IGNORED

my 1 accident

I had to change my "signature" from "never" to "one" accident!

Locked up rear wheel in panic on my 01 RSV. Slid about 250' on the asphalt per accident report. Not sure if it would have been better to have ABS or linked brakes which might have prevented the lock up & the lay down. Otherwise I might have hit the bastur* who pulled out in front of me and ended up hitting the car instead and sending over the bars & into the sob! My RSV has about $8K damages and I ended up with road rash and busted up ankle. Thank God I had enough sense to wear my helmet, leather jacket and gloves (which are all trashed!) or else I might not even be able to type this!

Sure you don't have a typo on the 250' skid? Musta been going about 150 to skid that far!

Glad you're fine though, never can win against a car.

Dan

Assuming perfect friction with the road it's more like 87MPH.

(I love the internet, you can research anything!)

Glad you're safe. Don't do that anymore.

Yeah D,

You are very fortunate to have come through this as well as you did. In my three mishaps with this brake, I have tore up 3 Shoei X-Eleven helmets, broke a collar bone, cracked countless ribs, have a titanium plate holding my 2nd metacarpal together and am still riding (the same bike).

And yeah ABS and even linked brakes would have at least helped you stay in control but may not have allowed you to stop soon enough. But again you are not the first one of us to lock up a rear brake on this bike. In case you have not been keeping up with this issue, you might want to check out this link and do a search on "Proportioning":

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/979/cat/7/date/1157932426

It's not a perfect solution, but it's will certainly help in those emergency situations that we sometimes are confronted with. There are also other solutions like adjusting the brake pedal and adding more free play to allow the pedal to travel some before the master cylinder slams a mass of fluid to the rear caliper. Then you can practice not using the entire ball of your foot on the pedal and modulating the rear brake while squeezing the front brake lever. But again in an emergency, your right leg sometimes has a mind of its own.

So get her put back together and get back into the saddle and you will be better off for it.

Rick

Good to see that it's you typing, I know all about going down because the rearend going south. Sometimes it seems like russian roulette riding with all the idiots out there, it could have been so much worse as I'm sure you have thought of that. Take the time to heal up right and we'll see you back in the wind.

I had an idoit pull out in front of me. I stayed up, but the back tire was smoking! Luckily he stopped in the in my lane and I was able to swerve around him! Some 101 year old guy in a 70's tank. Glad you came out ok, evrything else can be repaired.

Kenw :missingtooth:

About the skid distance, I took it to mean the skid included tire marks and then AFTER the bike laid down. In fact he mentions "Lock up and Lay Down"

A bike sliding on pavement on its side will go a lot farthur than if it is on the tires with brakes locked.

A quick search on the internet revealed that CARS with FOUR bigger contact patches can take upwards of 200 feet to stop from 60 MPH.

He didn't mention how fast he was going, but it is very easy to see how the combined stopping distance could be 250 ft since the tires weren't doing any stopping for a good portion of the accident.

Unless he was going a lot faster than 60 though, he probably was slowed down pretty well by the time he slid into the car.

Good to hear another person came out of another accident with just a few injuries.

Just shows what a little protection will do. Its been a long time since I've been down on a bike but it seems to me when you are sliding on the pavement the speed picks up and the end is a long ways down the road. And then sometimes you get to make a decision, if you get high sided whether you want to go for height or distance.

Good luck and heal fast,

Jerry

As far a sliding distance... I was on an '83 FLH riding at 40 mph about 200 ft behind a line of cars just as it started drizzling. Someone at the front of the line stopped suddenly and the cars started locking up brakes. It startled me so I got on the rear brake too hard and went down. It took all of that distance for me to stop sliding. In fact, when the bike stopped, my wife sat up and bumped her helmet on the rear bumper of the last car.

If you think about it, the bike was only sliding on about 1-2 sq inches of metal; where the hiway bar peg pivoted and the lower bend of the rear bag guard.

All,

Please read the book Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough.

It has improved my riding and it goes into detail why you should NOT lay your bike down.

I just put a hold on that book at my local public library. :dancefool: