IGNORED

So how well do cowboy boots work with 2nd Gen Controls?

GG54172

It's taking me a little bit of effort to get used to the heel-toe shifter. Plus, my current riding boots are worn out and it is time tor eplace. I am thinking about getting a set of cowboy boots, but I am wondering how well the work with the controls. My size 12 foot barely fits between the two shifter pegs as it is.

Anyone else ride with forward controls and cowboy boots?

Guest Saddletramp

Toe shifter only is in the Star accessory catalog, pg.71. Part #'s are as follows;STR-4NK38-00-01 smooth and STR-4NK38-00-02 milled. Both retail at $118.95. Star Touring discount is 10% or you can try Seattle Motorsports and I believe their discount is somewhere around 25%. "Cowboy" boots or western boots are all I wear on my feet when riding. I wear a size 11 and have plenty of room with the stock heel-toe shifter.

Edited by Saddletramp
addition

I'm not crazy about riding with cowboy boots. I've always felt like the leather sole is too slick when I put my foot down.

I recently picked up a pair of the black boots that alot of EMT, police, & tactical people wear. I swear by them now. They are like wearing tennis shoes & get good traction. The best kind to get have the laces but also zip up the inside of the leg for ease of putting them on and off.

Cowboy boots are all I wear, and I have been riding with heel/toe shifters since the early 70s with ZERO problems.

I know the choice of shifter types is personal, but I would NEVER accept riding with floorboards and not having a heel & toe shifter. The floor boards position the foot high enough that it is difficult for me to use the ankle to raise the toe enough to up-shift, meaning I would have to use my thigh to raise the whole leg enough while keeping my ankle stiff. In contrast, raising my heel and just sliding my foot back a hair to let it down on the shifter is effortless and natural to me.

I have noticed that when downshifting through several gears I often unconsciously rest the inside of my heal on the shifting lever just above the pivot bolt. I guess this just makes it easier to keep my foot in place for the next down-shift without having to move it again.

Bottom line, for ME anyway, is that I would NEVER accept a touring bike without floorboards and a heel/toe shifter, and the only boots I wear are cowboy boots. And with size 13s, I still have lots of room to move my feet around on the floorboards for different positions during a 1,000 mile day on QuickSilver! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I'm not crazy about riding with cowboy boots. I've always felt like the leather sole is too slick when I put my foot down.

I recently picked up a pair of the black boots that alot of EMT, police, & tactical people wear. I swear by them now. They are like wearing tennis shoes & get good traction. The best kind to get have the laces but also zip up the inside of the leg for ease of putting them on and off.

Got a link or brand name?

I wear cowboy-style boots, but NOT with leather soles. They are comfortable for walking and wearing, not only on the bike. No problem operating the heel-toe shifter -- I out-shift some o my friends who have toe-only shifters on other kinds of bikes. Mine are size 11.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Boots/Mens-King-Harness-Boot/42215.html

All I wear is Cowboy Boots for riding. I too found that the Leather sole was a little slick. I took my boots to a local shoe repair guy and had him add to the sole a rubber piece over the leather for $30 and no more slip. The piece he added is thin enough you don't even see it and it actually helps protect the leather sole adding years to the life of the boots.

All I wear is Cowboy Boots for riding. I too found that the Leather sole was a little slick. I took my boots to a local shoe repair guy and had him add to the sole a rubber piece over the leather for $30 and no more slip. The piece he added is thin enough you don't even see it and it actually helps protect the leather sole adding years to the life of the boots.

That's cheating !!!

but slick !!! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I should have said my riding cowboy boots have vibram lug soles

Anybody have any other ideas for a toe only shifter for the RSMV?

The poor boy option is to cut the rear part of the arm off, grind and file it smooth, and put a clear coat on the bare steel. This is what I did. This is the first bike I ever owned that had a heel shifter on it. I tried to get used to it and couldn't and gave it up. It's not needed, and it was really nothing but in my way anyhow. My left foot has a lot more room without it.

Being originally from Nebraska, I wear nothing but "western boots" and they have rubber soles and heels. I prefer good brands...Justin, H/H, and any good quality boot manufacturer. I always buy at a store east of Kansas City (about 40 miles on I-70) called "Klienschmidts". My wife knows that whenever I head west and get close to this dealer that I will buy one or two pairs of boots. They have a huge inventory.

Guest Saddletramp

Check with your local dealer or call Seattle on the phone. I am ready to buy the custom pass. back rest and it doesn't show in their system. When I spoke directly with them they pulled the part # up and it wasn't in their inventory but was on back order. Sounds as if they don't carry it in stock the part# isn't recognized by their system. That is the numbers in the '09 accessory catalog.:detective: The black boots that are mentioned are referred to as "duty boots" and there is a fairly large selection in Galls catalog. I have a pair of Bate that I wear at work and the biggest thing I have noticed about Bates boots is that they are slippery when wet on painted concrete floors. The other thing about some duty boots is that they are hot on my feet. I mean extremely warm to the point that I will thoroughly dampen a pair of socks with them on at 70 degrees. That is why I prefer the looser western boots or a wellington style with composite soles.

Edited by Saddletramp
addition

I have seen lot of people using cowboy boots while riding their motorcycle and the biggest complaint is the dress boots soles are slicker than snail snot. Milwaukee makes a cowboy style boot. My self I'll stick with Milwaukee's time proven Trooper boot.