IGNORED

question for 2nd generation owners

bubblehead

First of all let me introduce myself. I own a 2007 Venture and live in FL near Cocoa Beach and I am currently active duty NAVY in the submarine force.

My questions are:

Have any other's had a rust problem on their bikes?

Does the warranty cover this issue?

On my antennas at the joint where they fold is just covered in rust. After taking the saddle bags and trunks off last week to do a thorough cleaning (field day for you navy folk) on the bike i discovered more rust on the chrome under the trunk and a few spots on the forks.

I couldn't find anything on this issue in the warranty info that I have.

Thanks for your help

Bill

Bill,

Welcome!!! Glad you found us here and hope you hang around for a long time.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any manufacturer that will warrant their product against rust, especially if you live near the ocean. Salt air is a killer.

You could always try, but I'd be shocked if they gave you any coverage....

Joe

I agree with Joe, it's a mechanical warranty, Yamaha doesn't have any control over how folks take care of their bikes or where they live. Thats not meant anything against you personally, but I don't think your going to be able to get anything out of them.

Back many years ago I used to hunt your foreign counterparts, HSL 36 in Mayport Florida ASW with SH2F's Glad to have you here with us.

I use to live on Long island and the salt is every where in the environment as for the rust on the antenna couplers you can use a product called Brasso on the chrome parts and it can be found in wal-mart and hardware stores. Also I highly recommend the Turtle wax, ICE car wash and the Turtle wax ICE Synthetic Liquid Polish. Make sure you remove all the water spots before you apply the liquid pollish or you will be stuck with the water spots for quite some time.

I use to live on Long island and the salt is every where in the environment as for the rust on the antenna couplers you can use a product called Brasso on the chrome parts and it can be found in wal-mart and hardware stores. Also I highly recommend the Turtle wax, ICE car wash and the Turtle wax ICE Synthetic Liquid Polish. Make sure you remove all the water spots before you apply the liquid pollish or you will be stuck with the water spots for quite some time.

A car wash that leaves water spots????

A polish that doesn't take out water spots???

Who'd buy these products anyway???

:witch_brew:

all thank you to all that have replied to my post and have welcomed me to sight. I have found it very helpful..Well i bought the bike back in Sept 08 and from a dealer in southeast ga, the previous owner was a wee bit short and just didn't like the bike and traded it in. He keeped good care of if from what i can tell and thats when i found the rust and the dealer is willing to work with me but we will see. I have been using a product called magic cloth kinda like never dull but it isn't. It polishes and takes the rust off but the couplers are very bad. A clean bike is a happy bike and it keeps the rider happer..............

billf739............Use a brass bristled brush to get all of the rust off....then scrub the area clean with a wet SOS pad.....rinse well...when the area is good and dry spray the rust area down with Clearcoat. Get at least 3 good coats of Clearcoat on the rust-infected area.

Ride safe and smooth sailing.

Boomer........A Chief who knows about kicking butt on rust.

billf739............Use a brass bristled brush to get all of the rust off....then scrub the area clean with a wet SOS pad.....rinse well...when the area is good and dry spray the rust area down with Clearcoat. Get at least 3 good coats of Clearcoat on the rust-infected area.

Ride safe and smooth sailing.

Boomer........A Chief who knows about kicking butt on rust.

Just have him bust out the needle gun and some haze gray. Seems to fix everything. maybe some bug juice? hell it cleans the oxidation off of brass fire nozzles and still gets served on the mess decks. now that is some all around stuff

Unfortunately, I don't know of any manufacturer that will warrant their product against rust, especially if you live near the ocean. Salt air is a killer.

John Deere does. (Construction and Forestry anyways)

Customers who spend $300,000+ on a piece of machinery sure are damn picky....

We live near the coast here in SC and salt air can be a problem. The best thing I've found is a product called Boeshield T9. Clean the metal and wipe it down with it and it lasts a long time. I use it on cast iron saw table tops about twice a year, on my boat and trailer trailer fasteners and on the bike.

I thought everybody in the NAVY, was taught at boot camp, how to Polish Brass, and metal fittings ???

Check with your Chief of the Engine rooms, or your Chief Boatsmans mate, I'm sure he can give you some advice on this problem :stirthepot:

I am a Plankowner on USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55), and in my RADAR Rooms, I took down all the brass and polished it up as BRIGHT as I could get it.

I then sprayed it with clear Polyurethane spray paint and reinstalled it.

When I went back to her for a second tour of duty almost 10 years later, the bright-work was still gleaming!!!!!!!

LOTS of labor saved over the years!!!!!!!

And lots of Never-dull saved for the 00-04 quarterdeck watches!!!!!

For this crusty old Senior Chief (well not that old) really appreciates all the help and the funny qoutes. Looks like the dealer is going to have the copluers replaced don't ask me how but he is......will keep all posted on the how.........To the boomer Chief with 20 patrols under my belt know exactly what you mean......lol........

Stinking bubblehead squids...

I resemble that remark.

I've had two Millennium editions. The first one had the exact issue yours has on the antennas. My second one does not. With the looks of the rest of the first bike, I was amazed it had the issue.

Glad to see they are replacing it.

SUBMARINERS ONCE!

:250: :337:

billf739............Use a brass bristled brush to get all of the rust off....then scrub the area clean with a wet SOS pad.....rinse well...when the area is good and dry spray the rust area down with Clearcoat. Get at least 3 good coats of Clearcoat on the rust-infected area. well said bill,

This is the only way to fight rust when you live on the coast,

mike

bill739, I know you will agree that salt air will cause rust to develop on your bike. If I lived in Florida, I would be cleaning my bike almost every day or every other day depending on the amount or riding.

Keep up with the cleaner and polisher on the bike. I would give the bike a nice wash at least every month and maintain a steady regiment of polish on the frame, chrome, etc. This is a good way to spend more time with your ride daily.

Regards.