IGNORED

Sears Motorcycle/ATV Jack

Hey all, Just ordered a Carbon_one free standing lift adapter and was intrested in knowing which Sears jack best works with the adapter. I had the red lift several years ago and it seemd to work well for the short time I had it. Have been reading the reviews lately on Sears web site and the red lift dosen't seem to be very popular in ratings. Just wanted to know how others feel about this and out of the two is the red or yellow lift better with Carbon_one lift adapter and supporting our heavy bikes?

Thanks,

Dennis

My wife works at Sears and i get the sears employee discount.

I do not like any hydraulic powered product sears makes.

From day one the atv lift would pump up just fine, but it would take hours for the lift to go down. I changed the oil, went to a lighter oil, and finally removed the release valve from the unit alltogether and plugged the hole with a plug. Now I can pump up the lift and then it will hold long enough to put the mechanical lock in place. When i want to let the bike down I pump it a few times and release the mechanical lock and it lets the bike down slowly.

They both work fine, just not what I'd expect. I'd really encourage you to look elsewhere.

I like Sears mechanical tools just fine, but that's probably because they are still using the same forging dies that they developed in the 60's.

Just wanted to know how others feel about this and out of the two is the red or yellow lift better with Carbon_one lift adapter and supporting our heavy bikes?

Thanks,

Dennis

CDN Tire sells similar jacks, the yellow one you posted, is a heavier duty jack & much more stable. Not sure if it will fit the legged model of Carbon1's lift adapter though, with the front wheel spacing. If the yellow one is the same as my CDN Tire one, it can only be locked in one position, but it is very solid. I normally strap the scoot to the lift, have not been able to tip the scoot, front or back (unlike one similar to the red one you posted)...........

Can't tell you anything about the red one as I've only got the yellow. I bought it because it seems to be higher quality & it works well for me. I also have Carbon_One's lift adapter (no legs) & it's great. Just don't forget to remove it after you're done with your work. Uh, yes, you guessed it. I forgot one time & when I took a right turn I suddenly was reminded it was still on the bike (scraping noise was the clue). It released itself & got a little scratched & the rod got a little bent, but no actual damage. Haven't forgotten again (yet). Doh!

SilvrT,

Here is the web site for sears. When looking for the jacks you have to type in "Motorcycle/ATV Lifts" in the search box. I too typed in jacks and got nothing at first. This link takes you directly to the page that has all three that Sears sells.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=motorcycle%2Fatv+lifts

Hope this helps!!

Dennis

SilvrT,

Here is the web site for sears. When looking for the jacks you have to type in "Motorcycle/ATV Lifts" in the search box. I too typed in jacks and got nothing at first. This link takes you directly to the page that has all three that Sears sells.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=motorcycle%2Fatv+lifts

Hope this helps!!

Dennis

Thanks Dennis... but I believe that's a US site... the Canadian site doesn't show them (at least I haven't found them). Pls correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm right, those prices being in US currency just don't compete with other outlets such as Canadian Tire up here for essentially the same product. We're at close to 20 cents on the dollar exchange rate so, $120 jack would cost me $144 (plus or minus) and shipping.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry SilvrT, I didn't look to see where you were from. I typed in "Sears Canada" and like you said there were none of this type!!

Our Sears here in the U.S. has a sale on them tommrow and I just didn't know if one was more reliable than the other. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I had the red lift several years ago for my Silverado and it was good and had no problems. Today as I was looking at the two I noticed that the red lift had bad reviews compaired to the yellow lift.

Dennis

While I have heard of some folks having problems with their Sears branded jacks (the red ones) I myself have used mine extensively for the last 8 years without any problems whatever. First using it with my Suzuki which weighed about 650 lbs and then the Venture at 850 lbs. Since last year I've used it on the trike which weighs in at 1260 lbs.

Sears like many stores simply buy products from a manufacturer and simply slap their nametag onto the item in question. I feel this is especialy true with these style of mc/atv lifts. Are there better quality jacks? Of course but I do feel you get a quality product for the money.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

Silver T.

I have one of the Cdn Tire jacks...looks like the Sears red one....that I bought at the end of 07. This year I've had trouble with the hyd jack, got the bike up so far...not to the limit...and it quit pumping, like it was out of fluid, I messed around with it but it still won't pump. Once I get the bike off it I'll see about removing the jack and getting it checked out.

Ian

Silver T.

I have one of the Cdn Tire jacks...looks like the Sears red one....that I bought at the end of 07. This year I've had trouble with the hyd jack, got the bike up so far...not to the limit...and it quit pumping, like it was out of fluid, I messed around with it but it still won't pump. Once I get the bike off it I'll see about removing the jack and getting it checked out.

Ian

heh... makes me think of a jack I was looking at in Princess Auto... it was a display unit...there was oil all around the base of the hydraulics... lol ..sure makes for a godd "selling job"! haha

Wonder why nobody makes a good screw jack for the bikes. My jack that comes with my truck is one of the best screw jacks I've seen...so easy to use and has no problem lifting the whole front end of the truck off the ground. hmmmm...wonder if I can modify it for the scoot?????

" Wonder why nobody makes a good screw jack for the bikes. My jack that comes with my truck is one of the best screw jacks I've seen...so easy to use and has no problem lifting the whole front end of the truck off the ground. hmmmm...wonder if I can modify it for the scoot????? "

Now that's a neat thought. And if you didn't want to use the truck's jack the auto salvage yards always have em laying around. I've even considered getting some type of air assisted jack for myself.

Larry

I was wonder if I would still be able to

use my jack after the converting is done.

Are you able to place it in the same spot or

does it go back more toward the rear?

No you won't be able to use the lift adapter after triking the bike. Reason being is the center of gravity will have shifted rearward and thus the current adapter will be too short. On my trike that center balancing point has shifted about a foot.

Fear not thou as I have built a longer verision that attaches in the same manner as previous models. Drop me an e-mail and we'll go over the details further.

Larry

• 3 months later...

I have a Sears red type MC jack I bought used on ebay about 6 years ago and haven't used since I bought it. It needed a lots of squirts of light oil, but along with my new Carbon-One adapter, worked fine on my RSTD.

I also have the yellow Sears jack and use it with the CarbonOne adapter with legs. Have used it for 3 seasons without any problems at all. Very solid.

Have also used it to jack up my lawn tractor with no problems. Great product and worth the extra $$.

RR