I never had my own device for balancing carbs so, I would get them checked at a shop only when the bike appeard to need it... some 2 or 3 year intervals.

Now that I own a 2nd gen, I will be ordering the Morgan Carb-tune as it appears these 2nd gen's require it more often than 1st gen's....

:witch_brew: :witch_brew: :witch_brew: :rotf:

I am new in the Venture world and before I reached 600 miles last month, I decided that I will really need something to synch my carbs long term. It is recommended to synch carbs every oil change and the first time I did it, it turned out not to be too bad after all. I was also surprised that my carbs were really off at 600 miles. I got myself a RPM meter to adjust idle and the Carbtune Pro...over time I am sure that it will pay for itself instead of having the dealership do it for you.

I guarantee you, if you own a Venture...a Carbtune meter is a must to have. Ride safe.

I went ahead and purchased the Morgan Carb Tune....with the case.

I came across a few older threads on how to use it and am hoping it is as easy as they say (I build a mean house but mechanics and I don't get along). I have now given myself days of work on the bike between speakers, cracked brackets, resetting the after market pipes etc.etc.

Might have to see if the wife will let me skip the brother in-laws for T-day so I can get them done?:crackup:

Just a quick question. How often are y'all balancing your carbs? I've been thinking of getting a CarbTune outfit, but wasn't sure how much I'd use it.

I have the Carbtune II and could help you with it. I also have a set of Motion Pro mercury sticks that I would sell for $25.00. I have been afraid of trying to sell them on Ebay because I would have to ship them and with the mercury issue I don't know if I could.

Buying a Carbtune is a great investment no matter what bike you have. I have tuned 2, 3 and 4 cylinder bikes with it. Anytime you get multiple carbs that need to be synced, this will work. I have one and it's more than paid for itself several times over. They really aren't that hard to do, and anytime you do any maintenance to the fuel or air delivery systems on any bike you should check the sync. I have seen carbs come back from the dealership WAY off. This is my piece of mind to make sure it's right

:happy34:

Edited by Squidley

I do mine at the beginning of the year, and it never seems to be far off. I average about 10,000 miles per year, if that helps.

When I bought mine I had two bikes that both needed it done, and it was cheaper than bringing both to the dealers. THe site was quite new and there was not many people around that had one.

Brad

In my experience, the "need" for syncing the RSV carbs is relative to your own perception. I know the RSV will run quite well for many many thousands of miles with the carbs fairly far OUT of sync. And the average rider who has never had their carbs set up spot-on will never even know there is something better.

But I have also found that even having one carb just 1" Hg different than the others (standard variation is only .4") will produce some noticeable high-speed vibration under acceleration. It has also been my experience that few shops ever put enough effort into the carb sync to get them withing the .4" spec. They usually get them pretty close, but getting them really correct just tends to take a bit more time than their rushed mechanics are willing to spend. Having your own gauges just gives you a lot of piece of mind knowing that all is set up perfectly without having to spend a cent to check it (after the initial purchase, of course).

Personally, I suggest anyone who does their own maintenance should have a manometer set, and I am very partial to the mechanical vacuum gauges over either mercury sticks or the Carb-tune. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose