IGNORED

Platinum Burners

Freebird

Those lights really light up the road at night and are very visible during daylight as well. Well worth the money spent IMHO. I mounted mine on the upper crash bars of my Venture for a good "triangle" of light pattern in conjunction with the headlight.

I also bought an extra set as a backup.

If the Company offered those lights chromed they would fly off the shelves.

Boomer.......who can light up the night with the best of them now.

I mounted a set of these inside the lower grill of my VW Jetta. I hooked them up at first to come on as fog lights with the low beams... I figured they were way to bright since every car I met flashed me. I adjusted them down several times and finally had reconnect them to be used with the high beams only.

These are 55 W lamps. Is anyone using them as well in addition to the standard 35 W Yamaha driving lamps? If so, is there enough stator output to handle the extra 9.2 amps these require? I assume that people who use them are running a separate circuit?

Ross

I assume that people who use them are running a separate circuit?

Yep....Separate circuit with in-line fuse and separate switch as well.

The ignition switch on the Venture is prone to early failure if you hook up additional lights to the basic lighting circuit. BTDT and never going there again.

Boomer........enlightened by experience.

These are 55 W lamps. Is anyone using them as well in addition to the standard 35 W Yamaha driving lamps? If so, is there enough stator output to handle the extra 9.2 amps these require? I assume that people who use them are running a separate circuit?

Ross

There are replacement 35 watt bulbs to be had as I swapped over when I installed them on my 1st gen. I used them as additional lighting on the 1st gens as there wasn't enough light for my liking. It will impact the charging system a bit, but nothing drastic unless you have tons of extras added on. I always had the ones I installed on a separate fuse with a direst connection to the battery and a relay installed.

There are replacement 35 watt bulbs to be had as I swapped over when I installed them on my 1st gen. I used them as additional lighting on the 1st gens as there wasn't enough light for my liking. It will impact the charging system a bit, but nothing drastic unless you have tons of extras added on. I always had the ones I installed on a separate fuse with a direst connection to the battery and a relay installed.

I used a relay and separate fuse as well . but I used power from the high beam to control the positive side of the relay so they would go off and on with my high beams and rather then run the negative side directly to ground ,I placed a separate switch on the relay ground wire . This way by switching the ground off and on I can turn them off independently of the high beams if need be

I used a relay and separate fuse as well . but I used power from the high beam to control the positive side of the relay so they would go off and on with my high beams and rather then run the negative side directly to ground ,I placed a separate switch on the relay ground wire . This way by switching the ground off and on I can turn them off independently of the high beams if need be

That a good idea also, I have a set of lights on my '08 right now that have H4 bulbs in them. This meaning that they are low/high beams and I have them hooked up to the headlight so all 3 are switched low or high with the handlebar switch. I always run my driving lights on when I'm riding, day or night. I'm all about being seen and more lights up front is better

:thumbsup2:

Those lights really light up the road at night and are very visible during daylight as well. Well worth the money spent IMHO. I mounted mine on the upper crash bars of my Venture for a good "triangle" of light pattern in conjunction with the headlight.

I also bought an extra set as a backup.

If the Company offered those lights chromed they would fly off the shelves.

Boomer.......who can light up the night with the best of them now.

Hey boomer,

Tey do offer a set of theirlights in chrome. Just a little smalller in size. They still have the 55 watt bulbs in them also.

David

I have a set of the small chrome ones that Squidley picked up for me last year. I replaced the 55 watt bulbs with 35 watt bulbs that I picked up at Lowes. I'm very impressed with the light they put out as well as how they look. Can't beat the price either. When I wired them I didn't put in a relay (mistake) and forgot to turn them off a few times. The first time they were on while we were parked in Niagara Falls for over an hour and the scoot still started fine. I'm in the process of installing a relay so that won't happen again. The switch that came with it I didn't particularly like so I purchased a switch from a boating place that is completely water tight. It looks like it was suppose to be there.

Wayne

Hey boomer,

Tey do offer a set of theirlights in chrome. Just a little smalller in size. They still have the 55 watt bulbs in them also.

David

I saw them and passed on em....I like the larger ones as they seem to look much better on the scoot.

Boomer.....still lighting up the night.

I used those on my pickup. Both lenses cracked for some reason. Don't know if it was rocks of getting hot and water hitting them. But they are cheap enough to replace once a year.

+1. In the Kawasaki Forum, some owners complained of the lens falling off after a few miles of riding. Most of the time, you get what you paid for.

I mounted a pair of the chrome ones on the crash bars. Had one burn out during the fall so replaced both with the 35 watt bulbs, which I got from Home Depot. The reduced wattage still lights up the road good and being less drain on the bike electical system is good. Especialy if you have on the Yamaha passing lamps.

To reduce risk of losing the retaining rings I drilled a small hole on the edge and put in a stainless steel screw.

Larry

+1. In the Kawasaki Forum, some owners complained of the lens falling off after a few miles of riding. Most of the time, you get what you paid for.

I drilled mine at the dimple and added a screw. I also yanked the bulbs and replaced them with LED lamps. dont light up the road, but they are very bright to oncoming cars. That's what I was after. a very bright marker light.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MR11-15-LED-White-12-V-Holagen-Replacement-Light-Bulb_W0QQitemZ110351412829QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110351412829&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

These have all glass construction like the regular bulbs but draw 3 watts each when on and are blinding to look at but will not light up any road.

• 1 month later...

That a good idea also, I have a set of lights on my '08 right now that have H4 bulbs in them. This meaning that they are low/high beams and I have them hooked up to the headlight so all 3 are switched low or high with the handlebar switch. I always run my driving lights on when I'm riding, day or night. I'm all about being seen and more lights up front is better

:thumbsup2:

OK....I joined the forum just so I could ask this question! (I'm an AdvRider kinda guy)

I want to add a set of driving lights w/ H4 dual filament bulbs as Squidley describes. Can someone explain how...using little words...

Thanks!!!!

I don't know about those lights. I just ordered a pair of these after a friend of mine installed them on his bike. THESE THINGS ARE BRIGHT - and look good as well. Maybe a little pricey - but if you want some light at night, these should do the trick.

http://trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html

The rumor is that Trail Tech also makes these things for PIAA (which doubles the price!) Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

HID someday, but today I'm looking for Wally World specials...