IGNORED

donations to the site

Snarley Bill

The value for dollar here exceeds anything else on the net, I became a subscribed member as soon as Don implemented it some time ago, and have never felt that I didn't get far more back than received. I don't get on here that often but when I do there is always value and good fellowship in the visit! God bless all you do Don and you and your family remain in our prayers daily!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Redneck mentioned, this site has always been open for members to share thier opinions and I will now share mine.

An annual membership fee request of a mere $12.00 :clap2:

If a VR family member here finds that they can not pay their requested $12.00 membership fee because of "economy reasons", I ask them to contact me privately via P-email, and I will see what I can do to pay it for you.

I am not a rich man by no means, but I will scrape up that $12.00 some how for someone who is in financial ruins.

Oh, did I mention I love this site...........

I would now like to suggest the following "as an option" to help raise money for Don going above and beyond his requested $12.00 membership fee, to help him with his upcoming medical expenses and to keep this site above water.

Every time there is a meet & eat, lets all pitch in and donate $1.00 and give it to the person who posted and arranged the M&E.

After that M&E takes place this person sends the money collected to Freebird via Pay-pal or through the mail, and posts what they collected.

Every person who attends a rally this year, each person dontate's just $1.00 to the person who posted and arranged the rally. That person sends the money to Don,and posts what they collected.

One more thought:

Lets have 52 people, one VR member from each state, and this also can include canada and other countries, but one person from each state set up a day benifit ride for some upcoming saturday in your state.

You plan the starting point, all potty / stops, and places to eat.

This is a benefit ride for FREEBIRD.. and each person who attends pays $5.00, $10.00 or even $25.00 as an entrance fee to the person who arranged and planned the day event.

That person sends the money to Freebird and posts the amount HIS state collected as a contest between states / countries.

The ride you plan can include riding into other neighbouring states, but each state must have its own ride planned by a VR family member.

That alone would be 52 planned benifit rides..:mo money:

Now that's what I'm talking about. Great job "Halfanaccordman".

Payday is Friday, when my mad money account is replenished. I'll join then. I'll also continue to chip in whenever I drop the bike. :-(

I have a couple thoughts.

1. $12 is not much for the benefits you get from the site.
  2. BUT, having forums closed means that Mr. Google will not span the site. That will make VR less findable and helpful to our community. We may never see new members, and that would make me sad.
  3. One of my favorite sites is the weather underground, wunderground.com. They have a cheap annual fee of $5, which gets rid of the very annoying advertisements. Yeah, you get some useless add-ons too, like email (do I need another email address???), but the main benefit is that you do not see ads. But, it also means freeloaders are helping to pay for the site by seeing the advertisements. It's a winner both ways; I don't know if the model here is open for discussion, but it's an idea.

OK, I posted three thoughts, which means it is a "few" instead of a "couple". Throw away your least favorite. :)

This is in relation to the comment posted by Z Factor (above). I have to say that I agree!

In terms of current membership, I don't think there are too many regular (or semi-regular) users out there who would have a problem paying the modest $12.00/year cost. The BIG downside is that membership will not grow. "Family" members appreciate the website and will support the service but how many will commit to a new (albeit small) expense without having a chance to visit, "meet" people and check it out. I forsee a declining membership and eventual demise of the site unless there is another way to get some financial support for VentureRider.org.

Big wild-assed guess but I would suspect that we have a "hard-core bunch" that represents less than 5% of those who are current members. Perhaps there is another 10% or so who are semi-active. The vast majority of those who have signed up in the past are not currently active and this is the nature of internet forums. While the vocal 5% are optimistically supporting Don's request, I think it may not be enough to make the site self-supporting.

If other revenue streams (i.e. advertising) are not going to be at least part of the solution along with freewill donations, I think it will be necessary to grant free trial memberships and/or limited access for prospective members or casual "clickers". Without this, I am afraid the site will be effectively closed to anyone new. I, for one, would never have initially joined if I had been asked for money up front.

I sincerely hope that VentureRider will survive and continue to be a great resource for me and hundreds (thousands?) of other owners of these great bikes.

Respectfully

Ross

Edited to add that I hope I am wrong on this. I have no idea how much it will cost to sustain the site but I hope that there is enough to make it worthwhile for Don to continue and hope that sufficient membership is retained to maintain the "critical mass" for the site.

Well, I am not sure that the number of members will decline in the coming time since there is a registration fee. But I do agree that there has to be a trial period for the site. Like the Venturers.org have 14 days trial. And note - They have roughly 5.700 members and a 20 US$ yearly fee and they are growing every year. Once people see what is inside the VR.ORG they will be wanting to have future access, at least that is what I thought when I joined about one and a half years ago. Actually the first thing I asked about was: Who is paying for all this and where does the money come from. Pretty soon found out that most of the heat was on Don´s shoulders.

I am at least happy that Don came to the conclusion of asking for membership fee. I think this was just a matter of time since the site has grown rapidly. It will take years for him to cover the money he has personally put into this site that is if he ever will recover, not to mention the unpaid time spent. Remember the money Don has spent on keeping this site up and running is not being spent on him or his family and the same goes for the time he spent. The time and money has been spent on the site for us.

Therefore I believe we should contribute as much as we can. Some have a lot - others have little to give but every dollar counts. I am not a rich man but will always reach out and help a friend if I can - In my books that is what a friend is for. To be able to do that I have simply quit spending money on some things I can do without and use them for donating instead.We all spend money on something we can do without. For example - lets buy one less six pack of beer - Unsubscribe our entertainment magazine - and the list goes on and on.

Don has done more for me by creating this site and keeping it up and running, than I can ever do for him. Lets all do our utmost to help.

I would now like to suggest the following "as an option" to help raise money for Don going above and beyond his requested $12.00 membership fee, to help him with his upcoming medical expenses and to keep this site above water.

Every time there is a meet & eat, lets all pitch in and donate $1.00 and give it to the person who posted and arranged the M&E.

After that M&E takes place this person sends the money collected to Freebird via Pay-pal or through the mail, and posts what they collected.

Every person who attends a rally this year, each person dontate's just $1.00 to the person who posted and arranged the rally. That person sends the money to Don,and posts what they collected.

One more thought:

Lets have 52 people, one VR member from each state, and this also can include canada and other countries, but one person from each state set up a day benifit ride for some upcoming saturday in your state.

You plan the starting point, all potty / stops, and places to eat.

This is a benefit ride for FREEBIRD.. and each person who attends pays $5.00, $10.00 or even $25.00 as an entrance fee to the person who arranged and planned the day event.

That person sends the money to Freebird and posts the amount HIS state collected as a contest between states / countries.

The ride you plan can include riding into other neighbouring states, but each state must have its own ride planned by a VR family member.

That alone would be 52 planned benifit rides..:mo money:

I think Eck has a great idea!:bowdown: We are having a M&E in Iowa this Saturday and I am going to bring this up and see if we can get it started right away! :thumbsup2:

And/or the Saturday ride could even be a poker type run with a 50/50 type pay out. That may atract riders who never heard of this site or even have no intentions of joining. :think: :2cents:

Way to think Eck!!!

Bryan

We were calling around the other day pricing insurance. To our surprise we were offered a discount because we mentioned we are members of Venture Riders. I did not ask how much that discount amounted to, I just thought it was awesome.

Each day I see welcomes to several new members and I have watched this process each day since the day my name appeared here with a welcome attached to my name.

Venture Riders has a wealth of information provided by good folks who appear to enjoy sharing what they are able, I for one have a great appreciation for that sharing.

I hope to see this group continue growing, I pray that Don is able to recover fully as well as not suffer financially. My thanks goes out to all that make Venture Riders what it is and will continue to become.

OK, I’ve been reading all of these suggestions on how to handle raising money to support the site, and here’s my spin.

Like everyone else I received my email from Don and immediately responded via Paypal. I also read Don’s post on the board and the replies. I didn’t post a response because I felt it wasn’t necessary.

After reading some of the critiques in this thread, I been motivated....

On those that are worried about future growth because of the new fee, frankly Charlotte I don’t give a damn. We now have close to 7,000 members worldwide. If everyone of them sent in $12 bucks it would generate $84,000 dollars US in revenue, and we all know that isn’t going to happen. So no matter what the grand membership number is, there is only a core group of perhaps 5% of that total who are actually contributing via postings on a regular basis. Those are the folks that are getting most of the value, intertainment or otherwise,from this board, and those are the folks that need to pony up and shoulder the burden of supporting this site. The rest of the members, who like Z-Factor, drop in once or twice a year out of curiosity shouldn’t be charged a dime..... They can read and learn all they want, but they shouldn’t be allowed to post unless they pony up the $12.00 bucks. They do have a choice.

I hate to pick on Z-Fastor, but as you all know I try to do a few group buys for the members, and when he posted that he’d like to pick up one of the fork braces last year, and then disappeared without leaving any contact information in his CP file other than leaving him a PM, two visits a year ain’t gonna get it. And that applies to a lot of others that register with minimum CP info, post a question, and then leave.

For those regular members or potential members, who balk at the cost of a $12.00 yearly membership.... Com’on folks, $12 bucks ain’t gonna make or break you... It really falls into a category of just being plain cheap, or perhaps they really aren’t getting anything out of the board, and don’t think it has any value. In that case don’t join, and don’t post. Read all you want.

So, after all this cogitating, here are my thoughts. If you want to post, join, if you want to drop in once in a while, welcome visitor.....

The above may rattle a few cages, but I've never been one to keep my lips zipped...

Some great Ideas, Eck. I will gladly pass on any donated $$ to Don form the IN-KY-OH M&E on April 25 (yep, cheap plug). No donation required, but any $$ will be passed on.

myself i love this sight and the people that i have meet and the ones i am going to meet in the future. i have no problem paying $12.00 dollars to Don at all for the privlage of this sight that i use. it has saved me money by asking the kind people here a question and getting a real honest answer i have even got free stuff one one nice old guy (thanks ECK) i will send my money to Don this Friday.

Don i havent got to meet you yet but i would like to say thanks for what you do and i pray your condition gets better.

I think Z-factor or anyone who has negative comments should go away to some of the other sights that he says he belongs......Most of us are reacting as a family and doing the right thing.......every family has an *******......and Z-Factor I'm making you are official *******.........Be proud.....every family has one! JerryK:Venture:

Calm my friend - everyone has a right to their opinion and Z-Factor is not being negative or disrespectful. He is just voicing concerns about a big change.

I'm sure that all of this will work out over time. Patience is needed from everyone.

I'm asking that this post be the last one in this thread. Don has asked for help and you make the choice.

What's important for him right now is to concentrate on himself and his future with this devastating disease. We all know Don reads every post and what he doesn't need is to worry about the small things in life.

Lot's of members here have had cancer....it's the scariest word in the dictionary as far as I'm concerned. Right now we need to support him whether it's financially, in prayers, or just by sometimes thinking before posting.

Let's just give him a break.

Thanks

Deb

I have only been a member since last July but, I have to say that I think this is the BEST bike site I have ever used. I am not sure what all the gripe is about paying a membership fee is about. I visit this site almost everyday and I must admit I have made several donations to the site because THIS SITE SAVES ME MONEY AND HELPS ME WHEN I NEED HELP.

I have met quite a few good people here and everyone I have met has been very helpful when I needed help. I donated to the site originally because I knew that the site saved me from having to pay the Stealership. I am going to pay my new membership

Happily AND I am going to continue to donate EVERYTIME this site saves me money. If you are saving money what is it really costing you???

If you are not here to share info, help and learn and make friends why are you here?

Have you used the tech articles to overcome and issue...you saved money

Have you used the site to ask someone how to resolve an issue...you saved money

Have you used the site to find out how to install an item...you saved money

Have you used the site to find others to ride with and have a good experience

What is that worth?????

Several times I have had to work on my bike and when I posted questions here on the site, someone always has the answer for me on how to resolve my issuethereby preventing me from going to the stealership. Freebird has responded to every request for assistance even if it was just pointing me to the right information. Many others have responed to my various postings and emails and for that I thank them and Freebird. Sites like this don't run themselves and they are by no means free. It takes equipment, utilites, bandwidth and lots of time.

Pay your membership fee and be Happy you can find a site like this and hope it doesn't go away.

Pay a little when you find the site has saved you money. There is no minimum donation button. If you save $50/$100 or more because of Freebirds efforts (this site) reward him with a donation again. $1.00 $2.00 $5.00 etc all adds up.

Freebird, I wish you well and I hope that you get better soon.

:sign cmon::sign cmon::sign cmon: Just do the right thing!!!

I'm a proud everyday user of this sight. Just Sunday I lowered the front of my Venture with info from here that made it easy.....I'm about to add on a Stebel horn and have been gathering input from here for that. Don is like our dad for this great sight.....Don't go messn with the head of our family. Yes "Z-Factor" has a right to say what he wants.....But I have a right to disagree with him and I do. If you jump on here a few times a year you should check things out and quietly come and go. It was said on here that "Z-Factor ask a question a while back and then just disappeared again with out even looking for an answer.....Thats cool but not a typical member.The rest of us who live in this neighbor hood will do just fine with or with out "Z-Factor" and his lack of participation. JerryK:Venture:

OK, I’ve been reading all of these suggestions on how to handle raising money to support the site, and here’s my spin.

Like everyone else I received my email from Don and immediately responded via Paypal. I also read Don’s post on the board and the replies. I didn’t post a response because I felt it wasn’t necessary.

After reading some of the critiques in this thread, I been motivated....

On those that are worried about future growth because of the new fee, frankly Charlotte I don’t give a damn. We now have close to 7,000 members worldwide. If everyone of them sent in $12 bucks it would generate $84,000 dollars US in revenue, and we all know that isn’t going to happen. So no matter what the grand membership number is, there is only a core group of perhaps 5% of that total who are actually contributing via postings on a regular basis. Those are the folks that are getting most of the value, intertainment or otherwise,from this board, and those are the folks that need to pony up and shoulder the burden of supporting this site. The rest of the members, who like Z-Factor, drop in once or twice a year out of curiosity shouldn’t be charged a dime..... They can read and learn all they want, but they shouldn’t be allowed to post unless they pony up the $12.00 bucks. They do have a choice.

I hate to pick on Z-Fastor, but as you all know I try to do a few group buys for the members, and when he posted that he’d like to pick up one of the fork braces last year, and then disappeared without leaving any contact information in his CP file other than leaving him a PM, two visits a year ain’t gonna get it. And that applies to a lot of others that register with minimum CP info, post a question, and then leave.

For those regular members or potential members, who balk at the cost of a $12.00 yearly membership.... Com’on folks, $12 bucks ain’t gonna make or break you... It really falls into a category of just being plain cheap, or perhaps they really aren’t getting anything out of the board, and don’t think it has any value. In that case don’t join, and don’t post. Read all you want.

So, after all this cogitating, here are my thoughts. If you want to post, join, if you want to drop in once in a while, welcome visitor.....

The above may rattle a few cages, but I've never been one to keep my lips zipped...

There we go Condor. Couldn´t agree more. It is not going to make any difference if the site is going to loose members. Only the core members count financially - that is those who have interest in this site and the fellowship and helpfulness and have contributed when needed. And like you said - anybody can find a way to contribute 12 $.

I have even got free stuff one nice old guy (thanks ECK)

Hey, whats up with this "old guy" stuff....??

:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

:buttkick::buttkick::buttkick::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I hate to pick on Z-Fastor, but as you all know I try to do a few group buys for the members, and when he posted that he’d like to pick up one of the fork braces last year, and then disappeared without leaving any contact information in his CP file other than leaving him a PM, two visits a year ain’t gonna get it.

I do not want to take this thread off topic, but I will set the record straight because this statement has already been assumed to be accurate by another poster.

Jack, you must have forgotten that I was in the hospital, hence the reason I did not get back to you. As things turned out I ordered and payed for the brace after I recovered, and you sent a quality item that I was satisfied with. So I see no reason to have brought this matter up within the context of this thread, as it is irrelevant to the subject.

----

Without addressing specific posts directed toward me, I think Don can benefit from the different posts/opinions expressed in this thread to make a more informed decision. My suggestions are borne of some experience regarding internet forums and how membership either grows or diminishes. For instance, the Corvette Forum is one of the largest on the web. It started just 10 years ago or so, and was recently sold for mega bucks. They have an upgraded level that is paid, but most members participate for free. The site generates it's large sums of money via advertising, and that is the reason it was bought recently from the originator who was equivalent to Don.

Granted the demographics and financial resources of the different sites posters exist, but there is no reason why this site with an active membership could not generate more revenue via advertising. However if the hits to the site diminish(for whatever reason/s), so to will the ability to generate advertising dollars. I will take the time to contact Don via PM and make a few other suggestions for him to consider.

If I didn't care, then I would not be investing the time to even render an opinion. I have benefited from the site even though I only visit in spurts, and would like to see it remain strong in the coming years.

`

I think Z-factor or anyone who has negative comments should go away to some of the other sights that he says he belongs......Most of us are reacting as a family and doing the right thing.......every family has an *******......and Z-Factor I'm making you are official *******.........Be proud.....every family has one! JerryK:Venture:

Come on Jerry. The man was respectful in what he said and he deserves the respect back. He respectfully made his opinion known and put no one down. No need for comments like this.

I recently (3 months ago) did the "donate" thing here. I bought a set of rotors with a donation attached, instead of $10 I put in $15.00. And yes, this place is unlike any other. I was on the "other" venture site for a while but liked the feel and openness of this place so I sat myself down here.

All of you have helped me a lot, yes even you 2nd genners that like to stir the pot! Don helps me in almost every thread I start here.

I am one who will gladly pony up, and as far as I am concerned I really hope that more than the regulars here do as well...

This is not just a website.. WE are biker brothers, The Ventureriders. We stuff the hat to help a downed brother at meets and rallies, time to stuff the paypal hat of our latest downed brother.

I Jack, you must have forgotten that I was in the hospital, hence the reason I did not get back to you. As things turned out I ordered and payed for the brace after I recovered, and you sent a quality item that I was satisfied with. So I see no reason to have brought this matter up within the context of this thread, as it is irrelevant to the subject.

----

`

The example I was trying to make, and sorry it was at your expense Z, was that it took forever to finally make contact with you. And although you were in the hosipital at the time, your dropping in once or twice a year would have had the same results. MOF you've blown your limit for the whole year...today.... :whistling::rotf:

And you may not think so, but the example was very revelant to the subject of dealing with the 'once every 6 months' lurking member. Like I said, they don't need to pay, but they don't need to post either. If they feel a big urge to do so, then pony up the dues.

Way more knowlage on this board than I could EVER buy for 12 bucks!!!! Subscription made........not to mention talking with all the "nice" folks in the chatroom occasionally (HI Mama,Mini,Rotti,etc..:bighug:). I've even stopped and met with a member in Mobile AL. (Gene....or was it Glenn???:think:) while on a road trip!!!! 12 bucks??? I just won't buy a 12 pack tonight!!!!:whistling:

I thinks ECK is on to something. I feel that a hat or something like a donation bucket would work better, Or have a 50/50 drawing. That way if you can then "GO FOR IT" if you can't then No-one will know.:thumbsup2: I think this is a good way to raise money with-out discouraging people to attend M&E's There are times of the year that I just don't have any extra other times there is plenty and I have helped out others to be able to attend M&E's

I'll be putting a container out or have a 50/50 drawing at every M&E I help plan.

The example I was trying to make, and sorry it was at your expense Z, was that it took forever to finally make contact with you. And although you were in the hosipital at the time, your dropping in once or twice a year would have had the same results. MOF you've blown your limit for the whole year...today.... :whistling::rotf:

And you may not think so, but the example was very revelant to the subject of dealing with the 'once every 6 months' lurking member. Like I said, they don't need to pay, but they don't need to post either. If they feel a big urge to do so, then pony up the dues.

No offense but coming on here to air this complaint against a member was uncalled for.