IGNORED

Bluetooth Wireless set/communications

thecount

I can't tell you much, since I don't use it myself, but be careful to check the specs on whatever you are considering. I love the Nolan N102 helmets with the headset part integrated in, but I use the wired headset. Nolan DOES sell a blue tooth option for that helmet, but I know the original version was only mono sound. I have no idea if they have updated that or not. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Can anyone offer advise or experience with Bluetooth technology and helmet communication sets?

Looking into a way/means to not be wired to the bike and bluetooth looks to be the way to accomplish this.

Thanks for any feedback (no punn!)

Hey Count,

Last season My Wife and I picked up a set of Scala rider Q2 series blue tooth head sets. All I can Say is Wow! These things are something. Some of the features are as follows, You are able to talk to up to three other riders with same set up, The blue tooth for cell , is 3way calling capable. Crystal clear fm stereo.

While using the cell, the person I was having the conversation with, in every instance was unable to tell that I was on the bike even at 75 mph!!!

Intercom feature, My wife on her bike and me on mine, we were able to separate up to one mile and could still hear each other without any interfearance, not that this ever happens, just wanted to see.

Downside, The price at first we thougt was a little high at 229 per helmet, until we used them. I would highly reccomend these to anyone.

Oh I almost forgot the batteries on these things last 9 hours while in use and 15 hours on stand by.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Best regards. Kurt

Hey Count,

Last season My Wife and I picked up a set of Scala rider Q2 series blue tooth head sets. All I can Say is Wow! These things are something. Some of the features are as follows, You are able to talk to up to three other riders with same set up, The blue tooth for cell , is 3way calling capable. Crystal clear fm stereo.

While using the cell, the person I was having the conversation with, in every instance was unable to tell that I was on the bike even at 75 mph!!!

Intercom feature, My wife on her bike and me on mine, we were able to separate up to one mile and could still hear each other without any interfearance, not that this ever happens, just wanted to see.

Downside, The price at first we thougt was a little high at 229 per helmet, until we used them. I would highly reccomend these to anyone.

Oh I almost forgot the batteries on these things last 9 hours while in use and 15 hours on stand by.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Best regards. Kurt

+1

This set-up is great. When on the bike & on the phone with my wife, she says she hears absolutely nothing but my voice. Superb sound as intercom, as well

. The price has dropped since we purchased. I believe you can now get it for less than $250 total for 2 bikes.

the only problem I can see with this set up is the fact that you have to use either a full or tree quarter helmet. At least as far as I can see. No problem for me but my wife would hate it as she only uses a shorty when she rides. She tried my full face and like the fact that she was warmer, but hated the blindspot effect and the fact that it made her feel like she was trapped and couldn't breath with it on.

If anyone finds a set up for a shorty please post it . I'll be watching as time goes by.

Thanks

David

Can anyone offer advise or experience with Bluetooth technology and helmet communication sets?

Looking into a way/means to not be wired to the bike and bluetooth looks to be the way to accomplish this.

Thanks for any feedback (no punn!)

Hiya Count. Here is my advice. I have been running the cellularline interphone bluetooth module on my helmet for about a full season now. It is amazing. I wear a modular helmet (symax) and I love it. My set up is this, celluarline bluetooth unit, zumo 550, and blackberry. Now here is how it works for me. The interphone connects direct to my zumo, and my blackberry connects to my zumo as well. When navigating, the zumo gives me voice commands via the headset, when a phonecall comes in, the display on the zumo switches, and shows me who is calling, and either by touching the screen, or simply speaking, my call is connected. I can also use the zumo to dial calls, direct, or from my address book. The safest way to make outgoing calls while riding is simply to use the voice dial. Another great feature is the ability to connect to another interphone system, via bluetooth, for direct bike to bike communications. I have a friend who also has the same unit (we bought them together) and they work great within about 500 meters. It is a true duplex setting, so communication in both directions simultaneously is possible. Also, you can remotely turn on either unit, from the other. What I mean by that, is when you are communicating, that is the highest drain on the batteries, when there is no chat going on, switch unit to standby, automatically sends other unit to standby as well. When you want to chat again, you press the activate button on your unit, and it brings your partners back as well. Now, in no way does this mean that you have to get a zumo GPS, although it is a fantastic unit. You can hook up your cell phone direct to the headset as well. Here is a link to the site I got my bluetooth headset from. Good luck!!

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?cPath=403_404&products_id=4303

Sonny

Thanks all for your input and comments.

With the electronic world advancing, I think Bluetooth or wireless is the way to go, but how do you get the most out of your bike and communications systems.

Email to J&M Communications since they have a Bluetooth duplex system, and also a plug in connect to the bike system , called a dongle. It is only compatiable currently for Goldwing GL1800, either driver connection or passenger connection.

So, to complicate the matter, I have installed J&M Slide in Headset for shorty helmets late last season. Great addition.

I am trying to see if there is a way/means to wire-up the Short headsets with their bluetooth helmet unit, and then, figure out the wiring pattern for the dongle unit to patch into the Venture 5 pin DIN plug. The Dongle would then plug into the drivers connection on the tank, and be housed in a tank pouch or tank bib with pouch.

Freebird, by doing this route for use of the units, it would be my thoughts that the CB would also then work, any AUX audio device connected to the bike, and any other bluetooth device like Cell/Blackberry/GPS.

Seeing the convenience of Bluetooth and it's capablities, I see some real opportunities to make all our lives easier while riding. Hope they do to, and respond with some additional info I asked for.

Thanks all.

Edited by thecount
update

Talk to buddy rich. I think he makes a cable to hook up 2nd gens to a gps unit through the intercom setup. This would give you the cb,radio, and the ability to answer yopur phone thropugh the bluetooth capabilities on the gps.

Just a thought ,not sure if that is what you want.

David

To each his own, I guess, .....I have the standard RSV system , satellite radio, Zumo 550 and Buddy Rich cable . Everything works OK but the weakest link is the Blue Tooth...Miserable system, works only50% of the time, echoes , noises, disconnects....Just good enough to know you had a phone call and sometimes even to let someone know that you heard them! And it's not just on the bike, same thing in the cars. And it isn't my phones or just on my unit. All of my friends who use it have the same problems.

Perhaps it's the price of living in a large metropolitan area and maybe it works better out in the open country with little interference, but in a big city, it's crap!:(

I would never want to depend on it for either communications or music:2cents:

While I can see the convenience of not having wires, I don't like the idea of something else that I have to charge every night when I'm on a trip. First of all, there are MANY times that we ride for longer than 9 hours so I fear that the bluetooth would be dead before the end of the day. I like wireless for a lot of things but am not ready to go wireless on my motorcycle headsets.

I too have the Zumo 550 with Buddy's cable for my phone. Haven't got to test it all yet due to being a bit snowed in but I think it's the right solution for me.

To each his own, I guess, .....I have the standard RSV system , satellite radio, Zumo 550 and Buddy Rich cable . Everything works OK but the weakest link is the Blue Tooth...Miserable system, works only50% of the time, echoes , noises, disconnects....Just good enough to know you had a phone call and sometimes even to let someone know that you heard them! And it's not just on the bike, same thing in the cars. And it isn't my phones or just on my unit. All of my friends who use it have the same problems.

Perhaps it's the price of living in a large metropolitan area and maybe it works better out in the open country with little interference, but in a big city, it's crap!:(

I would never want to depend on it for either communications or music:2cents:

I had a similar problem. Connecting 50% of the time and dropping the connection. I found that if I put my phone on my belt it will not stay connected long and keep cutting off. I have started placing it in my breast pocket and...bingo...no more disconnect.

Not sure if it is only my phone or if others may get similar results by placing the phone in a more direct line with the Zumo but worth a try.

I have only started doing this late last fall and never had a disconnect in the last few rides I was able to sqeeze in. Spring is coming and with that.....more testing.

I had a similar problem. Connecting 50% of the time and dropping the connection. I found that if I put my phone on my belt it will not stay connected long and keep cutting off. I have started placing it in my breast pocket and...bingo...no more disconnect.

Not sure if it is only my phone or if others may get similar results by placing the phone in a more direct line with the Zumo but worth a try.

I have only started doing this late last fall and never had a disconnect in the last few rides I was able to sqeeze in. Spring is coming and with that.....more testing.

Yeah, I tried that too and even though disconnects are reduced, the echoes, fades and mutes are not. Overall,....still crap. Wouldn't want to depend on it!

Had the same issue with Mechanic's cell phone and zumo.

Come to find out, phone was using to old of software, we upgraded, no issues with drops anymore.

Nah...Old phone and brand new phone - old software and latest software. Mine and everyone around here. Same thing on all fronts, echoes crackles blankouts. Not a system for listening to music or intercom....Maybe in a few years.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, since I started this thread, I'm still trying to figure out this bluetooth and wireless stuff. And more importantly, fit to shorty style helmets?

Has anyone had success in this? J&M (very costly) Scala Rider (not sure if they fit).

Would like to eliminate the wiring into the bike if possible.

Thanks for any comment or in-sight you might provide. :fingers-crossed-emo

I just purchased the Scala Rider set last week, and I thought it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever used. Sound quality if talking only was just OK, if music was coming in from my Zumo 550..the sound quality was terrible. The unit would go off into standby, while we were having a conversation, and I had to yell my brains out for the unit to turn back on. I'm staying wired in with my J&M's. My two cents worth.

I just purchased the Scala Rider set last week, and I thought it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever used. Sound quality if talking only was just OK, if music was coming in from my Zumo 550..the sound quality was terrible. The unit would go off into standby, while we were having a conversation, and I had to yell my brains out for the unit to turn back on. I'm staying wired in with my J&M's. My two cents worth.

Thanks for the insight. I do think the J&M wired has very good clarity, even with wind noise through the shorty helments.

I may try the BigEar adaptor for the plug so I can use the high end ear buds I have to see if it make an improvement.

Steve

I gotta hand it to youse guys. When riding I can't handle that many distractions. Having audio as well as visual input is more than my p--brain can process. I'm to busy watching for potential problems, traffic, and eschewing up the scenery. The CB is about the only thing that I miss on the '83 and what I listen to on the '91. Trying to figure out what button to push or what I need to do to is TMI. For me, holding a conversation on a cell is asking for trouble. Little finger down.... gotta pee. Slap the tank... need gas. The KISS formula.... :)

I've got a Scala Rider teamset (rider and passenger intercom) that also handles bluetooth for the phone. Pretty satisified with it (at least enough not to spring for the high $$ headsets to use the wired intercom that comes with the bike:301:)

I use the Nolan n42 BT system paired to my ham radio and with a cable that Nolan supplied (I think they said it was a gold wing cable (5pin)) I can use the intercom and the CB.

Works well, the batteries last about 12 hours but then you have to remember to charge the helmet or you're screwed the next day!

Audio quality is great for voice, I don't like the music through the headset speakers. when I have paired the helmet to my blackberry I get very good reports of the call quality.

the only problem I can see with this set up is the fact that you have to use either a full or tree quarter helmet. At least as far as I can see. No problem for me but my wife would hate it as she only uses a shorty when she rides. She tried my full face and like the fact that she was warmer, but hated the blindspot effect and the fact that it made her feel like she was trapped and couldn't breath with it on.

If anyone finds a set up for a shorty please post it . I'll be watching as time goes by.

Thanks

David

I have the scala rider as well and i use it with a half helmit. the velcro back speakers stick nicely to the helmit liner and have them just ahead of my ear and just up from the edge of the helmit and can hear them perfectly, I actually have to turn the volume down a bit.