IGNORED

which GPS is the best now???

If I were looking for a refurbished GPS for the bike what is the best, easyest to read, water resistant, user friendly, biggest screen for quick viewing, best software, out there? It seams like every few months the price comes down and they get better. Do most people use all the extras that come with the higher priced ones? What is the web sight that has them for sale? Many Thanks for any help.:happy-emoticon:

This is just an opinion, but when it comes to electronics I don't worry about which one is best. My reasoning is that (like you mentioned) as soon as I buy one they'll come out with one twice as good for half as much.

I didn't worry about water resistance either, as I figure as little as I ride in the rain I can stick it in a saddle bag when it starts raining. I don't expect this to influence your choice, just like to put my opinion out there like if it mattered. :)

Well, at the end of the day they all get you there.

Mine has real time traffic, reality view (shows a 3d picture of the interchange and puts orange arrows down the lanes I should be in) and text to speech (says street names out loud). It's not water proof or water resistant.

For my $0.02 traffic is not very valuable, reality view is cool but not usually necessary, text to speech is great. I find I primarily listen to it rather than look at it (good thing).

I'm planning to adapt it to the Venture for next season. I think I can tie it into the intercom system to hear it talk. Like eazyduzzit I'll take it off in the rain. Although as I write this it occurs to me I could install it in the trunk where it would be dry and still listen through the intercom. Maybe a 2nd hook up.

I bought this summer a Refurbished Garmin Streetpilot 2720 on Ebay for $160.00 shipped.

this gps came with the new 2008 maps en 1 year Manufacturer warranty.

this gps is perfect for on the bike and it is waterproof.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/color01joy/P1010263.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/color01joy/P1010262.jpg

Redneck has used the Lowrance for years and I really liked the size and visibility it offers for my old eyes. It also tells you what exit, turn direction, and road you be turning onto. Very valuable to me as I don't have to watch a screen to know what to do. Had to make custom mounts for the 1st gen handlebars though. Unit is large and heavy. Works very well though.

I have several different models and the one I always use is the Iway500c. It is water proof it has the largest screen it is a touch screen its very user friendly it is also an mp3 player. it has died a couple of times the first time it was under warranty and I had a new one in a few days with their apology the second time it was way out of warranty and they replaced it for $169.00 . some of my favorite features are its ability to give me a list of hotels with phone numbers when I see the one I want I touch it on the screen and touch the go to box and it makes a map to it. It will do the same thing for gas stations,shopping ,tourist attractions ,mechanic tire and towing services. It is hard wired into my bike and talks through the audio system in other vehicles I use lighter plug in cord with its own speaker. It came with both cords a motorcycle mount and a windshield mount.

There's been a number of descriptions of what their GPSes do but only one person has said what he uses. A Lawrence. More information please, Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Dick

I use Zumo 500. Specially made for motorcycles with all the buttons on the left side and is also has a touch screen. Hooks up to the battery of your bike or a lighter plug for 12v or you can charge the battery and it will last for 4 hours. Very user friendly.

I Bluetoothed my phone to the Zumo and then Bluetoothed the Zumo to my helmet. So I can answer the phone with voice demand or touch the screen to answer, and I hear "Suzanne" all the time telling me where to go. And the best thing is - It is all wireless. Has mp3 so I can also listen to music.

Love that thing!

This thread reminds me of a story. Our Sunday School class took a weekend retreat to Glorietta, NM last October. Our class director uses a GPS that utilizes the voice of a Japanese woman. In traveling about Santa Fe, it soon became obvious to our director that this particular Japanese girl had never been to Santa Fe as she kept giving innacurate directions. Reports of the GPS saying things like "You go wrong way! Must turn 'round now! You so stupid!" abounded in our GPS discussions.

As for me, Rand McNally makes this thing that I prefer to use. It's something called a "Map". And I don't waste time with Atlases either, I get the full-blown fold out type map. With maps, all the mistakes are mine.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 750, got it at Sams, Nice wide screen easy to use, never even opened the instructions, and nobody ever accused me of being Tech savy. Ram mount on mirror left side, plugs into liter with short wire. Built in FM modulator sends signal rite to VR radio, no wires. I like it alot, has the mp3 built in and picture viewer. I was always a map guy, but the thing I like most about the gps is it tells you where the closest gas, lodging and food is. I went cheap to see if I would like it, and I do. Good Luck, Craig

I am looking for a gps that gives me m.p.h. as well as directions.. but when lookin at the adds not all of them say if they have that feature.. ( sometimes it sounds like my speedo is ready to die on me..):confused24:

I think most of them have that. Lowrance and Garmin are two that I know have the feature. Since the GPS has to know how fast you are going to know where you are at, it only makes sense that they can display it. The Lowrance !Way 500C allows you to customize your display pretty much the way you want to. I would be willing to bet that most models have that. I saw a Nuvi 705 recently, liked the price and the idea that it allows you to load up your own POIs (lowrance doesn't), but I don't think it is waterproof which is a big deal with me.

Guest tx2sturgis

Just so you know, the NUVI 200 and 200W do NOT display speed while in navigation/map display mode, but you can touch the screen to get the speed, or it defaults to speed and direction when NOT navigating. My other Garmin, which is a handheld unit, will display whatever you want, depending on your setup of the unit.

What I'm saying is, that be sure to check into it if you need a certain feature. You cant automatically assume any unit will display speed, altitude, direction, or anything else, because some of the less expensive units cut back on features.

Guest tx2sturgis
Since the GPS has to know how fast you are going to know where you are at, it only makes sense that they can display it..

Not a big deal, but actually, its the other way around...the GPS triangulates where you are located once each second*, then figures out if your moving, and if so, how fast, and in which direction.

* Normal automotive GPS units.

I would think HOW you use your GPS would be a huge influence on what kind you get.

I have mine wired into the intercom so audio out jack is important to me.

I don't really look at it while i'm driving but I do have it set so it displays a large black circle with the next turn arrow in white. Its visable at a glance in most daylight conditions.

It also charges from the USB bus so I had to build a powered USB bus for the bike.

It is also the cheapest one I could buy. (It hurst lees if it gets wrecked)

I have also used it to locate the nearest tim hortons.

If you can figure out what you want it to do for you then you know what features to look for.

Scotty

Today I spent a few minutes on E-Bay bidding on a Garmin Streetpilot 2720. The price was at $55 when I started bidding. There must be some kind of "Auto Bidder" set up for the Seller because every time I put in a bid my price was quickly beat by a fast bid.

Anywhoooo....I quit bidding at $100 and purchased the Unit via a "Buy it Now" price of $119 + Free Shipping.

I just checked and the Unit I was bidding on sold for $139 with additional Shipping charges to be applied! LOL!

I guess some folks have more money than common sense when it comes to E-Bay!LOL!

I use a hand held Magellan Meridian Platinum it will do every thing you want and some the price is less than a 100. bucks now for a new one on ebay if you look i gave over 400 for mine new years ago and it still works great its waterproof and will float if droped in the lake runs off battery or 12V. you can also get it in a Meridian color if you need a color screen it will show speed distance average speed top speed it will do most everything but no touchscreen and not a wide screen

it is very dependable and will take you there and back

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/magellanmeridianplatinum.php

here is a pic of my gps on the bike with a ram mount

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/drayco58/IMG_0010.jpg?t=1227838272

Edited by dray

Guest tx2sturgis
The best for motorcycle? Hands down the Garmin Zumo 660...

Only thing is...Garmin doesnt make a Zumo 660. The did make a NUVI 660. Is that what you meant?

:think: