IGNORED

How Fast Can Ride Comfortably

I like to ride the interstate and for me about 65 mph is max on a windy day and 70 on a calm day without the discomfort of buffeting, etc. I've had the windshield lowered 4 inches. Is this about the same for everyone else or what have you guys found that works better to improve interstate riding. I've also went through three helmets till I found the most compatible with the buffeting. Secondly, am I asking to much from a non-fairing bike...My goal is to ride comfortably at 70. Should I go back to the tall windshield? I can't remember what it was like, just knew I hated looking through it.

What are you riding?? I like my windshield tall while others cut theirs down just enough to see over it for for and rain. You get less buffeting with the taller windshield. The clearview is great becasue we can open the vent and get air that way. I don't have buffeting on my 99RSV with the Tall Clearview even at 80mph.

Just me 2c.

I've got a Roadstar with a Memphis Fats 19" shield on it.. .I ride on the interstate at 70 and 75... I have no problems at that speed..

Every now and then I'll pull the shield and ride without it... about 65 or 70 then, but I'm getting older, and tire out a lot quicker, but I still love it...

I hear so many people talking about buffetting and such.. I just don't get it.. you're blasting 70 MPH through the atmosphere.. you'll never have a perfectly smooth ride. If I wanted that, I'd get a car... but even then, I'd prefer to be more like a dog and hang my head out the side.... cause I can....

I don't know if you can adjust the angle of your windshield but if you can, set it so the air flow is directed over your head. This might mean angling the windshield back some. Also, I find if I lean in behind the windshield a little there is less buffeting. I ride fast usually, 65-75 on open highways. The little buffeting I get on my Tour Deluxe hasn't bothered me much.

Pegscraper...a reguler style open face helmet. The worst was the half-helmet, 2nd worse was 3/4 helmet. I've got a full face and find the open face is also more comfortable. My wife has the open face with the flip up face shield and she really likes. it.

On my TD, I went with a shorter Yamaha windshield - it measure up about 15". This past winter - Iput my stock windshield back on to "shield off" some of the mist, whatever. I just put my shorter windshield back on - and can't believe how much wind I am or was getting. I wear a flip up helmut. I am seriously considering going to Clearview's 18" shield with the recurve - that will get it lower than my sight (which was bugging me) but still with the recurve - get that wind off of me.

I have an xxl Clearview with vent, buffeting is no worse at 75 than at 55. The sound level goes up so I still usually stay down around 65 (I like to hear the stereo through the speakers) unless I am under a time constraint, or traffic flow insists I go faster.

I like to ride the interstate and for me about 65 mph is max on a windy day and 70 on a calm day without the discomfort of buffeting, etc. I've had the windshield lowered 4 inches. Is this about the same for everyone else or what have you guys found that works better to improve interstate riding. I've also went through three helmets till I found the most compatible with the buffeting. Secondly, am I asking to much from a non-fairing bike...My goal is to ride comfortably at 70. Should I go back to the tall windshield? I can't remember what it was like, just knew I hated looking through it.

I have an 07 RSTD with the Shorter Clearview shield. I can ride 80mph all day long with no wind problems.

Something that's going to make a difference is "How tall the Rider is". Windshield height is going to have a different effect between short,average and tall riders because their helmet is going to be in a different position in the wind stream.

Correction..I went with the 21". I figured I already had a short windshield and that I'd go with the tall one. If I don't like it, I've still got my short one instead of two short ones...not sure what I was thinking when I ordered it. Clearview was very kind and not started with my order and didn't mind the change. We're planning a 1500 mile ride at the end of June to test it out. Thanks for all the input.