IGNORED

MP3 Player

Bubber

What MP3 player can I get that plugs directly into the radio and work well?

What kind do you have and how does it work?

Good things you like?

Bad things you don't like.

Kids want to get me something for Christmas and that is all I can think of.

Steve

Bubber

I too have an 06 Midnight and have a Sansa MP3. It will plug into the aux port and works great. It is only a 1 gig, but now they have a 4 gig for only $49. It works great especially in areas that radio reception is not good. the added benefit is that you only have to listen to the songs that you wish.:Venture:

Bubber

I too have an 06 Midnight and have a Sansa MP3. It will plug into the aux port and works great. It is only a 1 gig, but now they have a 4 gig for only $49. It works great especially in areas that radio reception is not good. the added benefit is that you only have to listen to the songs that you wish.:Venture:

First I am electronically challanged So let me ask. Does the sound come out of the speakers on the bike VS ear buds?

I havn't got a clue so I ask the questions in hopes I will get smarter. LOL:banana:

Steve

Bubber,

It will come out where you tell it to. I pipe mine into the headsets. Most any mp3 player will work. You will have to get a double male cord with 1/8 in plugs on it. Put one end into the system right by the cassett player and the other into the player. Turn the system on aux and rock out!! LOL You will like it. I promise.

You could kill 2 birds with one rock and buy you a GPS with a player built in.

I have a Sansa clip, 4gig and it works well on the bike. I like this one because even with gloves on it is easy to change songs. As mentioned before you will need the cord with male plugs on both ends to hook it into the cassette player (easliy available at radio shack for a couple of bucks). Samsung, sandisk, and Ipod make good players, stay away from the 'cheaper' brands and you will find a good one.

Be careful about relying on the mp3 function of a gps unit. When I got my GPS I got one that had an mp3 player, but quickly found out that I can use it as a gps OR a mp3 player. Not a big deal really because I already had a mp3 player and wasn't relying on the gps for music, but it sure would have been nice to consolidate.

Bubber,

It will come out where you tell it to. I pipe mine into the headsets. Most any mp3 player will work. You will have to get a double male cord with 1/8 in plugs on it. Put one end into the system right by the cassett player and the other into the player. Turn the system on aux and rock out!! LOL You will like it. I promise.

You could kill 2 birds with one rock and buy you a GPS with a player built in.

Thanks for helping the electronically handicaped. LOL :banana: :banana: :banana::banana::banana:

Like mentioned the double cord and an mp3 is all you need. I would say to find a shorter cord if possible. Mine is 6' and I have it looped and it sets around the gas cap.

I have an Ipod shuffle which is about the size of a matchbox. I velcro it on my tank and can flip though songs as desired.

I really like being able to drive down the road to nothing but songs you enjoy:smile5:

A bit of info concerning the Ipod's........None of them are weather proof and this includes cold temps.

I recently bought the Ipod Shuffle. Holds 250 songs. Cost vary but I got mine from Amazon.com for less than $50....It has a pocket clip which allows you to keep the unit inside your jacket where it is protected from the elements and cold temps. The Ipod Shuffle will also go up to 18-20 hours between recharges which is a lot better than the standard sized Ipod.

The double-male connector can be bought at Radio Shack in different lengths to accommodate any set-up on the bike which you decide to do.

Ride on and Boogie with tunes.........:680:

Bearing in mind that IPod limits you to I-Tunes only!!!

Nonsense, Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. You want to put an MP3 song onto an iPod or rip a song from a CD onto an iPod -- so do it. iPods are not limited to the iTunes store. The iTunes software -- a free download -- provides a convenient way to manage a music library, to transfer music to iPods and to burn music files to CDs (among other things that the software does). The music files can come from anywhere, in a variety of formats.

The iTunes Store sells music files that are encoded in formats that can only be used in iPods, and that have limitations on how they can be copied, in accordance with the demands of the music companies that own the licensing rights to the music.

iPods are not limited to music from the iTunes store. The free iTunes software is the easiest way to load iPods with music, podcasts, etc. that have been obtained from anywhere.

A bit of info concerning the Ipod's........None of them are weather proof and this includes cold temps.

I can confirm that! I have an iPod Classic -- one of the bigger kind with a hard disk in it. It makes me laugh when I am riding to work and, part of the way there, the iPod stops. Then I think, "It's too cold for the iPod to keep running, but I am still out here!"

This has happened about ten miles into my ride to work, when it temps have been below the teens (like 12*F). It makes me feel like I should be getting myself inside if my electronic devices have frozen!

I know a whole bunch of guys have put their input here about the MP3 players.

Many were talking about IPOD's. Well I would add one more thing. Ipod's and some others have rechargable batteries. I personally use a mp3 player that uses 1 AAA battery. If I am out in an area of poor reception and my mp3 goes dead I get pissed, now I just change the battery. Also, like one of the guys stated I actually velcro my player to the cover over my clutch slave reservoir.

wasabe

:cop:

>>Nonsense, Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. You want to put an MP3 song onto an iPod or rip a song from a CD onto an iPod -- so do it. iPods are not limited to the iTunes store. The iTunes software -- a free download -- provides a convenient way to manage a music library, to transfer music to iPods and to burn music files to CDs (among other things that the software does). The music files can come from anywhere, in a variety of formats.

The iTunes Store sells music files that are encoded in formats that can only be used in iPods, and that have limitations on how they can be copied, in accordance with the demands of the music companies that own the licensing rights to the music.

iPods are not limited to music from the iTunes store. The free iTunes software is the easiest way to load iPods with music, podcasts, etc. that have been obtained from anywhere.

:yikes: Well, imagine that!! I was at Circuit City just two days ago and that is what they told me! Now you're telling me they were wrong??:bang head::fiddle: Just can't find good help anymore!!:95:

Yes, I'm telling you they were wrong. No big surprise there. When you ask a clerk in a store about the features of some electronic gadget, you will often get wrong answers. In fact, it applies to motorcycles as well. Go to a Yammy dealer and ask some questions about the Royal Star Venture's audio system, and see what level of accuracy you get. There are some knowledgeable people and some who will be certain to do the research to get correct information before they answer you, but many will just give a quick response without regard to accuracy.

I know a whole bunch of guys have put their input here about the MP3 players.

Many were talking about IPOD's. Well I would add one more thing. Ipod's and some others have rechargable batteries. I personally use a mp3 player that uses 1 AAA battery. If I am out in an area of poor reception and my mp3 goes dead I get pissed, now I just change the battery. Also, like one of the guys stated I actually velcro my player to the cover over my clutch slave reservoir.

wasabe

:cop:

For the Ipod you can also purchase a power cord that plugs into the ACC port on the fairing.....this will not only keep your Ipod battery fully charged but also provide power to the Ipod as you are using it.

I have never had good luck with batteries....had a few of em leak while they were in storage on the bike.

As said in many posts - most all MP3 players will work. However, please make sure you get a solid state storage unit. This includes most (if not all) except the Ipod classic (40G, 80G, or larger) and the Microsoft Zune (40G, 80G, or larger). These large storage units use rotating media (like a hard disk drive in your computer) and will not hold up under vibrations.

If they have 8G or less memory, you should be alright.

RR

Bubber

Thought this might be helpful

A cassette tape MP3 player

1) inexpensive

2) No wires - stays hiddden in your Cassette player

3) You can use it as a portable player with headphones

4) Uses standard SD memory cards

Thought some of you might be interested in this.

Its posted at "thinkgeeks.com"

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/standalone_or_car_cassette_mp3_player.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/alt-image-zoom.gifZoom http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/alt-image-more.gifMore Images

Will the cassette tape ever die?

In between the beloved LP record and the now familiar CD, there was another music media format - the cassette tape. It was very popular during the 80's and one thing that definitely made it standout was that, unlike a LP, you could easily record onto a cassette tape. Before that your recording options were primarily limited to reel-to-reel tape machines, which were usually pretty large and sometimes not so friendly. Being able to record onto cassette tape also lead to the ever popular "mix tape" - which was usually a collection of kick ass songs you'd give to your wannabe girlfriend or someone else you were trying to impress.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/other/standalone_or_car_cassette_mp3_player_embed.jpg This MP3 player is built into a standard cassette tape, letting you use it as either a uniquely old-school-style MP3 player, or with any car cassette or cassette player to play your music. You will have no problems listening to hours of your favorite songs via the built-in SD card slot, and you can easily change to different songs if you have multiple SD Cards. If you are into retro style looks but with a new technology upgrade, this is a MP3 player worth adding to your gear.

being that the Ipod is not waterproof I put mine into a plastic box that is used to hold ID's. Got in on the navy base exchange. it has a sealed lid that locks down. I drilled a small hole in the cover for the wire. You can't change your volume or music but it stays nice and dry. cost was about $6 bucks.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad I found this as I was just getting ready to ask the same questions. One other thing. How do you load songs on a MP3? I'm aware there are sites where you pay for downloads but I was wondering if I could downlaod some of my CD's onto my computer then onto the MP3?

As said in many posts - most all MP3 players will work. However, please make sure you get a solid state storage unit. This includes most (if not all) except the Ipod classic (40G, 80G, or larger) and the Microsoft Zune (40G, 80G, or larger). These large storage units use rotating media (like a hard disk drive in your computer) and will not hold up under vibrations.

If they have 8G or less memory, you should be alright.

RR

The terminology is Hard Drive and Flash Drive... Stay away from the Hard Drives they can develop issues with the vibration of the Bike... I have a 16 Gig Sansa View Flash Drive I got for christmas... I'll be trying her out in Daytona next week... I'll use my GPS on the ride to FL..

For the Electrically Challanged folks out there ---

Buy an MP3 Player:

It comes with a software disc, and cable.

Load the software onto your computer ( I know, some can't do that either )

NOW !!! Like magic, any music you have on a CD, you can copy onto your computer files ( Window's has these programs, Easy to do )

Now you simply use the software that came with your MP3 Player, to transfer the songs onto your new MP3 Player--- ( no commercials , no station breaks, )

-------------------

Another item, some brand MP3's use AAA , or Maby AA batteries.

Some use Lithium Ion batteries like those in your Cell Phone.

You have to do some shopping around and find the one that will best fit your needs. ( ie. what type of charging system does it need , how many CD's can you stuff onto it etc etc ) Its all very confuseing .

Guess what? you can even get soft ware to Covert you old 78 rpm records to digital, on you computer-- ( ie. any Analog Audio Source ) and put those on the MP3 also !!!!

-------------------------------

Now the Lithium ion ones, use a plug into your computer to recharge, ( same cable thats used to transfer the music ) that brings up another problem cause your motorcycle does not have the right kind of computer plug !!!

Its all very confuseing.

I reccomend the MP3 player that uses AAA or AA batteries, this way when your in the middle of Neveda on highway 50 you can replace the batteries---

-------------------------------------

Now to figure this all out, requiers many hours of searching the internet, for all the MP3 player companies, and each company has 2 to 5 or so different models, that hold different levels of songs, and different types of batteries,

You will need several days to get over the shock as to how much they cost.

The you will need several days of shopping around to find the best place to buy them. ( If you wife gets involved, this will be 10 times more complicated !! )

If you go to the store, the stupid kid salesmen will convince you that you are all wrong, cause he wants to sell what he has an overstock of. ( SO HE WILL LIE TO YOU )

If the radio on your bike does not have and " AUX Input " Jack, then this whole exercise will have been a waste of time and money. Cause unless you are an Electronic Wizard, you won't be able to Rip Open the Old radio, and figure out how to solder in an Home Made, Aux Jack . ( pst, it can be done )

( I won't go into that )

However for those of you who have the Cassett Player, I really like the Cassett idea that has the Chip input !! I'm going to look into that myself, as I'm an electronic type guy, and I find that idea facinating, and I just have to have one !!!

--------

Guess what, in three years all this stuff will be Obsolete!!! :bang head: :stirthepot:

I use a free program called Floola with my 8 gig ipod. That way I can load any mp3 to my ipod without being limited to using itunes. With Floola I can also synch my ipod on more than one computer so its easier to swap mp3s from computer to computer as I have different music at work and at home. With itunes i can only synch my ipod to my home machine only.

Floola has an app for windows, mac and linux

http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod

Brian

For what it's worth I have a sansa clip I keep in the saddle bag. I ran a cord to the back of the radio and a power cord from under the seat and just leave the mp3 player set on random play. With the power cord attached it will start playing anytime I turn the key on, do have to shut it off by hand thou. Makes a clean install and you don't have to mess with it.

Bigfoot

Here is a free CD Ripper you can use to "rip" your CD collection to your computer. Then as said earlier your MP3 player should have a program to transfer to your computer or in alot of cases you can just open the mp3 player folder and drag & drop the mp3 files.

http://www.download.com/Free-CD-Ripper/3000-2168_4-10212165.html

Keith