That isnt the sugar coated answer i wanted to hear but that is how it is.:bawling: Im more concerned about the bushings being damaged or even wallered out due to being dry. I have read up on this and while i have to grease the swingarm i might as well install the zerks so this will be an easy job from here on out. Hopefully i will have some room to work to get the swingarm off. It rained all day yesterday and looks like it will today:rain2: so im gonna repair the class computer and dry the dessicant then i might tackle the swingarm today. I enjoy this bike and Momma really likes to go on rides with me because the rear seat is so comfortable.

Amen about Momma and the rear seat!

The swingarm pivots on tapered roller bearings, and the monoshock linkage has some type of hard plastic bushings. My 87 was in dire need of maintenance, but even still the bearings and bushings were OK. Cleaning, fresh grease, and careful reassembly (plus a couple new seals) and I was good to go.

I've read mixed reviews on installing zerks in the shock linkage, so I didn't do it. Some say that the years without zerks also lack sufficient space for the inserted grease to circulate and get on the whole bushing, so that disassembly is the only way to fully distribute the grease. There are nice looking places to install zerks, almost like they intended to.

Jeremy

• 1 month later...

I brought this up to see about grease zerks on my 86. My bike has 4 grease zerks on the swingarm. I just shot them up with synthetic grease. I would have thought that it came that way from the factory.

I'll look for more zerks.

Steve

Had to buy a large Metric Socket, take off Nuts to Greese the large swing arm bearings. You need large Torque wrench to re install.

The three cross bolts on the lower linkage need to be removed, cleaned and greesed if its never been done.

I installed zerks, there myself.

Had to buy a large Metric Socket, take off Nuts to Greese the large swing arm bearings. You need large Torque wrench to re install.

I installed zerks, there myself.

A 1&3/16 socket is sometimes easier to find, is a good fit too. I got a 6 point one for that & clutch basket nut.

Dont forget to grease the driveshaft spines also at this time. When I had my 89 VR swing arm out, I found the shaft was dry also. It isnt hard to do and I think there is some information on doing all of this in the tech library.

Good Luck..

Rick F.

NO-- The Pumpkin Oil Does NOT Lube the Drive Shaft !!!!!!!!

If you see oil dripping out the WEEP Hole at forward end of drive shaft Houseing, then you have a bad Oil Seal where the Shave goes into the Pumpkin !!

Trust me on this, I been there

I use chain lube for my swing arm. Didn't know if it would work but after 2 seasons I'm happy. I drilled a wee hole into the greasing areas, just the right size to squeeze (sorry Squeeze) in the tube that comes with the spray can. I take the load off of the rear and lay down on a piece of cardboard, and in 2 minutes have all the bearings dripping with grease. My therory is that the chain lube with it's propellant will work into much smaller areas than comparitively heavy grease. I do this everytime I change the oil and so far so good. Mind you, if your swing arm has not been off before, the whole situation may be different, I would suggest to drill the holes, insert the chain lube and bounce it up and down a number of times and then do it again. After this I would check to see where the chain lube is leaking from and so determine whether it's done the job or needs further attention. Drilling these small holes will not effect having to put zerks in later, if desired, because the holes are much smaller.