IGNORED

1st or 2nd generation ?

Batman47

Hi, Im new to the this site. And have seen the terms 1st gen and 2nd gen. What are the years for them. I just bought an 88 Venture Royale that has been made into a trike, Im getting older and it harder to hold me and the wife up, so figured I would go to 3 wheels when we ride together. Still ride 2 wheels when Im alone. Took the bike in and the mechanic said it needed new carb boots and he is having trouble finding them.Does anyone know where I can find them.

Thanks Ron:thumbsup2:

go over the the left side of your screen in the Main Menu area and click on Venture History. The 1st generation Venture is usually considered to be build from 83-93 even though there are two different configurations and engine size within that time period. The 2nd generations...(the old farts bike) was built from 1999 to present day. All you need to know is you bought the better bike...even though its triked...now join in the fun.

Finding parts for a 1st Gen is easy....search under "Antique Motorcycles"......:crackup:

Now when yer scooting along the highway on that 2 wheeled washing machine and being passed by nerds driving MoPeds think about getting a real motorcycle such as the 2nd Gen surely is.:thumbsup2:

Boomer.......who loves showing his tailpipes to the 1st Gens.:rasberry:

:canada::canada::canada:The reason they are known as the 1st Gens is they didn't come in "second", They are F I R S T in whatever you want to compare it with!!!:rotf::rotf::rotf: :canada::canada::canada:

YEP!!

Boots or diaphragms for the carbs can be found. Little costly but ones can still be had from Dealer. Watch E-Bay or do search on here for ways to patch.

And watch out for those 2nd gens blocking traffic.

• 2 years later...

Here's a question for ya's. What are the biggest differences between the two? Style certainly but I mean do folks that ride a 1st generation eventually move on to a 2nd generation?? Or are they so different one would not even know they were related if only by name? I have a 1st generation and I luv it but she's getting older and needing lots of work and I'm not really interested in becoming a mechanic and not too many shops want to work on her anymore. I'm thinking about a 2nd generation but have never ridden one yet and gotta say I like the looks except for the dash. I can ignore the dash if all else is good so just wondering what folks that have ridden both think of the differrences.

Bob:stirthepot:

basically thedifference is the G1 is more like a sports tourer and the G2 is more like a harley cruiser-tourer. The g2 is feet forward and a typical cruiser bike. Both bikes use essentially the same drivetrain, its just the configuration of the bike around the engine thats so different.

Brian

It's actually the drivetrain and MPG I really like about this bike as compared to some of the bigger cruisers. My plastic parts are pretty much taped and zip tied together any more and I'm sure it's time to do some more serious engine work. I still constantly get compliments on the G1 but got to say it's not in that good of shape...lol. Do the G2's handle same or better? Power and gearing about the same? MPG's still over 40? Sit lower? One of these days is right..lol:backinmyday:

A month ago a couple of friends and I went on a 8 hour ride each wat to Drumheller Alberta. I had my 85, gordo from here was on his 2000 MM and Reg was on his new Harlet Ultra. I had to stop earliest for fuel as my tank was smallest but Gordo and I were within a few pennies on every fill. BUT the Harley killed us on mileage, I didnt get Reg's mileage but it was substantially better than either Gordo or I.

Brian

Guest scarylarry
A month ago a couple of friends and I went on a 8 hour ride each wat to Drumheller Alberta. I had my 85, gordo from here was on his 2000 MM and Reg was on his new Harlet Ultra. I had to stop earliest for fuel as my tank was smallest but Gordo and I were within a few pennies on every fill. BUT the Harley killed us on mileage, I didnt get Reg's mileage but it was substantially better than either Gordo or I.

Brian

You would figure the HD would have to stop sooner, from what I know the tanks ona HD is smaller..

When I had my Y2k Roadking I found it would get 42 mpg NO MATTER HOW I drove it. Tried to ride easy to get more. Rode it hard to get less. 42 mpg... Darndest thing. My RSV can get 42 at its highest, 40 is more normal for me. Less on high speed Hwy. My 1st gen struggles to hit 40, 37 is normal.

If your mechanic is saying you need carb boots because the ones you have now are showing signs of cracking, he may not speak Venture very well... :) The boots all show signs of cracking, but the cracks don't go all the way thru and cause a vacuum leak. There is a steel sleave in the boot wall. It's a little disconcerting, but I have never heard of one leaking...

Actually, where the carb boots leak is at the base when the rubber band "O" rings start to deteriorate. Jack is right, the boots themselves rarely leak.

I went from 1st gen to 2nd gen myself so I can honestly speak of the differences. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Overall I liked my 1st gen better but I also certainly do not dislike my 2nd gen in any way. The 1st gen had better throttle response, was a lot more maneuverable, and wasn't so easy to drop at a stop. The 2nd gen has a lot better riding position and doesn't need as much mechanical attention being new.

As far as the dash goes, well, thing 1957 Ford because that's what it rreminds me of! One of the things I don't like about the fork mounted fairing vs the fixed frame mounted fairing is the fact the mirrors move when you are turning. I almost got sideswiped doing a U turn down in Arkansas from this. Luckily I did the proper thing and looked over my shoulder first as I was starting the turn and saw the car. We ended up dropping the bike anyway when I stopped as the road was crowned and I had turned the wheel back towards the shoulder.

This brings about one of the 2nd gen flaws, it's top heavy. You do not want to stop or start without the wheel being straight ahead. Low speed maneuvers can be very tricky to say the least. Of course to be fair there are lowering kits that improve this but the real problem is the higher center of gravity. On a plus note though, they are not as tall as the 1st gen's but they are a wide bike at the saddle. Rick Buttler can modify the seat though to help alleviate this condition.

I wouldn't hesitate to replace your 1st gen with a 2nd gen but if you get a chance swing a leg over one and take it for a good ride first to see how you feel about it. If you ride 2 up a lot you may find your navigator will find the 2nd gen more comfortable, but there are a couple of mods to do. The trunk can be moved back, add armrests, and a set of passenger highway pegs. Take a towel or something and put it in the space between the seat and the trunk.

Interesting comments! I bought a 2000 RSV last month and have put a little over 3,000 km (1,900 mi.) on it since then. I found that it felt less top heavy than my '87 Royale and feels lighter coming off the side stand. That said, the PO of the RSV had installed a 1 1/2 in. lowering kit, so that would make a bit of difference as well. The Royale had more ground clearance but acceleration feels about the same for both, although that's strictly a "seat of the pants" impression. According to my old (and even older) bike mags, an '86 Royale turned the quarter at 102 mph while a '99 RSV did it at around 98 mph. At the end of the day, either bike will leave 90% of the cages out there in the dust...they can't hit you if they can't catch you!

My best advice? Look at it, sit on it and ride it if you can. Whichever one puts the biggest smile on your face is the one you want!

Andy

Wow guys..very helpful info you are providing. I looked at a G2 once but it had evidently been lowered and I didn;t even like that particular one enough to sit on it. I'm 6'5" and I actually like the height of the G1 altho as I get older it is getting harder to lift my leg over to get on and off. I get 39-41 MPG routinely on my commute to work and back thru the hills of KY but mostly hwy. 130 miles round trip and I always take a scenic route on the way home. I also have a 2001 Connie that gets a bit better mileage but isn't nearly as comfy. I am considering selling both current bikes and getting something that needs less upkeep. Like the 1800 Goldwing but not enough MPG...I have a cage that gets 35 MPG. Really like the looks of the G2 and have the familiarity with the drivetrain..so it's gonna get first dibbs I think. Really appreciate the feedback so far. It's hard to find a G2 to test drive or even sit on around here.:confused24:

Bob

A mpg problem with the Goldwing? The published figures I've seen give it about the same mileage as the RSV or better. Went on a near 300 mile all day ride with the local Goldwing club yesterday and we took about the same amount of gas at our stops and seemed to be getting about the same mileage.

Andy