IGNORED

VentureRide Around the Texas Border

V7Goose

Cold danged ride today! S'posed to get into the mid 40s from the forecast, but no way - most of the day was at 33, and it briefly hit 37 before it dropped back off. We had good gear with us, so mostly comfortable except for fingertips, but after several days of 80 degree riding, it's a bit of a shock to adjust, ya know? We rode all the way up the east side of the panhandle as planned - got to Higgins... Man, just in case you are ever traveling in the area, do NOT plan on staying in Higgins! I wouldn't let my cat stay there, and I ain't even got a cat! Here is a picture of the bikes at the ONLY fuel in Higgins, looking across the street to the great 5-star hotel (the only option there, too):

[ATTACH]27016[/ATTACH]

So we hit the road again, looking for something that didn't make the skin crawl. Ended up in Perryton, right on the norther border of the panhandle. Will head on over to Clayton, NM, tomorrow, and see what the weather brings after that. I'll include a few other pictures so far.

[ATTACH]27017[/ATTACH]QuickSilver loaded up, waiting for Cyote61 to come back from Oklahoma after missing the turn at the Dennison Dam.

[ATTACH]27020[/ATTACH]Here he comes!

[ATTACH]27021[/ATTACH]We thought the 07s were blue, right? Not after some dirt riding!

[ATTACH]27018[/ATTACH]Shook hands with Texasyamahamama in Nokona - couldn't hang around long.

[ATTACH]27022[/ATTACH]Cyote61 in his electric gear and 33 degrees, just wishing I'd get my ass on down the road and find a room!

I'll post more as we go - wish you were here!

Goose

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goose, how does your brother like the sound of the Bubs? It looks like he got them pretty dirty by the pictures.

I am sure by the time he makes the circle, he will be able to hear them in his sleep.

Shoot, if you ride behind him long enough, you may as well.

When you make El Paso, I would strongly suggest driving 30 miles Southeast on Interstate 10 to the Fabens exit, then drive 5 more miles through the desert to Cattleman’s Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch. It is well worth the drive

I will keep track of your travels and enjoy the updates.

Be safe

Jim

Guest cyote61
Goose, how does your brother like the sound of the Bubs? It looks like he got them pretty dirty by the pictures.

I am sure by the time he makes the circle, he will be able to hear them in his sleep.

When you make El Paso, I would strongly suggest driving 30 miles Southeast on Interstate 10 to the Fabens exit, then drive 5 more miles through the desert to Cattleman’s Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch. It is well worth the drive

Be safe

Jim

Hey, after he heard them the first time he's kept me in the back so he can't hear them. He says I'm now socially unacceptable or some big word like that, meaning I have no consideration for the noise I make. I say, "tuff, I like it stick it in your ear" :hurts:

Be safe

Jim

How DARE you sell loud pipes to my brother!?!?!?!?! You should be HUNG! :rotf:

Actually, they don't seem that loud. And even if they are, Tom would never admit it! :stickpoke:

I'm probably pretty well known here about my thoughts that loud pipes are socially irresponsible (I guess I have insulted some members with my comments on same). But his Bubs aren't that bad. I wouldn't want them, but when he passes me at speed, they are not annoying, and if he pulls in front of me, I don't hear them at all.

On a different note, I really appreciate the suggestion on Cattleman's Steak House, but you need to zero it in just a bit more. When I look it up on my GPS, there is one IN Fabens, to the west of I10, and another one in the same area just a bit further from I10 on the EAST side. So just which one should we wave at when we rumble by at 10 AM Monday morning? Actually, I have no idea if we will be there in time to consider running down for dinner on Sunday night, but it would be good to know for sure which one you recommend. Thanx!

Goose

Dawned danged cold - bike was showing 24 degrees when I first wandered outside! Forecast for Perryton wasn't showing much warming all day, with winter storm coming that night, so if we didn't roll, we might be there for several more days. The only positive outlook was that temps further west in Clayton were supposed to be hitting the 40s, so we decided to hit it with lots of hope.

The good news is that the temps did steadily climb as we headed west along the northern border of the panhandle. From 28 degrees when we left, they were pushing 50 when we got to Clayton! I had good gear, and with my heated grips I never even felt cold, so it was a good ride. We stopped for a great lunch at Maria's Country Cafe in Texline, then headed south along the New Mexico border. Other than a pretty stiff breeze, the riding conditions were great. Lots of interesting things, if you like the high dessert like I do. That country is just swarming with antelope! By about two in the afternoon we were just bombing along having a great time when Cyote61 pulls up lame, Dumb guy forgot he was s'posed to avoid nails when riding a mopickle! No shoulder at all, so we just kinda stop in the middle of the road and start pulling the patch kit out. Couple of antelope watching us, but you can't see them in the picture unless you have supernatureal powers:

[ATTACH]27082[/ATTACH]There are a couple of antelope in the distance, right near the top of the fence post, honest!

[ATTACH]27084[/ATTACH]Time to dig out the tools. [ATTACH]27086[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27083[/ATTACH]Just a little nail . . . [ATTACH]27085[/ATTACH]And the plug.

The nail wasn't much, but it went in at a real ugly angle. I carry mushroom head plugs, but with the angle of the hole, they just didn't seem to seat right. Tire did hold air, but we could detect a slight leak that probably would be noticeable in a day or two. Best we could do out there, so we decided to head on to a town and find some goo to add inside the tire and finish the job.

We made the next 75 miles into Logan with no problems at all, but when Tom pulled up next to me at a hotel the tire was clearly not fully up - and 10 minutes later it was flat again! Looked for the plug and it was nowhere to be found! I worried about using it in such an angled hole - guess I was right. The good thing is we happened to stop right next to a NAPA store, so bought their tire goo, stuck it in, and problem solved!

Friday morning looks cold and almost snowy here - forecasts for the border all the way down to Hobbs are mixed, but radar shows freezing rain. Looks like we might just sit it out all day in Logan before heading out in warmer weather tomorrow. All in all, yesterday was still a pretty good day - weather ended up in the 60s, and even the flat wasn't really a problem for us. And ANY day on a motorcycle is better than the best day not riding!

Goose

http://www.cattlemansranch.com/map.htm

Exit # 49 off IH 10 them 5 miles into the desert (paved road) to Indian Cliffs Ranch

It is a little pricey but the steak is damn good. If you go during the evening (note: hours of operation from link above) lot's of neat things to look at or just set on the porch and enjoy the sunset.

There are a couple of good places in Laredo (good fish mexican style)Marisco's El Pescador - http://www.mariscoselpescador.com

207 Shiloh Dr, Laredo - (956) 795-8207

When in McAllen (mexican food)

http://www.casadeltacorgv.com/Casa Del Taco

www.casadeltacorgv.com

:Venture:

Is 60:scorched: and Sunny here in El Paso this Friday afternoon. Was 40 this morning.

3-4 weeks ago we were at Cattlemen's in Fabens we had a bad meal. :thumbdown:

We got cold beer:happy65:, charcoaled burgers :happy34: and a "warm" tour planned for you when you get here.

We're retired so ready when you are. :clap2:

I guess I need to catch up with where we are on this here trip to nowhere.

Sat morning,3/14, dawned with lots of local fog and kinda cold:[ATTACH]27340[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27341[/ATTACH] Temp was around 26 degrees.

But it warmed OK by about 1100 and we took off in 34 degree weather that felt pretty nice. Roads were dry and clear, but the high dessert had quite a bit of snow in places:[ATTACH]27338[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27339[/ATTACH]

We had a great ride down to old route 66 and over to Adrian where we got fuel; neither of us felt cold at all. Then we cut south and thought the hoary winter gods were coming to get us! Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures here, but I'll try to describe it. For the 40 miles south of I40 the fields were spewing fog like and Icelandic geyser. The wind was strong enough to have this fog and the low clouds look like we were constantly riding into a solid blizzard front! The temps dropped down from around 40 to 32, where the roads had not had any time to clear from the snow storm, and we were riding in a mix of slush and mud thrown off all the farm truck tires. Nasty! A day that had been so beautiful and warm for the past several hours became cold, damp and miserable. The fog and slush cleared after about 45 miles, but the rest of the day never did feel warm again, even when the temperatures got into the mid 50s. But we saw lots of great panhandle country, with a tremendous mix of farm field, ranch, open range, dessert and grasslands. At one point we had a whole herd of mule deer slowly cross the road right in front of us, led by a fantastic fat buck with great rack. Just watching those deer slowly approach the fence and then magically spring over it like a mythical beast was a great interlude. When we got to Hobbs, NM, close to the bottom of the panhandle, we had covered a bit over 300 miles and decided to stop for some well earned martinis!

With Sunday, temps started back to the great riding weather the area has seen for the past six weeks, starting off in the 40s, but staying in the 60s most of the day. Just perfect riding weather. I found the USGS survey pin at the SE corner of the panhandle and the Geocache there. Not much to look at, but a few pix anyway:

[ATTACH]27349[/ATTACH] QuickSilver with the USGS marker post in background [ATTACH]27350[/ATTACH] The actual survey pin - not too impressive

[ATTACH]27347[/ATTACH] Deer tracks right behind QuickSilver [ATTACH]27345[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27346[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27348[/ATTACH]

After leaving the corner post I filled up in Kermit and headed west for El Paso. 5bikes had tried to warn me about limited gas and winds, but I thought I was too experienced and smart for that! I can almost always get better than 200 miles out of a tank, and you can see the extra 1.5 gallons I was hauling in some of the pictures, so with only about 200 miles from Kermit to El Paso, I thought I was jake! Hell, I was so confident I had it aced, I didn't even bother to slow down in the massive headwinds I hit during the climb up to Guadalupe Mountains National Park (try not to look at the dash in some of the pictures!). The dessert can be starkly boring to some, but there is interesting stuff there if you look. Not much in these pictures tho!

[ATTACH]27351[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27352[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27353[/ATTACH] You can see the Guadalupe Mountains slowly looming up in the distance in that last picture.

Well, after several hundred miles and the spare gas, I finally decided I should slow down a little after I went on reserve the second time! My brother had taken a separate route that day while I cavorted around in the sand dunes, and he wisely stopped for gas at the Dell City cutoff (I foolishly laughed and thumbed my nose at them as I whizzed by, nothing but a blur!). Anyway, I came up on both Tom and Chuck (5bikes) waiting for me a short ways out of El Paso. I had been on fumes for a while, but still thought I had it made. No such luck! Died by the road just three miles from salvation! Had to beg gas from my brother - oh, what ignominy!

We've been in El Paso with 5bikes and his lovely wife Linda for a couple of days now. Tom's rear tire is getting thin, so he decided it was best to change it here before we headed down the long dessert border to Brownsville. Well, they don't like 2nd gen Ventures much in this part of the country!!! Ain't no 150/90-15 tire to be had ANYWHERE within 200 miles! Spent half the day on the phone and internet today looking for one before we finally found a rape service in California that could overnight a tire to us for $120 SHIPPING! And no, they didn't throw the tire in for that price too! Hoping to see it tomorrow so we can mount it and get out of the hair of these great folks here. Chuck and Linda have been fantastic hosts, and l_g, another antique rider in the area has been a great person to meet too. We are truly lucky to have met such great new friends out here.

I guess that's all for now - maybe another post after we make our way down through Big Bend National Park. Y'all ride safe now, y'hear?

Goose

Just thought maybe I should add a few more words about the biker gang here that has El Paso a bit on edge. I already mentioned in my last update that they don't like 2nd gens much out here - but there do seem to be 5,000 or 6,000 antique 1st gen riders around (from what I hear), and 5bikes is the ring leader! Sounds to me like Chuck is secretly working to aquire and move as many of them old bikes to the dessert as possible, then his gang goes out and shanghis some poor unsuspecting local, tatoos code words and gang colors on his scalp, and tells him he WILL ride and join the club OR ELSE! :bowdown: Many of them called to 'check up on' the new guys in town, but only one would stoop low enough to come over and associate with riders of modern machinery (the afore-mentioned l_g). He is really a great guy, but I can't tell you any more about him - gotta respect his cover, ya know? If I spill the beans, a squad of secret service goons might show up and break my thumbs! :big-grin-emoticon:

Man, Chuck's got the neighborhood so on edge that his neighbor even brings in his trash can for him in the morning before he gets up, and another comes over a couple of times a day to check in and get clearance on what bike to buy next and what repair is allowed! This place is tough, I'm tellin' ya!

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis

I am just now reading up on your ride around the Republic. I was trailer truckin the area during all that snow....some folks still dont know that the Texas panhandle gets its share of snow in the winter.

Hey if you get the chance, and its not too late, be sure to take Transmountain Road, Loop 375, up over the Franklin mountains. Great view to the south, and you are looking into another country from up there...Mexico of course! There are a couple rest areas with lots of parking...easier to get to heading EAST over the pass. BTW....I was in El Paso on Saturday.

From here, your journey will get interesting, and a lot warmer. Good luck!

(with apologies to Bob Dylan)

Well, I guess it is time for a new update here. Everything has been a total comedy and tragedy of errors since we hit this miserable place last Sunday! Ya know where I said above there weren't any 150/90-15 tires in this town? Well, THAT was wrong! When we were out buying Tom's new bike yesterday, I found the needed tire in THREE different bike shops that told us on the phone they didn't have any tires! So much for having to special order a tire from California, paying $130 for overnight shipping, and waiting around a day to get it!!!!!!!! Can you say "Angry?" Sure you can.

Tom's blowout with that new golden tire we needlessly ordered is well documented in a different thread, so I won't re-hash it here other than to note his bike was totaled by the insurance company; that's why he was out buying a new bike. He initially found a new 2009 Venture S at a local dealer and made a great deal for it on the phone. Unfortunately, when we went to pick it up, the dealer started giving him some static about fixing a couple of very minor scratches, which escalated to an exchange of insults and a less than polite invitation to "GET THE $^%$ OUT OF MY STORE!" from the general manager. It is safe to say they don't put the customer first there. Oh well . . .

No other Ventures within many hundreds of miles, so we went to another shop and he bought the ONLY Goldwing in this town! Not something I would ride, but at least it has nice paint. I guess it should for an extra $8,000! There are not a lot of touring options available here if you don't want to accept a paint shaker. Sooooo, now we sit another couple of days waiting for a radio and some other stuf to be overnighted to the Honda shop for the new bike. Hoping to get back on the road by Sunday.

Goose

Goose, while riding in the cold weather, did you have your carb heaters turned on? I know that you installed a switch and was just wondering what your experience was. Thanks for all of your posts.

Even though I have the cutout switch, I left it on most of the time. During normal conditions in the day I would rather turn off the driving lights than the carb heaters, but neither is necessary unless you are running other electrical accessories. The only extra cold weather stuff I have is grip heaters, which are very low current, so I didn't need to turn anything off. I did play with the switch a little, but since I did not actually have too much electrical load, it didn't make much difference. I was surprised that the voltage didn't drop a little more with them on, so I will be double-checking the circuit after I get home.

Goose

Hey V7Goose (and Tom)

Hope everything is back to normal now and you continue you trip Sunday morning.

I guess I'm l_g right? the other antique rider that showed up to meet you guys last Tuesday.

Like the GW, no just the color, everthing.

Good luck, safe trip back home.

Rudy

Rody 1949:thumbsup2:

No Rudy, l_g is not you, that's Lowell. When I made those original posts Lowell was the only one who had come over ("l_g" is his ID here, and I was only trying to be a little funny, not digging anybody about not coming over to meet us). I didn't know your ID here until now. Really sorry I didn't think about including notes the next day that you had come over and spent so much time helping us mount the tire and take care of things after we got the tire in on Tuesday!

Both Tom and I feel tremendously fortunate to have met you on this trip, and we were really touched that you called this afternoon to check on how things were going. It has been tough on us to be stuck here all week, especially after the crash, and your friendship and concern really helps!

I sure hope if you ever get over towards Fort Worth you give me a call - we'd love to get together with you, and you always have a place to stay with us!! Thanks again for all your help and friendship,

Goose

Guest cyote61

:thumbsup2: I will add this; EVERYONE I've met in El Paso has been fabulous to us. I've been ridding over 45 years and gawd only knows how may miles across North America I've traveled. I've raced motorcycles as well as just toured and always considered myself an excellent rider. Never once after all these years of motorcycle touring did I ever consider that I would ever crash and total a motorcycle. I've saved and rode out of dozens of near death episodes over the years. I will tell you all that if you have a catastrophic blow out and the tire leaves the rim its over. You no longer have control of your destiny and you better think about that. Hold your speed down when you think its prudent.

I can also tell you that at 65 years old, when you come to a dead stop in a couple of seconds you are going to get hurt, big time and the pain you are left with if lucky enough to live, makes you not so nice of person to go to a cocktail party. I crawled away with a bunch of contusions, several places that looked like you took a patato peeler to me, and nasty base ball sized bruises, plus at least one broken rib, maybe more. It HURTS but life goes on.

However, people have been very kind to me, and I'll heal. Got a set of wheels to replace my Venture and we continue on the Ride around the Texas border and thanks to all that care. Friends mean more at this time than the discomfort of the body destruction and that's what heals.

I'll be seeing you all down the road.

Regards,

cyote61

:bluesbrother:

As Tom said, we think we have our act pretty much together again - his new bike is set up and he is moving around. Should be on the road again this morning, shooting for Marfa tonight - maybe we'll see them spooky Marfa Lights? More later...

Goose