#1 Is the battery under the seat and how do you remove the seat? 2nd the manual said the dealer needs to charge the battery, is there something special about it that I can't put it on my Battery Tender also do you recommend removing the battery or just hooking tender up on bike. The dealer that I bought the bike from was not a load of info.

The battery is under the drivers seat. Two nuts towards the front, 10 mm secure the seat to the bike. Remove the nuts and lift the seat from the front portion exposing the battery. There is no reason you can't do any maintenance on the battery and add your battery tender.:thumbsup:

Yes the battery is under the drivers seat. This is removed by undoing the two nuts that hold them on. If you get down beside the bike and look under the seat you will see these about mid way.

The battery can be hooked up to a battery tender and many folks here have them. I am not sure if a battery tender is strong enough to charge a real low battery...one would think not but they are good for maintaining a charge.

A good strong battery is important and a bad one will make things go goofy in a hurry and with little warning.

The dealer (stealer) does not have to do this simpliest of maintenance. Heck there are many folk on this site that dont let the dealers near their bikes and do most things themselves.

This is a great site and you should visit the tech sections- the advice there will save you bundles of money and keep your baby purring along for many miles.

I to have the battery tender hooked up where I can just plug it in and not remove the seat. Still on the original battery starting my 9th year. I do think I will change it after Christmas just because I don't like surprises when I don't need them.

I to have the battery tender hooked up where I can just plug it in and not remove the seat. Still on the original battery starting my 9th year. I do think I will change it after Christmas just because I don't like surprises when I don't need them.

Where do you have the connector tucked away. This seems the way to go for ease if we get any surprise warm weather and I won't have to reprogram everything.

Been using a B-Tender on each bike I've owned, first thing I put on my ride. Make your connections tight to the battery and (I prefer) to have the connector on the left (stand side), tie wrapped the wire connector to the frame (about an inch or so from the end) to stop excess wire to wiggle out flip/flop in the wind against the chrome.

[ATTACH]23919[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23920[/ATTACH]

also do you recommend removing the battery

Caution note here:

If you do remove your btattery to charge it, DO NOT set the battery on the cement floor ...place it on a piece of wood or something, but do not set it directly on the cement floor..it will drain it.

[quote=Eck;274640

Caution note here:

If you do remove your btattery to charge it, DO NOT set the battery on the cement floor ...place it on a piece of wood or something, but do not set it directly on the cement floor..it will drain it.

I know that this is a commonly held belief but with modern batteries, there is no possibility of leakage to damp concrete to discharge a battery. In the old days, battery cases were a hard molded rubber with high carbon content that could allow some leakage but this is not the case with the high dielectric value for today's polymer cases.

Keeping the battery charged is very important for the longevity of your battery. A battery tender is a good idea. I tend to just leave it in the bike and put it on a slow (500 ma) charge for a few hours every few weeks. No problems so far.

Ross

You CANNOT trickle charge through power (lighter) port. It is disconnected with the key off. You can charge through the port if you leave the key in accessory but the radio would then be live.

What if I keep the radio off and ignition on accessory, is this ok?

I know that this is a commonly held belief but with modern batteries, there is no possibility of leakage to damp concrete to discharge a battery. In the old days, battery cases were a hard molded rubber with high carbon content that could allow some leakage but this is not the case with the high dielectric value for today's polymer cases.

Keeping the battery charged is very important for the longevity of your battery. A battery tender is a good idea. I tend to just leave it in the bike and put it on a slow (500 ma) charge for a few hours every few weeks. No problems so far.

Ross

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6685

:rasberry:

Quite a discussion. Just one of those things I questioned some time ago and did a little research. Now, if putting the battery on a bench or in a more prominent place means it will get noticed and maintained, then keep it off the concrete floor! The key is to keep it fully charged without overcharging or charging at too high a rate.

Ross

Do yourself a favor and when you decide to replace your battery - replace it with the Odessey. I replaced mine last year when Condor headed up a group buy with the company. It may cost a couple dollars more but I think in the long run, it is worth it. My two cents.

MIKE aka Uturn

:7_6_3[1]:

What is good about the Odessey battery?

They are AGM, Dry Cell, Technology. ( ie. Mil. Spec. )

No fluid to Add.

They charge to 12.7 to 12.8 volts.

They put out about 3 times the Cranking Amps of a Lead Acid Battery.

They Last a Long Long Long Time.

They can be mounted in any postition except UPSIDE DOWN>

However they cost more, but are worth the extra money.

I have three of them in use, and absolutly no problems for 3 years.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ Check their website for complete specifications, and fitment guide.

:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...