IGNORED

Stopped by the IL State Police :(

RoadKill

Well, Took the GW out for a couple hundred mile jaunt and was just enjoying the day, no cares, no worries all two lanes. Pulled away from a Stop sign accellerated and got to about 3rd gear and met a Trooper. I had been crusing at 57 - 60 all day long and as I met him I had let off to shift on up and hit the cruise well he turned around stopped me for going 63 in a 55????!! I ride with many troopers and most all have said if I ride 9 and under the speed limit no problems. Well he siad they were given a directive to slow down Motorcycles, to which I said what about all the cars tring to kill us, he laughed and said them too. A whole speeding spring campaign. Nice guy just gave me a warning.

Any way if you ride IL roads better take it easy,

I have been told many times by leo's that the 5mph over rule is safe everywhere except in residential and school zones. That's in Ohio and I've found it to be true everywhere as I've been shot numerous times on I77, I95 in different states with no problem. Of course that was last year, things may change.:whistling:

With tax revenues down you can bet all governments will be after the LEOs to generate revenue (write more tickets).

That LEO that would have let you slide at 8 over last year has got his boss breathing down his neck to write more tickets. He might not let you slide any more.

You've lived here long enough to know 'ya can't trust them guys. One will let you ride over the limit and the next (usually newby) will stop you if you are anywhere near the speed limit. He probably saw your frontend come down for the shift and figured you hit the brakes when you saw him. Glad he just warned you. I was stopped once by S.O.S. for 59 in a 55. He warned me too. Some (but not all) are just anal with attitude. Flip side is I got a warning for going WELL over the limit when I explained circumstances to the OLDER officer.

:178:

With tax revenues down you can bet all governments will be after the LEOs to generate revenue (write more tickets).

...................................QUOTE]

You may think so, but here in this town, all the traffic violation revenue goes into the judges retirement fund. The city or police force do not get any moneys out of traffic tickets. Does not sound right to me, but I'm told that's the way it is.

Joe

In GA they have always given 10 over but that may be starting to change. I remember last year they were advertising "The Fast and Furious" period where they were targeting motorcycles. I will say that it was mainly sport bikes that were flying that prompted the crack down. I was pulled for doing 65 in a 45 but I was on my way to greet a KIA Soldier at an airport. The bike was rigged with flag poles and I had a PGR windshield banner. The LEO just said "carry on but slow down". Not even a warning. :whistling:

I hope most of us are safer riders than that and don't make a habit of speeding. I was being stupid. I should have left the house earlier. For the most part I really think it's the sport bikes that are lighting it up they are after. With all the wrecks out there I can't say that slowing down isn't a good idea.

Trust me when I tell you they aren't just targeting bikes. Truckers are paying big time down there. With the split speed limit it's hard to run 55 with cars running 65 or faster. Especially around the toll roads, I'm not sure why they are hammering us right now. I'd like to say it's all about the money but they have a new governor now and maybe he's got issues with speeding vehicles. The construction zones are really bad, 45 with cars running 65 or faster. That speed limit is good for cars to but you try to pick one when they all go that fast! Plus considering alot of truckers are from out of state and just going through, it's easy to give them a ticket. You don't make the citizens of your state mad. Best advice is 5 over on good roads but in construction I only run 3 over. It's just not worth spending money on speeding, not with all that chrome to buy for these bikes!

Living in Illinois, I have heard a lot the old saying:

Eight you're great, Nine you're MINE.

Well, as mentioned, that depends on the cop, his attitude, and I also agree that he probably saw the shift and thought you were slowing down, he probably didn't get a radar lock in in time, and thus, a warning instead of a ticket. He just guessed you were going faster because of the dip.

I have only had three tickets since getting my license in '65, but I did get some warnings when in college. None since, just the tickets. Not sure why, maybe cops go easier on youngsters, assuming they need a break?

I pretty much stay to 5 over as my limit, I like my money in MY bank/wallet, and like to keep moving instead of chatting with Illinois' finest (don't take that wrong, I respect the ISP, and think they do a great job for the most part. Any organization has some odd ducks or bad apples, but hey, I am out of slogans!) :)

...................................QUOTE]

You may think so, but here in this town, all the traffic violation revenue goes into the judges retirement fund. The city or police force do not get any moneys out of traffic tickets. Does not sound right to me, but I'm told that's the way it is.

Here in our town in Illinois quite a bit of the monies come back to the Village and that's what pretty well supports the police department.

Joe

Trust me when I tell you they aren't just targeting bikes. Truckers are paying big time down there. With the split speed limit it's hard to run 55 with cars running 65 or faster. Especially around the toll roads, I'm not sure why they are hammering us right now. I'd like to say it's all about the money but they have a new governor now and maybe he's got issues with speeding vehicles. The construction zones are really bad, 45 with cars running 65 or faster. That speed limit is good for cars to but you try to pick one when they all go that fast! Plus considering alot of truckers are from out of state and just going through, it's easy to give them a ticket. You don't make the citizens of your state mad. Best advice is 5 over on good roads but in construction I only run 3 over. It's just not worth spending money on speeding, not with all that chrome to buy for these bikes!

Yeah I heard the big money is in truck enforcement. Most of the small Cities/Villages in my area are sending cops to Truck enforcement school and are buying portable scales to get in on the "big" money.

BOO

Nice guy just gave me a warning.

Cant fool me Roaadkill... he just thought you had a cute butt.

I wondered why he had me stand up and turn around?? :confused24: Hey how do you know I have a cute butt?:no-no-no: You worry me Eck!:dancefool:

I normally stay out of these conversations as many people think I'm just taking up for my profession. Here is my one post them I'm out. There is no doubt some small towns and cities who may get a portion of the monies taken in from writing tickets but for the most part the money goes into things such as education, general funds, everything but police and accounts such as that. And the one where someone says it goes to a judges retirment fund has got to be bunk. Talk about a serious conflict. I'd lay money down this is not true.

Well, Took the GW out for a couple hundred mile jaunt and was just enjoying the day, no cares, no worries all two lanes. Pulled away from a Stop sign accellerated and got to about 3rd gear and met a Trooper. I had been crusing at 57 - 60 all day long and as I met him I had let off to shift on up and hit the cruise well he turned around stopped me for going 63 in a 55????!! I ride with many troopers and most all have said if I ride 9 and under the speed limit no problems. Well he siad they were given a directive to slow down Motorcycles, to which I said what about all the cars tring to kill us, he laughed and said them too. A whole speeding spring campaign. Nice guy just gave me a warning.

Any way if you ride IL roads better take it easy,

Good for your trooper nice guy now here is my store from last week. Went to the new best buy to get a little money back and price match $12.00 as I pulled out same place as always turned left same as always got 2 blocks down the road here comes the lights . pulled over ask what did I do? the sign had been changed no left at stop sign now. You know how it is do not look at sign I knew what it said (or used to say) The nice police officer said his job that day was to set there and write people up for that. By the way he was nice too, he said he was sorry and give me a piece of paper that said that will be $110.00 by the 8th. Have to go back to best buy to day I think I will turn right.

Tell the truth Roadkill........

Your Wing is so quiet you were making your own muffler sounds:shock3: so the officer pulled you over to see why your Wing sounded so bad.....:sick:

:crackup:

Buddy

P.S. Love you Bro. see you in a couple of days........:happy34:

Two pages of responses, and they all seem to come to this: everyone should be allowed to break the law some, just as long as it's not a lot. We should be able to break into anyone's house or business and take something -- just not too much. Murder? Some, but not too many. Police are just being a pain when they stop us for breaking the laws in small amounts.

I normally stay out of these conversations as many people think I'm just taking up for my profession. Here is my one post them I'm out. There is no doubt some small towns and cities who may get a portion of the monies taken in from writing tickets but for the most part the money goes into things such as education, general funds, everything but police and accounts such as that. And the one where someone says it goes to a judges retirment fund has got to be bunk. Talk about a serious conflict. I'd lay money down this is not true.

I'm with you on this, for sure. I have been told many times the municipalities do not get to keep any portion of traffic ticket revenue, but it does figure into their grant from state/federal for next year.

For the record, on the interstate I ride with traffic up to about 10 over. On ALL other roads, I try to stay right on indicated speed limit, knowing my Vulcan is about 6 fast and the Venture is about 4 fast, so I am staying under limit.