IGNORED

What's the weirdest thing you've ever....

Iowawegian

Even my kids are into exotic foods.

My #3 son and daughter were in the same French class and asked me to bring in escargot. The whole class had at least one, son and daughter had several (we fix it at home). Not much other than a texture to carry garlic butter.

Wife and kids (all 4) love sushi - either home made or at the Japanese place.

Sons #1 and #3 really enjoy organ meat. Stuffed beef heart or beef tongue are a favorite. They both will order liver and onions when we eat out.

Before I remarried (and picked up son #2 and daughter), sons #1 and #3 and I would have Friday night "Man's Night". This generally involved shooting bow, bowling, movies, or some activity along with wierd food. We had, in addition to the above delicacies, bear, moose, buffalo, elk, ostrich, frog legs, squid, octopus, jellyfish, shark, eel, crawfish, venison, rabbit, squirrel, goose, duck, etc.

Have also eaten at one time or another, opposum, raccoon, alligator, earthworms (there is a professor at Purdue that published an Earthworm Cookbook), pig's head, fish head, rocky mountain oysters (cooked and ate), kidney, calf brains, stomach (menudo - yum!), intestines (chitlins - yeach!!), and pickled pigs feet. I'm sure there are some critters that have been left out.

My grandmother would kill and cook anything that would walk, crawl, fly, or swim. We had to eat it and eventually grew to enjoy the variety. I have tried very hard to instill the same sense of adventure and appreciation in my kids.

Wierd foods are fun. It's amazing what you can find at a good Chinese grocery store.

RR

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IM WAITING FOR THE WIERD STUFF TO BE MENTIONED..SO FAR YOU GUYS JUST MADE ME HUNGRY...HAD MOST OF ALL MENTIONED..I SAY MOST...THE COUPLE I HAVN'T ,I SURE WOULD LIKE TO TRY..GUESS I'M WIERD WHEN IT COMES TO THIS STUFF..I'LL TRY ANYTHING ONCE...ITS ALL GOOD TO ME...:thumbsup:

I have eaten raw horse meat, sheep's brains with garlic cooked in olive oil, and lots of "monkey meat on a stick"

Jelly Fish was kinda flavorless.

Fresh water eel is good!!!!!!!

And many things that I could not identify, durring my 20 years in the US Navy.....

However I have never eaten a balut. Search the Internet for this taste treat!!!!

I honestly don't know what all I've eaten. All the usual things in the USA including rattlesnake, possum, squirrel brains, alligator, crawdad, etc.

China: Snake Soup

Hong Kong: Roast Pigeon

Thailand: soup with fish guts, chicken intestines, who knows what else. Chicken feet off a road side stand. Many things that I just stopped asking what it was.

In China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Mexico and a few other places, I finally just decided that it was sometimes best to stop asking and just go along with the locals. :)

Boy Debbie,

As you can see from the replies, with this crew you should really define what you mean by "wierdest".

As for myself, I have one hard fast rule when it comes to food. I'll eat anything that don't eat me first. Used to say I would never eat anything I couldn't identify. However, after spending a couple of days at a Marine Fire base in 'Nam, I had to forsake that position or go hungry. Hot or cold, a jarhead will eat anything that lands in his mess tin. And they ain't too particular if it is even cooked.:rotfl: :stirthepot:

Without pictures is not fun.

Octopus grilled, boiled and as cold salad!

http://i43.tinypic.com/2cng34.jpg

Sicilian small snails (babbaluci).

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ihuyy8.jpg

Sea urchins.

http://i39.tinypic.com/zuh2yg.jpg[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Kkb3Gfaqg]YouTube - Eating Live Sea Urchin (Uni)[/ame]

and other sea creatures who's name in English I do not know.

Edited by Ferrantelli

OK I REMEMBERED THE WORST THING I'VE EVER EATEN..PIZZA FROM CINCINATTI...COULDN'T TELL IF IT WAS PIZZA OR THE BOX I WAS EATING...HEY, I'M BROM BUFFALO..YOU KNOW ..HOME OF THE CHICKEN WING..ANCHOR BAR..BEST PIZZA IN THE COUNTRY...:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

swallowed a bug while rideing cant identify it tasted ok after it stopped fighting :)

While in Japan last year on business the hotel I stayed at served me a traditional Japanese breakfast that had with it a pickled sweet fish. They served the whole fish, head and all, pickled. They come from the river that ran right past the hotel in Tochigi-ken, Japan. I just watched to see what my Japanese host did. He picked it up with his chop sticks and ate it head first. I did the same. Washed it down with some green tea and went on to the fruit and rice. Life is good.

Well like a couple of people have said, "There ain't much on this menu I haven't eaten".

My wife and I lived to north Africa for two years and we made it point to eat with the local people as much as possible. Lot of things I couldn't identify and probably some I might not wanted to know about.

I grew up in a family when they butchered a pig, we ate everything except the squeal. No parts of any animal was wasted.

I too order liver and onions when out because my wife won't cook it for me. And oh yeah, cow's tongue, nothing better cold with lots of mayonnaise.

Nice thread,

Jerry

Thailand Warrior's Festival

Cobra skin salad, some type of Cobra meat dish with those thermonuclear peppers and peanuts.

Washed down with Cobra (Still full of venom) venom sacks in some type of clear Liquor.

Swig that down and it's a quick trip around the planet leaving you sitting panting for a moment then....

Please Sir May I Have Some More!!!!

I've also eaten Fugu

Well, I came back in this morning and couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I was brave eating the ostrich......

I gotta give all of you credit. You have tried things I never would have thought were even edible and some I've never heard of. Couldn't stand looking at the pictures so I didn't even dare watch the video. My stomach's rolling as I read the posts.

I think I'll just stick to a good medium rare steak cooked on the grill. Thanks for sharing. I've broadened my horizons thanks to all of you! Now if my stomach would just settle down!:smilies6::smilies6: