IGNORED

Please read >>> AGAIN <<<

Black Owl

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'll drop my nickles worth in the basket. I only read the first post when the thread started and that was good enough, I thought. Since it's still here and getting more replies I read the last few.

Here's the way I feel about it... We are all guest here. So we follow the rules or we don't need to be here. Period.

Just like at my house. If you're a guest and I say "no drinking or cussing" (or anything else) and you don't agree, then go home. Period.

Why do we need to still be replying, questioning and, in some cases, trying to push the envelope?

Again, we've got one of the best forums on line. Why challenge something such as this. Just let the Mod's continue to "keep it a great site" It's free, it's fun, & it's moderated to their liking, big deal.

my sentiments exactly:thumbsup:Well put short and sweet and to the point.

Guest Swifty
If its been pulled they had a reason don't loose sleep over it; I don't. Sometimes it could be as simple as how a comment was phrased which could lead to misinterpretation, and if the moderators feel they need to pull it to keep the peace or avoid a possible misunderstanding so what; its not the end of the world.

MY sentiments exactly.

Gee!!! wish one of my post would get this much attention, mine usually just dribble off to the end and dissappear. May be I should push the envelope (NOT). KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK MODS. and this site will continue to be the best. If people don't like having there post deleated they should watch what they post. Just my 2 cents.

Joel

There's a lot of sentiments involved with the issue on this thread. I just hope that the Mod's and Board Admin discuss this amongst themselves and come to an agreement which they share with all members here....especially the policy of deleting posts which they (the Mods) deem necessary.

The main jist seems to be the lack of communication between the Mod's and the person whose post was deleted. To me that indicates a weakness in Forum policy which requires further policy or clarification presented to the members.

Boomer........who's gone through 3 bags of popcorn following this thread alone.....and means no offense to anyone.

Why challenge something such as this. .

coz it's in my nature to :witch_brew:

Just like at my house. If you're a guest and I say "no drinking or cussing"

Your interpretation of "cussing" is not necessarilly mine (or for that matter, someone else's)

Why do we need to still be replying, questioning and, in some cases, trying to push the envelope?

Well, I apologize for being "the devil's advocate" here but if folks don't question things, we would not have a democracy now, would we? Do you go through life simply accepting what is doled out to you?

My responses here are directed towards Black Owl's post...

Folks,

Recently there have been several posts which have been pushing the envelope.

Please be careful with your posts....

We have all been around enough that there is probably very little that would faze most of us. However, we have a realy simple guideline for the site ...If you wouldn't want your wife/child reading it.... don't post it.

The point being, what I would want my wife/child to read is not necessarilly the same as someone else's. And I'm not just speaking for myself. If I read it and feel it is acceptable for "my wife or child" and post it and then it gets deleted, or, it's "pushing the border" all I'm saying is... tell me why. Is that so difficult?

Now, I've stated my position and said my piece and made my case. I will get out of this and allow someone else to take up the cause or the thread can simply dwindle away.

Sounds like some people who are unhappy with the way this site is run may want to consider going to another site where they don't care what is posted. But then they wouldn't have anything to gripe about. Come on people get a life, this is a web site its not like they deleated your pay check.

Joel

Originally Posted by BigBoyinMS

Just like at my house. If you're a guest and I say "no drinking or cussing"

Your interpretation of "cussing" is not necessarilly mine (or for that matter, someone else's)

But at MY house MY interpretation is the ONLY one that matters. There would be no debate. (56 posts and counting)

In other words, I would have made the first original post and locked the thread because it would be a statement, not a point for debate. I know you want it your way but we are all smart enough to know where the mod's want the line drawn and it isn't going to change just because one or two don't like it.

Edited by BigBoyinMS

But at MY house MY interpretation is the ONLY one that matters. There would be no debate...

Got a good Chuckle out of it, so thank you. I'd thought exactly the same.

C'mon Folks, we all know what is the right Behaviour here, we know what Don doesn't like to see and we should all try to act accordingly. I was once or twice Part of Discussions which went away, felt somehow guilty of that and therefore, i had a bad Taste in my Mouth. Would i do it again ? More a Yes than a No. It's not the End of the World and i was feeling sad because i'd love to read Comments from others to the Issues discussed.

regarding SilvrT... now, he like to debate sometimes just like i do from time to time, and the Issue isn't real important to him. He just feels something wrong and starts to be the "bad Guy". Not because he's a bad Guy, but because there's got to be a bad Guy on the Block.

I'm a Moderator and Admin on a Forum myself. Sometimes (in Fact most of these Times) i don't feel like i have to discuss Things with a Member. It's my Decision and i'm only responsible to the Holder of the Site, nobody else. A good Moderator or Admin won't use this Power to hold it against someone specific, or by discuss Issues by PM, but speak in public and voice the Thoughts. I was forced to post serious Threads to Members who didn't want to stay within certain Lines and got personal, and i happy to say i mustn't use my Power to those Folks.

The Mods and Admin's are doing a fine Job here and there's nothing else than to thank them for their Service.

Who said were living Democracy here ? A Website and a Forum are "owned" by a single Person and this Person sets the Standards and commissions his Servants. This is Dictatorship. Not that Don enforces this, but it is no other Way. Period.

Well, I had started the following post but decided to "put it to bed"... then along came Squeeze's post and as a result, I just felt I "HAD TO" put this in....

But at MY house MY interpretation is the ONLY one that matters. There would be no debate.

And I would respect that but I sure would appreciate you clarifying your version of "cussing" and maybe giving me a warning before kicking me out. And who's debating a decision here? ... I'm requesting a notification...nothing more. Further, to my knowledge, I have never had a post deleted.

Sounds like some people who are unhappy with the way this site is run may want to consider going to another site where they don't care what is posted. But then they wouldn't have anything to gripe about. Come on people get a life, this is a web site its not like they deleated your pay check.

If you're referring to my posts/comments then I'd say it sounds like some people are missing the point. Speaking for myself, I am not suggesting in any way that I am unhappy with the way this site is run... totally the opposite. And I DO CARE what is posted and that has been demonstrated on other threads.

So, to clarify, the point is (and this is not a gripe but a simple request)...

If a post is borderline or deleted, is it too much to ask the moderator to private message the member as to why. Simple as that. The reasoning behind this is, if a member knows why his/her post is borderline or has been deleted, then they would at least know what is not acceptable by the standards of the moderators of this site. To say "no cussing" is simply not clear enough because we've all seen in here what may be considered "cussing" by some people, yet no one to my knowledge is directly warned and the post stays.

regarding SilvrT... now, he like to debate sometimes just like i do from time to time, and the Issue isn't real important to him. He just feels something wrong and starts to be the "bad Guy". Not because he's a bad Guy, but because there's got to be a bad Guy on the Block.

That's right...this is not real important to me ... but for some strange reason I feel compelled to take a stand. Maybe it's due to some of the responses LOL (you're eggin me on,,,not you Squeeze) (or maybe I'm just in a "Bad Guy" mood).

Who said were living Democracy here ? A Website and a Forum are "owned" by a single Person and this Person sets the Standards and commissions his Servants. This is Dictatorship. Not that Don enforces this, but it is no other Way. Period.

OK, so it's a dictatorship ... that's fine with me ... and I'll abide by the rules..no biggie. But when a warning is posted about posts that are pushing the envelope, it would really be nice to have a clear definition of where that line is drawn. It would be nice to know if I was pushing the envelope. Others might feel the same...maybe?

To lighten it up some, this is like when I was young .. my dad would give me a lickin once a month but never tell me exactly what for other than to say "you've crossed the line once too often last month..." ... all the while I thought I'd been good.

Isn't this fun? It's not political, not religious, nobody is bashing anyone (not that I can see) ... there's no "real" cussing going on ... just good "banter" ... and a bit of :witch_brew:

(....waiting for the responses LOL)

Boomer, chili ain't a CAJUN food, thats why it causes us to have brain farts.

If you need some salve for getting chapped try Boudreaus Butt Paste. The best thing in the world for baby rash and hind ends that get raw. It was invented in CAJUN country.

Hey br you are not far from my hometown of Opelousas La......and I sure as heck didn't say chilli wuz Cajun food....at least I don't remember saying dat! LOL!

Speaking of Boudreaux's.... I gotta be careful bout what I say cuz there's a few of them rascals that snuck into the woodpile and ambushed a few of our wimmen in my family's colorful history....:crackup:

ps: Yer close enuff to Coona$$ country to know about Justin Wilson....and if ya don't Google dat old boy up and enjoy yerself.

Boomer.....who can cook Cajun food a lot better den dat lard butt celebrity chef who thinks hollering BAM! makes his food Cajun........Pffffftttttttt.

To lighten it up some, this is like when I was young .. my dad would give me a lickin once a month but never tell me exactly what for other than to say "you've crossed the line once too often last month..." ... all the while I thought I'd been good.

Dang SilvrT you got off light! My old man used to whale me with a Barber's leather strop at least once a week whether I done wrong or not.....he claimed it kept his beer drinking arm in shape.

Boomer.....who didn't realize his 1st name wasn't "Dammit Boy" until I hit the 2nd Grade.....

Well, I had started the following post but decided to "put it to bed"... then along came Squeeze's post and as a result, I just felt I "HAD TO" put this in....

And I would respect that but I sure would appreciate you clarifying your version of "cussing" and maybe giving me a warning before kicking me out. And who's debating a decision here? ... I'm requesting a notification...nothing more. Further, to my knowledge, I have never had a post deleted.

If you're referring to my posts/comments then I'd say it sounds like some people are missing the point. Speaking for myself, I am not suggesting in any way that I am unhappy with the way this site is run... totally the opposite. And I DO CARE what is posted and that has been demonstrated on other threads.

So, to clarify, the point is (and this is not a gripe but a simple request)...

If a post is borderline or deleted, is it too much to ask the moderator to private message the member as to why. Simple as that. The reasoning behind this is, if a member knows why his/her post is borderline or has been deleted, then they would at least know what is not acceptable by the standards of the moderators of this site. To say "no cussing" is simply not clear enough because we've all seen in here what may be considered "cussing" by some people, yet no one to my knowledge is directly warned and the post stays.

That's right...this is not real important to me ... but for some strange reason I feel compelled to take a stand. Maybe it's due to some of the responses LOL (you're eggin me on,,,not you Squeeze) (or maybe I'm just in a "Bad Guy" mood).

OK, so it's a dictatorship ... that's fine with me ... and I'll abide by the rules..no biggie. But when a warning is posted about posts that are pushing the envelope, it would really be nice to have a clear definition of where that line is drawn. It would be nice to know if I was pushing the envelope. Others might feel the same...maybe?

Isn't this fun? It's not political, not religious, nobody is bashing anyone (not that I can see) ... there's no "real" cussing going on ... just good "banter" ... and a bit of :witch_brew:

(....waiting for the responses LOL)

This is why notification is not practical the moderators would spend their whole day debating the problem with you and most likely you or others would harbor hard feelings toward the moderator. I understand where you are coming from I have to bite my fingers on a regular basis but I understand what the rules are and try as I may I still have problems keeping my fingers under control.

It's real simple for me folks. I'm not going to waste my time sending a PM or email to a person who has posted something that had to be removed. Our rules here are too simple and it's just not that difficult to comply. Anybody who has been around any length of time surely knows what is and what is not acceptable. For those few who feel that they need to constantly push the envelope, I am not going to waste time trying to explain it to them. There have been some exceptions. I've had to remove a few threads that should have been just fine until somebody had to twist it around into a political statement. Sometimes it was a joke, just a comment, whatever. Within a few posts it turned into something that it should not have. In those few cases, I have send a PM to the person who started the thread to let them know that it was deleted but not really because of their original post.

I've seen MANY times where somebody even STARTED their thread with something like "OK...I know this is political but I've just got to ............" There is no excuse for that. You know you are starting something but you decided to do it anyway. There have been a number of jokes lately that were obviously across the line. Black Owl deleted about three of them just before posting this thread and I appreciate him doing so.

Sorry folks, but we are NOT going to waste our time sending you a message if your post gets deleted. None of you are stupid. If your posts gets deleted then you are surely smart enough to remember what you had posted and know to not push it that far again.

That's about all I have to say about this. There should be no debate about it.

Dang SilvrT you got off light! My old man used to whale me with a Barber's leather strop at least once a week whether I done wrong or not.....he claimed it kept his beer drinking arm in shape.

Boomer.....who didn't realize his 1st name wasn't "Dammit Boy" until I hit the 2nd Grade.....

back around when I was 10, I recall a very large aluminum bottle opener...a "novelty item" that had "Merry Christmas" written on it in several different languages .... my dad bent that sukkah over my behind!

To this day, I have a permanent impression on my left cheek of the words "Merry Christmas" in Japanese!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:sign just kidding:

Sorry folks, but we are NOT going to waste our time sending you a message if your post gets deleted.

I got my answer .... 'nuff said.. thanks Don. Meanwhile, I checked a few of my posts that I thought were "pushing the envelope" and to my surprise, they were still there so, that tells me a lot.

Have an awesome Easter weekend guys.... I know I will... I sold my '87 today... buddy is picking it up on Monday!

It's real simple for me folks. I'm not going to waste my time sending a PM or email to a person who has posted something that had to be removed. Our rules here are too simple and it's just not that difficult to comply. Anybody who has been around any length of time surely knows what is and what is not acceptable. For those few who feel that they need to constantly push the envelope, I am not going to waste time trying to explain it to them. There have been some exceptions. I've had to remove a few threads that should have been just fine until somebody had to twist it around into a political statement. Sometimes it was a joke, just a comment, whatever. Within a few posts it turned into something that it should not have. In those few cases, I have send a PM to the person who started the thread to let them know that it was deleted but not really because of their original post.

I've seen MANY times where somebody even STARTED their thread with something like "OK...I know this is political but I've just got to ............" There is no excuse for that. You know you are starting something but you decided to do it anyway. There have been a number of jokes lately that were obviously across the line. Black Owl deleted about three of them just before posting this thread and I appreciate him doing so.

Sorry folks, but we are NOT going to waste our time sending you a message if your post gets deleted. None of you are stupid. If your posts gets deleted then you are surely smart enough to remember what you had posted and know to not push it that far again.

That's about all I have to say about this. There should be no debate about it.

Well said Don and besides we have almost 7,000 members here Does a moderator have to take each and every one by the hand and explain. I think not that would create a lot of work for people who also have a life outside this site and need time for that too.

Don in my book you and all the moderators are doing a fine job and I for one will always respect your decision should you ever delete a post of mine for what ever reason, no explanaition required.

Edited by saddlebum

If any of my post are borderline or cross that line. Please let me know so I know where that fine line is. I do not want to offend anyone or their wife and kids as I would expect the same. We do tend to protect or loved ones. I do watch what I post but you never know what the other person finds over the line. Thanks for your attention and let all of us know when we cross that line so we know. Just pulling a post does not let us know what was wong.

I must admit that I have found the border of what is considered 'political' in America difficult to ascertain. I have made posts on what to me is a curious cultural difference that other members have found worth PM-ing me about and thn seen the thread deleted.

Was it because of me or because of something that was posted afterwards ??

I suspect the latter, but am aware that senses of humour over here and over there, as well as perspectives on life in general, seem to be somewhat different.

I wouldn't expect the moderators to spend time explaining their reasoning to me, even though I would be interested in their perspective.

Life is way too short to worry about about why a thread has disappeared, but if I was causing a 'problem', I would not be surprised if someone gently (or not so gently) pointed this out. Further discussion could be by PM.

So, keeping it all in perspective, thanks to all the moderators for their efforts.

Whether it applied to me or not, I've read the warning, as requested. :thumbsup:

I think Don said it best once in the past when he said ," This is an owned and paid for web sire. NOT a Democracy." If there are things you want to say or jokes to make find or start your own web site where you can say those things. In the year I've been on this site I've seen how easy it is for topics to go south. A couple of times I got caught up in those. I learned my lesson. Too many of us have this need to have the last word . The web can be dangerous in that respect because of its faceless nature. Because we can't see or personally know the other person we take liberties in what we say. Don and the mod's have been around long enough and seen this enough to simply no longer tolerate it. Once you've been here long enough you'll understand with out it having to be explained. Its not that hard to understand.

Mine will be short, the people that push the envelope know who they are, they do it for fun. The moderators DO talk with eachother about deleting threads, we all agree on their deletion. Many times we will PM members that have a thread deleted and let them know why, but like mentioned we aren't going to do it everytime, especially to folks that have been here a while.

You all know that you can go to a million different sites to state your opinions, this place is for comeraderie and helping fix our bikes. It is the best managed forum on the web, I'll put that statement up to anyone. You folks make this place what it is, we just have to steer it once in a while :)