IGNORED

Looking for a TCI

Finally pulled my TCI out for a "shake and bake", took the cover off and discovered a lot of battery acid fume corrosion from where the PO had taken the vent hose off the battery. That's the reason I had to repaint the frame last year when I did my second gear.

Soooo, not sure if the board is affected way down deep in it's recesses, I'm looking for another TCI to fit an '84. Anybody got one they want to part with in good shape? I've got a few days as I also pulled the carbs to clean out.

Appreciate your help,

Dan

Hi Dan, take a look at the track ways, so's long as they are still intact you should be able to repair it. if you can post a picture of it here, I'll have a look at it and tell you what I think? Its a shame you can't buy new pcbs?

Hi Dan,

I am trying to remove my TCI to inspect it as well. How did you get yours out?? Right now my girl is down to a frame and a pile of wires, but I have yet to figure out how to remove it.....

Thanks in advance,

83VR3711

Hi Dan,

I am trying to remove my TCI to inspect it as well. How did you get yours out?? Right now my girl is down to a frame and a pile of wires, but I have yet to figure out how to remove it.....

Thanks in advance,

83VR3711

I just removed the carbs, airbox and battery box. Use a short stubby phillips (#2) screwdriver and you can remove the 2 screws that hold it in. Of course, they're upside down, but it can be done.

Yours should be especially easy if you've got the fairing off, you can pull the whole bracket out that the TCI, coils and pressure sensor mounts to. 2 bolts on each side (#10mm) and pull the whole bracket.

Good luck,

Dan

Dano, from what I've been told, any year except an '83 will work. I do have 1 spare but I'm afraid I might need it for the '85, and won't know for at least a couple of months for sure.

make sure of the year. I found out the hard way. Now asw for youryear there are usually a few on ebay. Also pinwall cycle on ebay is a real good plce to start.

Mine is a 91 and a 88 wouldn't work in mine only 90-93 . I think 83 -85 but not sure and 86-89. Hope this helps.

David

The '83 TCI is all alone. I ended up with one by accident and tried it. My '84 started and idled fine but I believe it's the advance curve specs that are different. I had the specs on an old post somewhere. If I can find them I'll post them. As a replacement on an '84....won't work for the long run.

Edited by Snaggletooth

I am aware of the difference. The 83 pulls its vacuum for the timing (pressure) sensor from above the butterfly in the carb, 84 to 89 uses the same TCI (vacuum pulled below the butterfly). I believe the 90-93 uses a different profile for timing. Thanks for the input, tho.

Dan

Spent 2 hours last night here at the "electronics" work bench, cleaned all the corrosion off(totally removed the board from the housing-ouch!!), put it back in and re-soldered the connections. Some of the circuit board slots didn't fair very well from the removal, but I've managed to get them all soldered back together. Checked ohms from the terminals to points on the board and had an average of .1 Ohms across them. Now I'm looking for the terminal point diagram on here so I can check pin to pin resistance. If someone could help me finding that, I would appreciate it!

Carbs later on today after some BBQ for lunch!

Thanks again guys,

Dan

Hi all, I have rebuilt two units and both work fine, if anyone's got some non-functional TCI units please send them to me stating the year of the bike and I'll see if I can repair them, like I stated though, if the pcb boards too damaged, trackways burned etc then there's not much that can be done:178:

Frogman is very good when it comes to this stuff. I get lost trying to follow his directions. Electricity and I don't get along. I have my extra TCI on "Ugly" now. First time I washed her when I got her with just water hose I couldn't get her to start again. Still got to get in there and take old one out.

Didn't we have someone that rebuilds them??

I think it was DonB, that did that. But he was burned by a new member & was having trouble, getting some replacement components. So he may have stopped, doing this service for us.

BTW has any one seen him on the site lately????

I think it was DonB, that did that. But he was burned by a new member & was having trouble, getting some replacement components. So he may have stopped, doing this service for us.

BTW has any one seen him on the site lately????

He answered a pm from me about a month ago about my tci. Turns out his setup only deals with the 83-89 tci boxes.

David