IGNORED

Glitches on my 2004 Midnight Edition

Thank you for allowing me to join your organization. I have been following it for almost a year now and thought I should join. There obviously are many very well informed and generous members in this organization and I am glad to be a part of it. My Venture is the best bike I have ever owned and I have been riding since the late 1950's. I have a couple of minor issues on my bike that I want to "throw out there". One is this. Approximately every other time I start my bike (2004 Venture Midnight Editiion) the digital clock is messed up and needs to be reset. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, the headlight fuse blows every month or so. I have the factory lightbar but the last time it blew the lightbar was off. It is a 15 amp fuse and I am reluctant to install a 20 amp for obvious reasons. One time it would not start until that fuse was replaced but the other times it would start without replacing the fuse. I drive legally so do not ride without the headlight. Any ideas anyone?"

I don't have answers that exactly fit your described symptoms, but here are a couple of ideas.

The system clock, along with radio station presets and trip meters, is powered by the "backup" fuse. But you say it only clears ever OTHER time you start it. If the fuse was bad, it should be every single time. Maybe the fuse contacts are marginal? Try pulling the fuse ad re-seating it several times. Also verify both cables are tight on the battery. For the blown headlight fuse, check the wires that run out of the fairing to the light bar. It is quite common for them to be routed wrong and pinch in the steering stops. But I have no idea why you had the starting problem one time! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

My bet is on battery cables........if your connection is bad there that would explain back up not working. My 2003 once stuttered at starting and my trip 1 and 2 reset to zero. Nothing else went though. I tightened battery cables and that fixed it. I'd rather have root canal than electric problems LOL

welcome Hal

JerryK :Venture:

The clock reset, might be the ignition switch also. Does the trip meter reset also?

I also agree that the Battery cables could be it. I had some funny things start happening and checked the cables and the + had come almost completely loose.

I've also had the headlight fuse blow do to a pinch in the wiring from the fairing out.

The clock reset, might be the ignition switch also. Does the trip meter reset also?

Any reasonable fix for the ignition switch? (I assume its a mechanical/contact issue) I have had a couple of instances when the clock and trip meters reset themselves. The bike is a new-to-me 2002 Midnight Venture. I am pretty sure battery connections and grounds are OK.

Ross

Any reasonable fix for the ignition switch? (I assume its a mechanical/contact issue) I have had a couple of instances when the clock and trip meters reset themselves. The bike is a new-to-me 2002 Midnight Venture. I am pretty sure battery connections and grounds are OK.

Ross

Nope, they hasn't been reported a Fix for the Switch. The Contacs mostly are toasted. You need to replace the Switch, because it will go out, only Question is when. Usually this happens in the worst Situation.

Best to know how to hot wire your bike for when it does happen. You'll thank yourself for being prepared ahead of time.

...because if you don't know how to hot wire it, the 1st gen riders you're with will leave you by the side of the road...ain't that right, BradT??

...because if you don't know how to hot wire it, the 1st gen riders you're with will leave you by the side of the road...ain't that right, BradT??

Yah, some of them 1st. Gen guys just leave you there stranded. BUT a couple hours later that 2nd gen caught up and road home with you.

Brad

Electrical problems is one of the most difficult to diagnose and very time consuming. As suggested, it could be as simple as a loose battery cable. It also could be a wire that has been 'kicked' and pressed against something that can cause its fuse to blow. Also have a reputable shop run a diagnosis on the health of your battery. Hope you can have all the issues fixed soon and welcome to the forum. Ride safe.

Aint so Swifty...........just ask Sleelperhawk how many 1st gens stayed with him and helped him out when his ign. switch went out and what bikes made a run to pick up something he needed to help him get going again............just dont ask him who towed him and what he did to the tower when it was over..........:big-grin-emoticon:

Only time I have had that happen is when the battery was going bad. Same thing on Craig's 99 when his battery finally played out this year. I would have the battery checked as the battery is now 4 years old. You could put a digi volt meter on it and see if the voltage drops below 12 volts when you try to start the bike. That would cause both of your problems..........Ken

:bang head:Thanks for the responses. The battery is a year old and I will clean the connectors. As suggested I will also trace the headlight wire and look for pinched or bare wires. I may use some tuner spray in the ignition switch and check the backup fuse as well. Another good suggestion was to take it to the dealer under warranty. I have had the bike a year and while the notorious "whine" from the drivetrain hasn't gotten any louder I still want their opinion in that area. The warranty expires in April so I'll see what the dealer has to say about it.

I thank you for your input and I very much enjoy this organization. It has been very helpful to me on other items, i.e. light bulbs. I appreciate the fact that I can benefit from other's experiences.

Thanks again.

Hal....If the Dealer replaces your ignition switch have the Service Tech install stainless steel mounting bolts with Ny-Loc nuts on the switch when he mounts the new one.

Those tamper-proof bolts that Yammi uses on those ignition switches are a real pain to get off. Once your Warranty is done you will have to replace that switch yourself in order to save $$$$.

Thanks, Boomer, I'll do that. This info is the kind of stuff that really helps out fellow Venturers. I will have it at the dealer soon into the new year.

Give credit to Maineac....He passed that info to me as my Venture is at the Dealer getting a new switch as well.

Regards and ride safe........Boomer