Well, from what I've read, the "I" basket seems to be a temporary fix to a permanent problem. And not so much a problem, but it's just the way th bike is. I'm wondering, instead of using the "I" basket fix, maybe there's a way to minimize the noise by using sound deadening material around the clutch basket externally. If doing the "I" basket is not 100%, lets find a way to at least permanently reduce the noise in all applications. Any suggestions?

We have those custom fitted ear plugs with vents for hearing helmet speakers. Good protection for the hearing and significantly eliminates the high pitched engine sounds but can still hear/feel the low rumble of exhaust.

It would seem to me that if the problem could be addressed by adding sound deadening material to the clutch basket cover, this would have been a cheaper rout for Yamaha rather than the myriad of clutch baskets that they have designed in attempts to resolve the whine. I have never heard much whine from V-Max motors. It appears that the basket cover is a different design and could have soundedening materials in it. Does anyon know this for sure?I was wondering if the inside of the clutch basket cover could have some material like Dynamat applied to it to reduce the noise (of course it would have to be able to withstand the temps). I cannot think of anything external that would work and not be butt-ugly.

Guest Tomkrsv

I thought the I basket solution moved the whine to a different (higher) RPM that proves not to be noticable. I guess at a higher RPM other noises (wind, engine, traffic, etc) overpower the whine. Is anyone dissatisfied after installing the I basket??

Before the crash wpredock posted a thread about an experiment he tried. He surmised that it was the windshield of his RSTD that caused the whine to be heard by the noise bouncing off the windshield and back at the driver. He removed his windshield and the whine was greatly reduced if not gone. Maybe something for the windshield would be a better way to go. I've been thinking but have not come up with a viable solution.

Guest steveg
We have those custom fitted ear plugs with vents for hearing helmet speakers. Good protection for the hearing and significantly eliminates the high pitched engine sounds but can still hear/feel the low rumble of exhaust.

where did you get those fancy ear plugs??

can you still hear the helmet speakers / intercom good???

if so, i need to get some :guitarist 2:

Can sombody explaine to me why the 2nd gen clutch is makeing this noise, but the 1st Gens. do Not ???

Its basicly the same, engine, so what exactly is the difference in the

Clutch Baskets. ??

Different, type of Metal ? Different, size,? Different Clutch plate material ??

I'm just fishing here, any thoughts ?? Anybody

Before the crash wpredock posted a thread about an experiment he tried. He surmised that it was the windshield of his RSTD that caused the whine to be heard by the noise bouncing off the windshield and back at the driver. He removed his windshield and the whine was greatly reduced if not gone. Maybe something for the windshield would be a better way to go. I've been thinking but have not come up with a viable solution.

Very interesting thought. I have a 650 single that has a bunch more top end noise with a windshield on. I was thinking that since the Clearview is raked back a bit it might direct the noise differently. Does anyone here with a Clearview have any thoughts?

Mine has the noise but I don’t know if it is one of the loud ones or not. I like the sound of the exhaust and at some speeds and light throttle you could hardly hear it over the chirp. I did notice it is louder as the day gets hotter. During the cold winter days, cold for Tucson anyway, it was very quiet. Winter may vary from high 30’s to mid 60’s. Now that it’s summer the lows are in the mid 70’s to 106 on the ride home. I felt sorry for those of you that couldn’t ride in the winter but now we are paying for it. I don’t care to ride above 106 and it hit 111 yesterday. The thing seems to be getting quite loud above 100.

I stopped by to talk with the service manager at the local shop the other day (The high was forecasted as 108 that day so I didn’t take the bike to work). He had some experience with the issue but found it, like many of you have said, just changed the speed the noise appeared at. He did offer to ride the bike any time I like to see if it is an unusual level of the normal noise.

He did offer one possibility that I haven’t seen mentioned here. He suggested trying 20-50 weight oil. Since I had already seen mine as a temperature related problem it seems to be worth a try. My next service point is about 1000 miles away and I’m going to try it then.

I had my first good ride with stage 1 modified Road King mufflers mounted. The exhaust now sounds great even above the 100+ degree chirp so I have a partial fix already.

Jerry

where did you get those fancy ear plugs??

can you still hear the helmet speakers / intercom good???

if so, i need to get some :guitarist 2:

We got them from a store that sells hearing aids, hearing protection etc. Lots of them around. Many companies supply them for their plant workers that are exposed to continuous noise. They have "vented" ones that have a tiny hole that allows a little more sound through than "non vented" ones.

When not using them we run the IC volume at 12 and with them in we run the IC at about 18 when doing interstate speeds. Can hear the helmet speakers fine.

After riding 250 miles on the 4th I was convinced I needed mine replaced(07 Venture, 1600 mi). The whine was very noticable, tiring even. I rode into work this morning planning to leave early and stop by the Yam dealer and ask about it.

I barely noticed any whine if any at all. I rode with a half helmet both times so that isn't a factor. I wonder if it isn't temperature sensitive as was already mentioned, it was in the 85-90 degree range wednesday.

Has anyone noticed the noise to be intermitant? Sometimes very irritating other times barely noticable at all?

Maybe I'll learn more this afternoon since the forcast is for temps in the 90's.

Noticed the same thing to a certain extent. I've also thought about it being "temperature sensitive". I'm thinking seriously about switching to 20W-50 and see if that makes a difference on hot days. I'm thinking that the oil may thin out sufficiently to make it worse.......just a theory however. :2cents:

Ride in 4th gear about 3200 rpm (60 to 68) the whine will go away...

(5th gear-- 68 to whatever)

I hardly ever ride in 5th anymore.

I have noticed that my mileage has Hardly dropped as well.

I also have tried ALL diff wights of oils even have added Lucas.

nothing has helped.

Just my 2 cents ... I have been fighting this problem for over

2 years now. I think I now can enjoy my riding now.. if i let the

bike whine and we have our intercom on we hear it even louder.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken legal action against Yamaha and the selling dealer on the clutch basket whine issue? No one that I know would buy an RSV knowing in advance the agony this creates. I am having the clutch basket replaced today on my 07 RSV with 4,000 miles and am reviewing options if this does not fix the problem. This whine is destroying the pleasure of the ride for me and the wife on an otherwise pretty nice machine. If I were to purchase a car with a like problem, I would be looking to have it repaired or the vehicle replaced by the manufacturer. Just looking for other thoughts on this issue.

Thanks, Steve

Here is a interesting though. I had my basket replaced and though it improved slightly it wasnt much. If the different basket moves the whine to a different range I wonder if by changing to the Vmax gears like Freebird is doing, will change or move the noise to a differnt area. One interesting thing asked is why dont the first gens have the whine. This may be it. the gearing is all different so maybe there is a whine but not in a rpm range that you stay in for long. Food for thought.

Here is a interesting though. I had my basket replaced and though it improved slightly it wasnt much. If the different basket moves the whine to a different range I wonder if by changing to the Vmax gears like Freebird is doing, will change or move the noise to a differnt area. One interesting thing asked is why dont the first gens have the whine. This may be it. the gearing is all different so maybe there is a whine but not in a rpm range that you stay in for long. Food for thought.

The 1st gens. may have the whine. I just think there's enough plastic around the clutch housing that keeps the sound dampened. Bill already proved that the sound is greatly lessened by removing the windshield on the RSTD so it seems that it's a reflection of sound. It would be interesting to make a cover with some sound deadening material in it and try that to see if it decreases the sound.

As far as your question about moving the sound, it will still whine at the same RPM range it will, however, change what speed the sound is located at as the RPM range will be higher at a certain speed than it was before.

what we need to do is go after Yamaha, we all need to join together to get intouch with some one and make sure they understand the problem, I will be talking to my lawyer to find out what rights do I have on this, Ill let everyone know what he says, but in the mean time if anyone can start a petition and we all sign it and send it out. I dont know but to me I love the bike but the noise is making think of saleing my bike.

so what does everyone think about attacking Yamaha about this?:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

what we need to do is go after Yamaha, we all need to join together to get intouch with some one and make sure they understand the problem, I will be talking to my lawyer to find out what rights do I have on this, Ill let everyone know what he says, but in the mean time if anyone can start a petition and we all sign it and send it out. I dont know but to me I love the bike but the noise is making think of saleing my bike.

so what does everyone think about attacking Yamaha about this?:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

Im quite sure that they know of the problem. The problem is that they arent willing ot spend the money to fix it properly or it may need a massive design change to do it. I think that they would just as soon cancel the bike rather than invest that much money to fix a problem that to them is just noise. I think it would be different if we were talking about trannies blowing rather than whine.

so let me ask this if most of you think thats is not worth to let yamaha know how we all feel like if some write a professional letter and we all than print it out we than overwhelm the headquarters they may just maybe hear all of us, will this be worth a shot what do all of you think?

I haven't tried to post up a pole but ill try, but if anyone can do it faster and lets see what evryone out thinks of this.:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

to be fully honest I would even pay a reasonable of curse amont of money just to get ridoff this noise even if yamaha said we will cover labor and we have to cover for new part of curse the money issue will have a big part also to under 1000 would be worth it maybe more thats how much i love the bike.

THIS NOISE IS DRIVING ME CRAZY :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

[quote name='AZSpyder']I stopped by to talk with the service manager at the local shop the other day ......
He did offer one possibility that I haven’t seen mentioned here. He suggested trying 20-50 weight oil. Since I had already seen mine as a temperature related problem it seems to be worth a try. My next service point is about 1000 miles away and I’m going to try it then.

I just changed to 20-50 Mobil 1 Synthethic, and found that the noise deminished a lot from what it was before, although it took a couple hundred miles before I really noticed the difference. It is almost tolerable right now, and has been a thousand miles since I changed.

Also, my passenger cannot hear the noise, and if I lean back a little, it is a lot less noticable. I believe the fact that we are within a sort of "wind eddy" behind the windshield, we hear it even more.

Solutions? I dont' know, but at least if all else fails, ear plugs will work, at least for now.

Lowflyer07 :confused24:

Folks....I understand your frustration and if you want to send letters, I promise to send one also but I can tell you that it's pretty much a waste of time. Been there and done that already. About 4 or 5 years ago, we did this exact thing. I don't remember how many letters we had but there were a LOT, we sent them "Deliver confirmation required" to Yamaha. Never got a response.

Even worse than the fact that they never responded, months and years after that we had members who would call Yamaha about this problem and Yamaha would say "this is the first that we have heard of this problem". They completely refused to even acknowledge it.

I am also not a big fan of class action lawsuits. It seems that they always end with the plaintiffs getting some stupid settlement such as $200.00 off the purchase of any new Yamaha bike while the lawyers end up with all the money.

Sorry to say it but, in my opinion, the only way to get your issue resolved is by individual legal action. I can tell you from experience that it will take months and/or years of playing the waiting game. There are a lot of "lemon law legal firms" who will take your case for free. Absolutely no money from you up front or at any time. They will take their fee after you settle. I can recommend a firm in Ohio that did a good job for me in a similar case but remember, don't bother if you don't have the patience to see it through. It took me almost 18 months to finally get it resolved. The wheels of justice turn very slow.

They worked with me for over a year on my issue with my Annoying

Clutch basket sound. they even took apart the rear and had all the

parts measured , after 5 clutch basket changes all the Rep/Sales/Owner

and My Mechanic could do was shake there head. Sorry, that is all we can

do for you at this point.

Or trade the bike (almost did)

in on a different one or go with the gold-wing I was looking at. My heart

has been into this bike and doing so many add-on's with the help of all you folks

made me keep her. heads always turn when they see our Tan Millennium.

My Wife and I love how comfortable it rides and she loves the bike very much,

it would be real hard to part with it at this point. Like I have said

in other post , there IS a range (RPM) that the sound will go away.

Having the TACH really helps in this case. Most of the time now I look

at the tach for my right speed. then I can enjoy our ride.

Good luck with all your law suits ect..

Short story long. Yamaha DID HELP and worked with me for over a year

on this same issue. I did how ever have to go to another dealer, the first

one said (nature of the beast) so I left and never looked back.

Come to find out when the dealers do they basket changes they only get

paid for half there shop time from Yamaha.

Jeff