IGNORED

Got a new scoot? .. CHANGE YOUR OIL!!!!!

SilvrT

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the guy you bought from is a dumb ass. There should not be chunks of metal in a good break in. Good thing the V4 is pretty bullet proof. Good luck but I would not trust that motor. Rod

I forgt to mention that the previous owner had the bike in for it's 1000 km service which includes an oil & filter change. I decided to change the oil for 2 reason's... firstly, because the oil level was too high so I needed to drain some anyway and secondly because I wanted to switch to Amsoil Motorcycle specific synthetic.

We'll see what comes out next change... in any event, it's got warranty so if there are any internal problems, Yamaha can fix it.

Did you strain the oil to find those?

I always thought it was common to find filings on a break in. Granted some of those look a little large but not trusting the motor?

The filings were on the bottom of the drain pan after I dumped the oil out of it. The pan was clean before I started. I used a magnet to gather them up.

I've heard others say they've seen this before so really, I'm not too worried...just amazed.

I agree. I wouldn't worry about it. You have a lot of warranty left and if there are any major problems. they will show up long before it runs out.

Hate to be the nay-sayer in the group, but I would definitely worry about this. Chunks of that size are absolutely not normal. What did you do to check inside the pan and try to verify all of them came out with the oil? Yes, you do have a long warranty, and Yamaha will undoubtedly do the repairs for you, but IMHO this portends catastrophic failure in the future. And that is not the kind of thing I'd want waiting for me on a TOURING bike where I intend to often be thousands of miles from home. 1,400 kilometers is pretty darn low miles for a bike to already be on it's second owner - any chance this was a known problem and is WHY the bike was sold? I'd ask the shop to check the maintenance records on the bike to see if it has ever been in for work and at what mileage.

I would take those chunks and the bike to your dealer and ask them to thoroughly check it out in whatever way they are willing. That should at least get your complaint about known internal engine problems on record. The benefit of that is insurance against any shop trying to blame you for poor maintenance when it does go kablooey.

Next, I would pay particular attention to the normal engine sounds now - even compare them to several other low-mileage Ventures. Then be particularly attentive to any suspected changes to the sound of the engine over time. Often we think we hear something different but are not sure, so we wait to see if it gets worse. You won't want to do that! You might even consider getting a mechanic's stethoscope to get a better picture of what is going on inside - they are not expensive.

Finally, I'd sure watch the future oil changes closely to see if this keeps up. It is possible, but not likely, that the engine could have been contaminated on the build. Adding a magnetic oil plug in this case is absolutely mandatory to ensure you capture and remove all the metal pieces as they move around.

Again, I hate to spread doom and gloom, but forewarned is forearmed. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

It's too late now, but get an oil analysis kit from your Amsoil dealer and use it at the next oil change.

It is possible the bits are just left over from manufacturing, but today, most engine builders are VERY careful with this, and that much stuff coming out is unusual.

An oil analysis will clearly show if something is coming apart and wearing funny inside, and be good proof for the dealer that they need to do something sooner rather than waiting for a huge failure.

What did you do to check inside the pan and try to verify all of them came out with the oil?

As I'd mentioned, the drain pan was clean before dropping the oil .....

WHOOPSIE !!!! ....I just remembered something .... OMG I'm such a dummy!!! Sorry guys... this post is a FAKE!!!

OMFG!!.. I am laffing at myself.... the oil filter was so tight that I couldn't get it loose with a filter wrench ... even tried a pipe wrench but there wasn't quite enuf room so... hahaha (and here's how the filings got into the drain pan) ... hahaha I drilled a large hole thru the oil filter, stuck a bar through it and twisted the filter loose. Of course, I had the drain pan under that so the metal filings are from me drilling the filter!!!

aaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhh.... I'm LOOSIN it !!!

Heh heh ,now thats funny (in a scary kinda way)

pick up a couple of rare earth magnets from princess auto(cheap and very strong) put on drain plug ,filter and drain pan .did that on my Triumph and seen almost no debris first time i changed the oil and nothing since. i have them on my RSV but ive recently had the first service done so it,ll be a while before i change the oil.

Boy, after spending that kind of money, thats the kind of stuff that makes your stomach flip up side down! Well, I'm glad you found the "root" cause for the problem! It's good you can laugh about it...NOW!:cool10:

Earl

yeah... after reading some of the "doom 'n gloom" posts, I wuz starting to get a bit worried. LOL ... I'll be laffin at myself about this one for quite a while!

I am glad you figured it out too. Here is a hint in case you ever find a filter that tight again - no need to use a drill. Just take a long common screwdriver and use that ball peen hammer you are so proud of to poke it straight through the center of the filter (remembering to allow for room to turn the filter). The screwdriver will go in easily and is a bit more simple than drilling a hole first. Oh, it also won't drop a lot of metal in your oil to make you flip out!

Goose

I am glad you figured it out too. Here is a hint in case you ever find a filter that tight again - no need to use a drill. Just take a long common screwdriver and use that ball peen hammer you are so proud of to poke it straight through the center of the filter (remembering to allow for room to turn the filter). The screwdriver will go in easily and is a bit more simple than drilling a hole first. Oh, it also won't drop a lot of metal in your oil to make you flip out!

Goose

thanks for the tip .... I was so flustered by the fact of the filter being so tight, all I could think of was using my BIG BAD PRY BAR ...which required me to drill a BIG BAD OLD HOLE for it ... LOL

Even with the pry bar, it was very tight...never have I seen a spin-on filter that tight. guess there's a first time for everything!

Ok, so now that leaves room for somebody else to come up with a good one. Glad it turned out and you can laugh at yourself, it sure makes life a lot more enjoyable.

Let us know when you come up with another 'idea'.

heh... I think your signature is more applicable to me!

:sign20:

You may leave my signature alone, I've earned it, and I plan on keeping it, for a while at least. Someday, when I'm done with it, my kids may want to sell it and then you may bid on it.:rotf:

OK... can I use a "variation" then??? such as "It's not easy being me...but I'll do it anyway"

:sign20:

Guest tx2sturgis
As I'd mentioned, the drain pan was clean before dropping the oil .....

WHOOPSIE !!!! ....I just remembered something .... OMG I'm such a dummy!!! Sorry guys... this post is a FAKE!!!

OMFG!!.. I am laffing at myself.... the oil filter was so tight that I couldn't get it loose with a filter wrench ... even tried a pipe wrench but there wasn't quite enuf room so... hahaha (and here's how the filings got into the drain pan) ... hahaha I drilled a large hole thru the oil filter, stuck a bar through it and twisted the filter loose. Of course, I had the drain pan under that so the metal filings are from me drilling the filter!!!

aaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhh.... I'm LOOSIN it !!!

ROTFLMAO!!

Oh cmon...its funny guys....hell, yall laugh about Harleys...

It looks like some of us were assuming it was possible to have twisted metal shavings practically pouring out of the innards of the bike!!

What a great April Fools Day joke. Lets save this one!

:moon:

:crackup:

Hey get one of these wrenches...it works! I think I bought this at Autozone or maybe O'Reilys...not sure.