IGNORED

So how well do cowboy boots work with 2nd Gen Controls?

GG54172

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

I love boots. I have a collection that drives my wife crazy. But let me give some advice. Cowboy boots are like gloves, helmets, motorcycle seats, etc. etc. No one pair fit the same. I have 3 custom pair that were made off measurements of my feet. They pretty much fit like a glove. But they even had to stretch and mold to my feet. And then there are different leathers to consider. Probably elephant is the toughest. And shark and stingray are tough. Bullhide is tough. I wear cowboy boots as my primary riding boots. I don't have to worry about shoe strings, and they cover my calves. Easy on & easy off. I can shift better with the pointed toes. I had the leather soles replaced with neoprene, oil resistant soles and heels. This is a must!!!!! You'll slip all over the place in leather soles. My biggest advice is when buying boots is consider the fit the most. You can cripple yourself in a pair of bad fitting boots! And in a pair of cheap-john boots too. You'll have to spend $$$ to get a pair of quality boots. I'd be embarrassed to tell you what I spent on my custom boots. But to each his own.

I have three pairs of Justin cowboy boots. I don't wear them when I ride because the leather soles are slippery plus cowboy boots have a tall heal.

I'm really interested in some cop boots. I was an EMT for ten years in Deer Park Washington and Rocky boots were the bomb. So, what to the Medical / Police use these days? Yea, I still get the Galls catalog.

I love boots. I have a collection that drives my wife crazy. But let me give some advice. Cowboy boots are like gloves, helmets, motorcycle seats, etc. etc. No one pair fit the same. I have 3 custom pair that were made off measurements of my feet. They pretty much fit like a glove. But they even had to stretch and mold to my feet. And then there are different leathers to consider. Probably elephant is the toughest. And shark and stingray are tough. Bullhide is tough. I wear cowboy boots as my primary riding boots. I don't have to worry about shoe strings, and they cover my calves. Easy on & easy off. I can shift better with the pointed toes. I had the leather soles replaced with neoprene, oil resistant soles and heels. This is a must!!!!! You'll slip all over the place in leather soles. My biggest advice is when buying boots is consider the fit the most. You can cripple yourself in a pair of bad fitting boots! And in a pair of cheap-john boots too. You'll have to spend $$$ to get a pair of quality boots. I'd be embarrassed to tell you what I spent on my custom boots. But to each his own.

Dude, check out Mulehide boots. I have a pair that are 20 years old and are still nice. I bought another pair that hasn't been broken in yet. Takes awhile.

• 5 months later...
I'm not crazy about riding with cowboy boots. I've always felt like the leather sole is too slick when I put my foot down.

I recently picked up a pair of the black boots that alot of EMT, police, & tactical people wear. I swear by them now. They are like wearing tennis shoes & get good traction. The best kind to get have the laces but also zip up the inside of the leg for ease of putting them on and off.

+1 on slick leather soles. Went into a gas station one time and put foot down in some spilled fuel. Zip, foot went out from under me and I durn near dropped my (much smaller than a Venture). Since then, I wear motorcycle specific boots with an antislip sole.

I wear black terra lite work boots that have a zipper on the side instead of laces. they work great. They have good traction soles a steel toe, And if you rub snow seal, dubbin ey keep you or bees wax in them every once in awhile they keep your feet dry. I put lots on then let them bake in the hot sun so the leaqther soaks it right up. Best of all they are affordable and available at any work boat outlet, but look like a biker boot.

I really prefer my cowboy boots for riding. The pants leg never rises above the tops of the boots which offers a little more leg protection plus they look good on the rider. I've had my Justins for several years. I danced with them for over 10 years (country two step, polka and waltz) and re-soled the last time with rubber half soles and had a spacer added to the heels also. That even helps my short legs reach the ground! Owen.

I've worn both the cowboy boots and the law enforcement boots (not at the same time of course) :-P

My opinion of each.

Law Enforcement Boots:

I've worn Bates and Rockies with and without the zip up access but all with Gor-Tex (and 6" ankles -- whatever that measurement is called).

Pros:

Reasonable protection, excellent traction, good breathability, feet stay bone dry when walking through water that do not go above the top of the boot (and they stay just as dry when on the bike in heavy rain)

Cons:

In my size 14 the boots were quite wide at the toes that I found a little difficult to use on certain bikes (not so much the 2nd gen, but a big problem on my wing); Laces -- any one that has gotten a lace stuck on a shifter or brake lever knows why this is a bad thing (easy solution is to keep those things tied and tucked out of the way)

Cowboy Boots:

I am on my second pair of Double H 3283 Western Work Boots (my 1st pair lasted me just over 4 years of DAILY wear). After I bought these boots (I had intentions of wearing them just for riding, but they were comfortable enough these are the only shoes I will wear unless I am working out or something).

These have a thick rubber sole (but does not look obnoxiously thick when you are standing in them) and a pointed toe. My feet stretch the leather out quite a bit around the toes, but that is no big deal to me.

Pros:

Comfort, slimmer toe than the Bates boots -- allows for much easier manipulation of the controls on different bikes; Protection -- 10" boots cover ankle very well and up the leg a bit, my jeans never even get close to exposing the tops of the boots so there is plenty of bug/rock/weather protection thanks to those. Great traction, etc.

And of course, with a good looking pair of boots you never need to slide on a pair of 'dress shoes' again! :-P

Cons:

Do not breathe quite as well as the Law enforcement boots; weather protection is not quite as good as the gor-tex boots that I wore BUT my feet still stay quite dry; It was very difficult for me to find a boot that fit my foot well and had the rubber sole - in my opinoin this is a big downside.

After wearing both types I will be continuing to stick with the cowboy boots and have no plans to switch that up.

To answer the other question you had, with my cowboy boots the heel-toe shifter is LESS in the way, but it still bothers me and my big feet a little.

Hope that is helpful.

Rick

I always wear Ariat boots for riding and everyday use. And rubber soles are a must for a solid footing on the pavement. Plus its feels alot better as far as heat from engine goes. I bought mine local for about 120.00$. And they are also great in the cattle pens,if you get my drift.:thumbsup: Chris

I recently picked up a pair of the black boots that alot of EMT, police, & tactical people wear. I swear by them now. They are like wearing tennis shoes & get good traction. The best kind to get have the laces but also zip up the inside of the leg for ease of putting them on and off.

:sign yeah that: :thumbsup2:

I've worn square (clip) toe ring harness boots for riding for many years. My last pair of Georgia boots lasted me 17 years and 3 or 4 resoles/heels. When looking for replacements discovered Georgia boots aren't as well made as they used to be. I shopped around a lot for new boots this past spring and discovered Chippewa Boots. They are extremely well made, have the Vibram soles. I bought a pair made of lined bison leather which are extremely pliable and suppposed to be very long lasting. As luck would have it, I found a pair of Chippewa black engineer boots with steel toe on sale recently at a give-away price I couldn't pass up, so now have 2 good pair of riding boots. I wear my harness boots as my normal footwear in the cooler months.

I have avoided pointy toe cowboy boots, as I've been leary of the toe getting in the way, or not being firm enough, for shifting and braking.

Guest curtismiller

I ride a RSV with heal and toe shifter.I can ride it with sandals,bare footed,tennis shoes.boots.moccasins.I shift both ways.If shifting a bike is a problem to you ,get an automatic.Dont be a pinhead.LOL Curtis

I used to work in the western industry during the big western craze of the '80's. and wore 'riding boots'...., because it was fashionable. Everyone who wore them raved at how comfortable they were. Basically I think they were afraid to admit that they sucked... sorta like mass hysteria. They were the most unconfortable footwear I'd ever worn, and since the company I worked for owned a boot factory I could have anything I wanted for next to nothin'. They pinched your toes, hurt the arches, and rolled ankles,.... but they looked good!!!! Riding boot were designed for riding a horse, not doing the two-step at your local saloon. The pointed tow for getting into a stirrup, the underslung heel in order to not catch the hell when dismounting, and the steel arch for support while in the stirrup. Now remember I said western riding boots. On the other hand they also make a 'roper' style boot with a walking heel, and about an 8" top. Comfortable as all get out. After trying a few riding styles I switched to the roper and never looked back. There used to be jokes in the industry. How can you tell a real cowboy? He's wearing Adidas.... Or.. How do you tell a fake cowboy. He's got two quarters to rub together in his pocket... :) :whistling: :stirthepot:

• 1 year later...

I just found this thread...

My medical issues notwithstanding....

What do you bikers recommend for someone who rides as footwear?

I occasionally ride with friends, but hubby is getting his first bike soon. Thus far I've worn MY cowboy boots I'm supposed to wear an AFO brace that corrects the foot drop when not in my boots. I prefer my western boots for the comfort and support they offer when on my feet, even my steeltoed work boots aren't comfy for long.

A tightly laced boot up beyond the ankle is the best protection. This gives ankle protection and firm control. That being said, I always wear western boots. Probably since I come from Nebraska originally and they give a higher lift on the pavement when flat footing the bike.

:farmer:

Which model/style? I "Googled" Bates Boots and they make a BUNCH of styles. I need something better than my New Balance Velcro "quick starts".

I picked up a pair of EMT lace-up ankle-top boots off Ebay with the zipper side. Tie 'm once and that's it. From then on it's a zip up affair... Very comfortable.

Which model/style? I "Googled" Bates Boots and they make a BUNCH of styles. I need something better than my New Balance Velcro "quick starts".

All of the EMT, Police type boots they offer are great as long as it has the zipper. There was some discussion regarding the laces getting caught on the shifter. I tuck the laces (after tying the boot of course) down into the criss crossed laces, then use the zipper from then on out. They're really comfortable, non-slip, and I like the looks of em too.