They even smashed one at 70mph into a wall on top gear and the passenger cabin was intact and the drivers door still opened.

There is a reason that no large SUV has a 5 star crash rating. The only ones that do are the tiny ones that are only slightly bigger than a car.

Regardless of what the safest cage to drive is (that should be its own thread that might be fun), the bottom line is that WE have a 0 crash star rating.

While we would like for others to be looking out for us, that is not the real world, it is up to us to have our heads on a swivel and be watching for them.

This is what I always do also, I hate to say it but I do it in the car while I'm in some ugly spots in Detroit. I wont allow myself to be boxed in and have no means of escape, especially on the bike.