IGNORED

safety chains on trailers

celticmedic

I just built a small pull behind trailer. Are safety chains required on motorcycle trailers? It seems dangerous to me. If the trailer comes unhitched, it's flopping around by the chains and would cause you to crash. Any insight?

If no chains , could you live with yourself if the trailer went sailing into oncoming traffic and injured other people ? Most state laws require safety chains .

BEER30

I agree....I think that most states require them but even if they didn't, it's the responsible thing to do. I would not want to live with myself knowing that my selfishness in not wanting to use the chains was the cause of somebody else getting hurt or killed.

My son has a scar from his belly button to just below his breast bone because a guy decided not to use safety chains on a snowmobile trailer. It popped off and hit him while he was standing on a side walk. This was a few years ago and all is fine. So should you use chains...YES SIR!

Keith

I just built a small pull behind trailer. Are safety chains required on motorcycle trailers? It seems dangerous to me. If the trailer comes unhitched, it's flopping around by the chains and would cause you to crash. Any insight?

It's dangerous to ride a motorcycle. It's dangerous to pull a trailer. It's dangerous to get out of bed.

You pull a trailer, you take the responsibility to secure that trailer to your vehicle so it doesn't harm anyone else.

What a timely subject. I almost got killed today due to my car hauler coming unhitched from my truck. When I finally got everything stopped and on the shoulder I discovered that the pin that holds the hitch head into the receiver was gone, the head pulled out and one chain had let go as well. Can't say what happened to the pin other than it was gone. Either it broke or the safety pin fell out allowing the 5/8" pin to work out.

The trailer whipped from one side of the road to the other hitting the back bumper on both sides each time it did so. I can't imagine what this would be like if it happened on a bike. My empty trailer probably weighs about 1/3 of what the truck weighs and it through that truck around like a toy.

Sure glad I had safety chains even though one came off. Also glad we didn't get hurt and I didn't hurt anyone else.

Tip for proper chain hook-up:

Make sure the chains are heavy enough, and that the latches are of the same strength, dog lease clip on's are not good enough. Cross the chains and keep them as short as possible, that means that when you make a sharp turn you stretch the chain almost to it's limit, that way if the hitch comes undone, the tongue can fall into the crossed chains and you have the best control, (if it's possible) that is possible.

JMT

Carl

Absolutely YES, as mentioned above in most states I know of it's illegal not to have them on. I have seen 1st hand what happens when a trailer comes unhitched and had no chains on. 2 seconds separated Lonna and I from being roadkill as I had a trailer come off in from of us while we were on the bike.

Safety chains are required as per Federal law. If you don't want to use safety chains leave the trailer home. This subject was hashed over before. By doing a search you should be able to find it.

I have pulled trailers with cars a few times. ( long trips )

As far as doing it with a motorcycle, ???? I will pass on that one.

The idea of haveing that thing behind me just don't cut it with me.

I will just buy what I need when I get there, I think it will be cheaper and safer

in the long run.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents on the subject

Chains on a trailer are safer than no chains IF they are used right.

the chains need to criss cross under the toungue to cradle it if it was to pop off. this eliminates the trailer flipp flopping and tumbling. it just will waggle around like a crazy maniac. they also need to be tight so the hitch cant drop far. I see guys with chains on dragging on the road and not crossed.

the only way you can legally not have chains is to not use a hitch ball but a pintle hitch where it's impossible for the hitch to let go of the trailer.

the only way you can legally not have chains is to not use a hitch ball but a pintle hitch where it's impossible for the hitch to let go of the trailer.

Sorry to say, but this is incorrect. The only hitch that needs no safety chains is a bonafide fifth wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, my bad. Here in Michigan they dont require chains for the Pintle hitch. When I worked at the City of Muskegon, I was told this by the safety officer the city had in the yards. none of the city trucks had safety chains on any of the trailers when they went out.

Guest tx2sturgis

Are safety chains required on motorcycle trailers? It seems dangerous to me. If the trailer comes unhitched, it's flopping around by the chains and would cause you to crash. Any insight?

Sorry to say, but this is incorrect. The only hitch that needs no safety chains is a bonafide fifth wheel.

I have a friend whos wife coupled up a horse trailer to her pickup one time and apparently, didnt do it right. She had done it hundreds of times before, but this one time, something went wrong, and when she was rounding a turn, the trailer came loose, no chains were hooked up, and that trailer went sailng down the road with the prized but helpless horse along for the ride. The trailer crashed into a retaining wall at something like 45 miles an hour and broke the horses neck. The wife was understandably upset and crying for a week. Would YOU want to hurt an innocent victim if you make a mistake?

Chains are much more of a second line of defense if the ball or hitch fails. YES! use chains!!! I always do!

Just to clarify, the only hitch that requires no safety chains is a bonafide fifth wheel as in a semi. Class 8 big rig. A pickup with a gooseneck is not a fifth wheel. Use the safety chains or leave the trailer home.

Just to clarify, the only hitch that requires no safety chains is a bonafide fifth wheel as in a semi. Class 8 big rig. A pickup with a gooseneck is not a fifth wheel. Use the safety chains or leave the trailer home.

OK, I'll bite.. what is it then? And I can't say as I've ever seen anyone with these kind of hookups using safety chains ... I mean, how do you hook up safety chains to a "5th wheel gooseneck"?

Ok, i've read all the comments and I agree that hurting some one by my neglect is unacceptable,but consider safety a chain on a one wheel trailer such as a uni-go. If it is connected by a chain and comes un hooked you (me in this case) are in very serious trouble, likley not only a wild loose trailer flying around but a motercycle and a tralier flying arround uncontroled. Just the loose trailer is far less dangerious and injery to me and passanger are almost certian with it hooked with a chain where un hooked it may not hit any thing. I and my passanger need to be my 1st safety concederation.

Ok, I've read all the comments and I agree that hurting some one by my neglect is unacceptable,but consider safety a chain on a one wheel trailer such as a uni-go. If it is connected by a chain and comes un hooked you (me in this case) are in very serious trouble, likley not only a wild loose trailer flying around but a motercycle and a tralier flying arround uncontroled. Just the loose trailer is far less dangerious and injery to me and passanger are almost certian with it hooked with a chain where un hooked it may not hit any thing. I and my passanger need to be my 1st safety concederation.

Safety chains, if installed properly keep the two units together. Consider the implications when you purchase your trailer. If you think it's too dangerous to put chains on a 1 wheeled trailer, then don't buy one. If you think that you don't want a loose trailer following you because the hitch came undone, don't use one. You have the choice, to use it with others in mind, or to be self-centered and not to consider others.

The proper and safe way to attach chains, is to use heavy enough hardware to do the job properly, attach the chains back far enough on the tongue, and then when you hook the trailer to the pulling vehicle, you cross the chains and leave only enough length so that the unit will turn without pulling on the chains. This way, if the hitch should come undone, there is a cradle to catch the tongue and get you to a stop in relative safety.

If you don't chain up, and your trailer comes undone, and I happen to coming to wards you with my trailer, I'll pull the quick release on my unit, so that I can more easily avoid yours, but I leave no guarantee that you will avoid mine.

Ok, i've read all the comments and I agree that hurting some one by my neglect is unacceptable,but consider safety a chain on a one wheel trailer such as a uni-go. If it is connected by a chain and comes un hooked you (me in this case) are in very serious trouble, likley not only a wild loose trailer flying around but a motercycle and a tralier flying arround uncontroled. Just the loose trailer is far less dangerious and injery to me and passanger are almost certian with it hooked with a chain where un hooked it may not hit any thing. I and my passanger need to be my 1st safety concederation.

Your response sounds like you are saying 'As long as me and my passenger are safe'

You are being sarcastic, right?

craigr

This is a good topic and even though it’s come up before it serves as a good reminder for everyone.

There have been a lot of good points mentioned here but the safety of you, your passenger and that of others rely on a little more then just safety chains. I know this thread was raised on the question of safety chains so in order to keep on topic I’ll start by saying where it’s the law, not only ‘do it’ but more importantly ‘do it right’! That is the operator’s responsibility and among other things, failing to do so may leave you liable.

It doesn’t stop there though and as already mentioned safety chains are a secondary measure. If they come into play it obviously means that you have other problems! Keep your trailer and load within reasonable limits, balanced and weighted proportionally with the tow vehicle, in proper repair and check everything every time you stop! Touch your hubs for over heating and shake your wheels and ball hitch for ‘play’. Make sure everything is secure and in good repair and you will reduce the chances of having to use your safety chains.

I try to keep a very close eye on these things and it still things can happen. One day while out on the road with a trailer I had stopped for a coffee. Before heading back on the road I did a circle check on the trailer and found the ball nut spun half off its threads... I know it was tight when I pinned the receiver at home! Some how it had worked loose, I think because of heavy load, snug clamp on the ball and no ball grease.

In short, don’t plan on using your safety chains but know that if they do come into play you’ve done it right. Be safe!