IGNORED

Any bowhunters here?

Guest ReinyRooster

Guest ReinyRooster

I am currently shooting an Oneida Aeroforce. I fell in love with the Oneida because of the smooth pull through the entire draw because of my shoulder problems. The problem with the Oneida is the weight of the bow, and also the size of it...it is a long bow compared to many others. Makes it difficult to hunt with this bow from a ground blind because most ground blinds are not tall enough. As a result I am looking into different brands of bows and have come across one make called "Concept Archery", which makes a nice looking shorter and lighter bow, and they advertise 99% let off.

I would welcome suggestions of any other makes of bows keeping in mind my biggest issue is that I need a smooth draw throughout the draw...I can't pull over the hump that many of the bows have.

Thanks for the input.

99% let off..Wow,I never heard of that before...

I shoot with a old Darton SL50......It's almost as old as me.:eek:

Most of the guys I hunt with are shooting PSE...

I guess I need to upgrade....

Shari,where's the checkbook...Reiny say's I have to buy a new bow....:D:D

If I do get back into it ( I was VERY invloved about 10 years ago) I would buy a Mattews Solocam. I had a Browning Midas and the axle ratio was long, but it was VERY smooth, I pulled 72 lbs with that one. I have been out of the archery loop for so long now I couldn't tell you what is good anymore, but I do like the Mattews

:thumbsup2:

Guest ReinyRooster

Thanks Dan.....as if I'm not getting into enough trouble on my own! Bwahahaha!

The Matthews is a nice bow but the ones I pulled were the same issue for me...ya gotta pull your heart out to get over the hump, and my shoulder won't allow it.

There is a Sportsman Show coming up in 2 weeks in Toronto, so I'm gonna go look at what's out there.

my shoulder also bothers me but for hunting I'm sticking with an old PSE fire-flight set at 62 lbs 65% let-off Now I also shoot vegas indoor (the guys I shoot against shoot unlimited I shoot hunters class) if I buy a bow for that it'll probably be a Parker, Ross or matthews. but remember shorter bows tend to have a shorter brace height and are much less forgiving. also new bows are faster (you can get 360 ibo and 85% letoff) but YOU better be able to shoot, because if you don't know what your getting in to you'll be giving the deer a huge break

Reiny,

Mathews has released the '09 HyperLight bows that weigh under 3.5 lbs. It is one of the compact designs that should work in a ground blind. Check out the specs here: http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-11252-44-ViewProduct-1475-324.asp

I should also mention Mathews is a great Wisconsin company. Based out of Sparta, WI.

I shoot an older Mathews Conquest Lite. Bought it used and have been pleased with it's performance and durability. I am limited in what I can shoot cause of a 32" pull. Therefore, I haven't shot one of the new bows, they only go to 30 or 30.5". Mine still kills, so I will probably stick with it (and it's paid for).

RR

99% let off..Wow,I never heard of that before...

I shoot with a old Darton SL50......It's almost as old as me.:eek:

Most of the guys I hunt with are shooting PSE...

I guess I need to upgrade....

Shari,where's the checkbook...Reiny say's I have to buy a new bow....:D:D

LOL... I shoot a Darton 70MXR... Just like me, it's pretty old... Been looking at a PSE or maybe a Mathews..

Check out the Hoyt bows. With their cam and a half system they are very easy to pull. I was shooting a Jennings bow before set at 60# with 65% letoff because I hunt thought Jan. here in Ohio, and at those low temp's and bundled up it was hard to pull. My Hoyt is set at 65# with 85% let off and I can pull and hold it no problem. Check out www.Hoyt.com

+1 For Matthews . I have the Z-Light . Though I haven't shot in a few years , I've kept my string waxed .

That reminds me , I'm reorganizing the garage , need to build a new table for setting up my arrows . Now to find my fletching clamps too !

BEER30

It's been a lot of years since I've been bow hunting. I had a short brush setup called a Warthog. Nasty little thing but dead accurate. Took a few deer and something the cajun crazies I hung out with called a "pig". Didn't look like a pig to me. Looked like a demon from hades just before it went down.

Tasted like it to.

Reiny, I use a parker easy draw. These bows are designed for older hunters and hunters with disabilities that requirew a smoother easier draw. When I went in to buy a bow I looked at several different models and brands, most I could comfortably draw was about 45 lbs with my injuries in most bows. With the easy draw parker I bought, I'm pulling back 60 lbs. I have shot 3 deer with it and am in no hurry to upgrade any time soon. Very good quality and value for what you get. It is very quiet and smooth, and if you can find a last year model I payed a little over $500.00 for the bow completely dressed out with good quality accessories and 6 carbon fiber arrows plus a hard case at gander mountain.:dancefool:

check out the details on the latest easy draw bow here http://www.parkerbows.com/pb/2007/compounds.html?action=detail&detailsku=1061

Hope this helps,

Big Mike

Personally I shoot a Hoyt magnatech.Love the Hoyt line up. If you have a reputable bow shop in your area the best way to find out what works for you is to go there and tell them your problems with your shoulder. they will point you in the wright direction.Alos you could check your local laws on the legality of cross bows. Here in my state (North Carolina) they just made it leagal for anyone to hunt with a crossbow. With or without a handicapped permit.

Matthews is a sweet bow but tend to be a little heavy to get over the hump. My magnatech is an older bow but pulls even throughout.

guess it would be best to try and see. But make sure the shop is there for you and not themselves.

Good luck with what ever you by.

David

This is what you need to do...

you need to get away from those bows with training wheels on them.

I shoot a Custom Recurve from Alleghany Archery. It was a Christmas Gift from Big Tom.

They did a great job.

We are both Traditional Shooters and really enjoy it.

here's a buddy bow hunter friend of mine from tanzania..

these people ( the MASAI ) will hunt down a lion with spears. they will go as a little group, (armed with spear and a machette), circle a lion, and close in from all sides for the 'KILL'. once in a while the lion might maul one or two from the group, before dying. this is not done as a sport, though. they will only do this if lions come searching for food in to their village and kill a goat or a cow.

I shoot a pearson 68# recurve thats older than me and has 0% letoff. Killed many deer and won several tournaments as well. No sights, cables, wheels, overdraws or anything useless. Did I mention Howard Hill taught me to shoot back in the late 60's?

I shoot a pearson 68# recurve thats older than me and has 0% letoff. Killed many deer and won several tournaments as well. No sights, cables, wheels, overdraws or anything useless. Did I mention Howard Hill taught me to shoot back in the late 60's?

Howard Hill huh!!! I just became your biggest fan I can't shoot one of those things (long bow or recurve etc.) admire those who can and Hill was the best there was

how much of that teaching did you retain? being at the beat 5 years old I don't think I would have remembered all that much

Edited by Arcs&Sparks
found age of the quoted person

There are a lot of good bows out there. I current shoot a PSE X-Force, But have had a Hoyt and a Mathews. All were good bows the mathews was probably the smoothest draw but if you don't keep it time it will wear on the string suppressors quickly. The Hoyt Ultra-tec I still have also. Just can't quite put it down.

You just need to find a dealer and find the one for you.:thumbsup2:

This is what you need to do...

you need to get away from those bows with training wheels on them.

I shoot a Custom Recurve from Alleghany Archery. It was a Christmas Gift from Big Tom.

They did a great job.

We are both Traditional Shooters and really enjoy it.

:whistling: Training wheels eh????????

I've never heard them calling that before......

Suddenly,I feel so inferior.

I think I need to schedule some more therapy....:rotfl::rotfl:

Wow,, I didnt realise there were that many other hunters on here! I started as a kid back in the 60's with a Bear Kodiac recurve and acutally killed a couple deer with it before I bought a first year model Allen Speedter. I lost that one (was FREEZING from winter hunting and laid it on top of the truck, climbed in to chat with my dad and took off with the bow on top of the truck!!!).. Bought another Speedster that lasted many years and killed a few really nice bucks with it (Michigan state land bucks are nice if they are 6 point or more).. Bought a Darton in the late 70's and hunted with it till one of the limbs lost lamination while drawing on a buck.. Am now using an old Bear Whitetail and it has been really good to me!!

I cant imagine a 99% let off.. Are you guys sure about that?? You realise that means at 100# your only holding 1# right.. Sure seems like that would be really erratic draw going oer the cams needed to produce that......

Concerning going back to a non-compound,, I picked up a Black Widow long bow at a show last year and tried to pull it back and about separated my shoulders and it was only 70 pounds at my draw!! Put a Buck in front of me while trying to draw that puppy back and there would be a 4 inch blur all the way around me and my arrow would be clattering on the arrow rest for sure!!!!!

Trucker,, what you really need to do is go to real good sport shop and try out a bunch of bows.. Most of the better shops will have a range and a nice selection of bows (w/ arrows) to do some shooting. Seriously, that is your best bet..

'Puc

Did a lot of target shooting over 20yrs ago with my compound, but never went out hunting. With a little coaxing from Reiny I have just passed the hunting course on the weekend and now have my licensce.

I hope when we go out I can decifer the difference between a wild turkey and a rooster.:rotfl:

Hal

Guest ReinyRooster

"I hope when we go out I can decifer the difference between a wild turkey and a rooster."....bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! You such a funny guy!!

Guest JGorom

One of the former "joys" in my life..."bowhunting" and "3-D Archery." Former because my time and life has been called to and filled with other things...all of which have been equally satisfying.