IGNORED

Carbtune consistency

Midrsv

Last weekend I decided to synch my carbs again, it's been a few months. I hooked the carbtune up and the carbs were pretty close but I had to adjust one to get them perfect. After that I decided to switch the connection tube around at the top of the carbtune. They were out of synch agian. So I started experimenting with the different tubes. Took one carb tube and moved it through all four positions and found a different reading at each position. So I kept making adjustments based on a single gauge position until I had the same reading from each carb at that one gauge position. Then reconnected all four and there was some variance between the gauge tubes.

Has anyone else experienced this?

DT

I have only did mine once, but is there a chance that one of the hoses has a blockage?

I don't think so. I kept the same hose on each carb and moved it from one gauge tube to the next. Had there been a blockage it should have still read consisitently across the gauge.

DT

I've never really thought about switching hoses after my initial carb synch. The next time I do my carbs, I may as well give it a try and see the variation. So far, I've never had any problems and synching my carbs seems to help a lot on performance and peace of mind.

I've never really thought about switching hoses after my initial carb synch. The next time I do my carbs, I may as well give it a try and see the variation. So far, I've never had any problems and synching my carbs seems to help a lot on performance and peace of mind.

I would be interested in your results. I would like to add that my carbtune has only been used 5 or 6 times.

DT

I didn't purchase a carbtune, but got one from dennis kirk. It came with a multi port manifold (6 hose connections on one plastic tube). In the instructions it said to connect all 4 lines to one carb to calibrate the sync tool (get all 4 bars level). It had adjustment screws at the bottom of each bar on the sync tool. Before I sync my carbs I do this procedure just to make sure all four levels are the same. After the first time there has been little or no adjustment needed to calibrate the sync tool.

Most auto stores will have a multi port hose connector or using 3 T-connectors will also get the job done.

I didn't purchase a carbtune, but got one from dennis kirk. It came with a multi port manifold (6 hose connections on one plastic tube). In the instructions it said to connect all 4 lines to one carb to calibrate the sync tool (get all 4 bars level). It had adjustment screws at the bottom of each bar on the sync tool. Before I sync my carbs I do this procedure just to make sure all four levels are the same. After the first time there has been little or no adjustment needed to calibrate the sync tool.

Most auto stores will have a multi port hose connector or using 3 T-connectors will also get the job done.

This is interesting. There are multiple reasons why I dislike the Morgan Carbtune, but one of the biggest is that the instructions on a brand new one that I looked at last summer specifically stated that it could NOT be adjusted or calibrated after it left the factory! And to make matters worse, that particular one had one rod that read significantly low from the other three. Maybe you are saying that you bought a DIFFERENT sync tool?

With any vacuum or pressure reading tool designed to read multiple inputs simultaneously, it is imperative that the tool be checked for exactly equal readings before the first use and periodically after that. The best way to do this is by using a simple manifold that connects all the ports together and to a single vacuum source. There are lots of ways to make a manifold like that, but one of the easiest is to simply buy a 4-port air valve at an aquarium shop. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

AFAIK there are four afordable carb sync tools on the maket for four cylinder motorocycles.

The Morgan Carbtue

Motion Pro

Emgo Guage Set

And my personal choice the mercurey manometer (AKA mercurey Carb Sick) that costs about $55 and will NEVER go out of adjustment, however the mercurey is not a nice substacne to have around your home...

See photos below.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/Images/SSL11411SC.jpg

http://www.motionpro.com/images/enlarged/08-0411.jpg

http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/3/8/0/600pix/38040005.jpg

http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/media/parts/08-010.jpg

Edited by KiteSquid

Also check the hoses. If you get a 5 way vac splitter and connect one to the bike and 4 to the carbtune they should all read the same Since its only 1 vac source. A 5 way spliiter is fairly cheap. Or a 3 way and a 2 way connected together ( so you wind up with 5 inputs)That's what I do to calibrate it. Found it was dirty once. Cleaned it and it was fine afterwards.

I like the sound of being able to calibrate prior to synching. I'm buying a motion pro unit.

Dennit

I bought a motion pro synch pro, do not like it. Easy to suck the liquid out of it, if liquid separates its a PITA to get the air bubble out. I have found since, that to synch the tool, both of the screws on the middle channels have to be backed out all the way. If I borrow my next door neighbors mercury stick, no adjustment neccesary. That's IF I get to borrow it from him!

Dan

AFAIK there are three afordable carb sync tools on the maket.

The Morgan Carbtue

Motion Pro

Emgo Guage Set

See photos below.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/Images/SSL11411SC.jpg

http://www.motionpro.com/images/enlarged/08-0411.jpg

http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/3/8/0/600pix/38040005.jpg

I have the Morgan Carbtune and have used it twice with no problems. I will be more concerned with the condition of the rubber hoses after a few years or perhaps after using it 10 times or more. It is just like the rubber caps on the carbs...they deteriorate over time.

Has anyone used the Emgo mechanical vacuum guage unit? Price seems good but I am wondering if they are sufficiently precise to set these carbs up properly.

Ross

I have been using a set of four sealed mechanical vacuum gauges for 30 years that look very similar - even bought them from JC Whitney way back when. Frankly, not only are they trouble free, they are much more accurate than the Morgan carbtune.

Goose

I bought a motion pro synch pro, do not like it. Easy to suck the liquid out of it, if liquid separates its a PITA to get the air bubble out. I have found since, that to synch the tool, both of the screws on the middle channels have to be backed out all the way. Dan

Now you've got me reconsidering my last post. Does anyone know if the 4 dial gauge set can be calibrated?

DT

It should be able to calibrate it, you would probably have to remove the gauge glass and adjust.

Why did the EPA have to make mercury so inaccessible?????????

I have a set of mercury carb stick, so mine will NEVER go out of adjustment!!!!!!! I just have to NOT spill my mercury....

Now you've got me reconsidering my last post. Does anyone know if the 4 dial gauge set can be calibrated?

DT

The dial gauges can be calibrated. The instructions specifically tell you to remove the glass and reposition the pointer if necessary. Just make sure you pull the pointer off the shaft and replace it instead of trying to turn it!

Goose