IGNORED

Installing Road King mufflers

I'm a new 2009 RSV owner and I'm ready to switch out my stock mufflers for the RKs. I've read as much as I can find on here about doing this but I'm unclear on a couple of things.

I'm really looking for the easiest way to do this.... :puzzled:

If I go to the local HD dealer and ask if they have any stock RK mufflers, is there a particular type I should ask for? What about brackets? Can these be purchased or do I have to grind and cut? What exactly do I need to do this job?

Thanks for your help,

David

David -

You want "non-catalyst" mufflers. They need to be off a HD Touring Bike (Road King, and many other models). You can use other mufflers with the catalyst (I have) and these will be what your HD dealer will have as they are on the newer HD's.

Or you can look around, (craigslist, eBay, etc) for pipes taken off an older HD (new take offs are out there) without the catalyst.

Here are the P/N's (part numbers) you are looking for....

They will end with the following numbers if they are non-catalyst mufferls off a touring HD.

95a

or 98a

Make sure you check the P/N's on BOTH mufflers

Guest BluesLover

David - it is an easy mod. So much so, that even a total klutz like me was able to do it.

You will also need a set of clamps for those new RK mufflers. I went with the standard RK clamps from HD, but others have gone with a wider clamp (that would have been my choice if I had to do it over again).

And, you will need some mounting brackets. Brad (Squidley) used to make them, but I believe he's gone into retirement on that part. I know I've seen others for sale, but I'll be darned if I can find where.

If you go to the Tech Library for 2nd Gens, under Engine and Drivetrain, you will see a write up that will give you all the information you should need.

Good luck,

Hilliss.....thanks for the info, that will really help. I just noticed that Squidly was making brackets and that you may being doing it now? If I find a set of RK mufflers can I buy some brackets from you?

:mo money:

Thanks,

David

David -

You want "non-catalyst" mufflers. They need to be off a HD Touring Bike (Road King, and many other models). You can use other mufflers with the catalyst (I have) and these will be what your HD dealer will have as they are on the newer HD's.

Or you can look around, (craigslist, eBay, etc) for pipes taken off an older HD (new take offs are out there) without the catalyst.

Here are the P/N's (part numbers) you are looking for....

They will end with the following numbers if they are non-catalyst mufferls off a touring HD.

95a

or 98a

Make sure you check the P/N's on BOTH mufflers

BluesLover....thanks for the info! I can usually do what needs to be done, but it usually takes me a lot longer because I don't know what I'm doing. ha.

So the brackets that come with RK will work on the RSV? I saw where somebody did some grinding and cutting to get their brackets on, but I'd really rather not do that if I don't have to.

David

David - it is an easy mod. So much so, that even a total klutz like me was able to do it.

You will also need a set of clamps for those new RK mufflers. I went with the standard RK clamps from HD, but others have gone with a wider clamp (that would have been my choice if I had to do it over again).

And, you will need some mounting brackets. Brad (Squidley) used to make them, but I believe he's gone into retirement on that part. I know I've seen others for sale, but I'll be darned if I can find where.

If you go to the Tech Library for 2nd Gens, under Engine and Drivetrain, you will see a write up that will give you all the information you should need.

Good luck,

Guest BluesLover
So the brackets that come with RK will work on the RSV? I saw where somebody did some grinding and cutting to get their brackets on, but I'd really rather not do that if I don't have to.

David

I bought new RK brackets - the mufflers I used were given to me, so I wasn't going to hit him up for the brackets too ... and I had no problems with the brackets. I did have to grind down the inside of the mufflers (mine had a little "lip" on the inside that wound up stopping them for sitting correctly). But it wasn't a big deal to do that.

Cheers,

Will late model Road King mufflers work ok? Any difference in sound with the Cats?

I'm looking at a pair of mufflers now that the owner says are for a Road King HARFLT. He says they're '07s without the catalyst. Did HD make 07s without the catalyst or would they have been modded already? Would this work with my 09 RSV?

Thanks again!

Will late model Road King mufflers work ok? Any difference in sound with the Cats?

I'm looking at a pair of mufflers now that the owner says are for a Road King HARFLT. He says they're '07s without the catalyst. Did HD make 07s without the catalyst or would they have been modded already? Would this work with my 09 RSV?

Thanks again!

David, i may be "all wet" here, but i think every H D muffler, after 2005, has cats!

jus tj

Its not they year that determines the catalyst.... some 2005's and earlier used a catalyst muffler on one side.....

What is important is the P/N (part number)

If the pipes end with a P/N of "07"... they ARE catalyst mufflers. Now, this wont matter if you remove the catalyst for drill straight through the mufflers.

But again, what you are looking for are P/N's ending in 95, 95a, 98, or 98a on BOTH pipes.

You can find these used on eBay... every once in a blue moon, you can also find a new take off set on eBay. just check your P/N's

• 2 months later...

Were abouts is this part number on the muffler?

I have been using my R/K.s for about

2 years now. I wonder if my part number is right or not now.

So what will happened if I have had the wrong part number

installed all this time?

Jeff

I am also installing the RK mufflers on mine (once I get them) ... could you elaborate on "wider clamp" ... is this a Harley clamp or exactly what and where would a guy get this?

Guest BluesLover
I am also installing the RK mufflers on mine (once I get them) ... could you elaborate on "wider clamp" ... is this a Harley clamp or exactly what and where would a guy get this?

Harley doesn't make that clamp, and I lost track of the part numbers. I'll bet you if you PM Squid he can tell you. It was Brad who put me on to the wider clamp in the first place.

Cheers,

P.S. I just picked up the following from the Classifieds - Hilliss is making the brackets and says the following about the clamps:

"you will need; (1) Clamps - you can use the stock HD clamps, or get yourself a set of VTwin 31-9920 chrome clamps which will cover the gap between your header pipe and the HD mufflers;"

Cheers,

Harley doesn't make that clamp, and I lost track of the part numbers. I'll bet you if you PM Squid he can tell you. It was Brad who put me on to the wider clamp in the first place.

Cheers,

P.S. I just picked up the following from the Classifieds - Hilliss is making the brackets and says the following about the clamps:

"you will need; (1) Clamps - you can use the stock HD clamps, or get yourself a set of VTwin 31-9920 chrome clamps which will cover the gap between your header pipe and the HD mufflers;"

Cheers,

thanks M8T

very nice

I don't think I'll use those though as I'm going to adapt the flange off the stock mufflers which basically covers up those fancy chromed clamps. Stock HD clamps should be fine (or are they fancy chrome too ?) ....haven't actually seen them yet.

I had a friend make the rear brackets from aluminum and used the VTwin 31-9920 clamps. I would not use the OEM HD claps, I read somewhere that the HD dealer's replace the clamps every time they take them apart as per factory instructions, also I heard they loosen up over time and as they are tighten they eventually break. That is another reason besides looking good, considering HD prices they may even be a bargain.

I had a friend make the rear brackets from aluminum and used the VTwin 31-9920 clamps. I would not use the OEM HD claps, I read somewhere that the HD dealer's replace the clamps every time they take them apart as per factory instructions, also I heard they loosen up over time and as they are tighten they eventually break. That is another reason besides looking good, considering HD prices they may even be a bargain.

That looks great! thanks for those pics. I am planning to fabricate my own brackets once I get the mufflers (they're currently being shipped to me). There's an article elsewhere on this site that shows how to use the Stock flange and I think I like that look because it covers up the "quick transition" from the small header pipe to the full thickness of the muffler and makes for a "smoother" transition look (IMHO)

Here is what I used and they work perfect. The clamps are from a company called V-twin. Here is the part number 31-9920.

They are beautiful chrome and wide enough to cover the cap and stepped down to cover the slight size difference. 1 7/8 -1 3/4 Just go to their web sight and find a dealer near you. Expect to pay about $30.

Gook Luck, you'll love the sound the the RK's

Here is what I used and they work perfect. The clamps are from a company called V-twin. Here is the part number 31-9920.

They are beautiful chrome and wide enough to cover the cap and stepped down to cover the slight size difference. 1 7/8 -1 3/4 Just go to their web sight and find a dealer near you. Expect to pay about $30.

Gook Luck, you'll love the sound the the RK's

Got the RK's on ... Vtwin clamps are on order ... made my own brackets.... sound is great!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a nice set of rk pipes and the clamps in great shape if you are interested in picking some up. tj

If the earlier posters don't want them, I may be interested. Not sure where I am in line, but would like to know price and shipping to 32309 (N. Fl.) Momma wants a little more noise!

Thanks

Keith

I got my R/K`s mounted last wed. ( Thanks for the tip Squidly) I used the big wide clamps, and made my own brackets, sorry no pics, I punched the baffles completely out, used a 3/4in solid rod on both ends..sounds great, not to loud, just a nice deep growl....I think I will do the mod with the cone off of my OEM pipes as I do not like the transition from the pipe to the muffler..

Kreg