IGNORED

MP3 install

Guest bronson1

Guest bronson1

Hi fellow riders i have a 99 RSV i was consedering installing a MP3 player is their a way to permemantly install this player if so how is that done?

Thanks

Tim

I replaced my Cassette player with an XM Radio unit. Its not easy - the space if very tight. You could concievably replace it with an MP3 player - but it will have to be very small as you would want to remove it and replace the music on it. Also - think about how your going to power it. Most of the smaller players recharge from your PC, you need to get a car adapter to convert the 5v to mini USB (in most cases) charge the device.

Not trying to discourage you, just some food for thought prior to starting. Have fun and enjoy. Take pics and post when your done.

Stuart

I did away with the cassette player and added a pig-tail adapter to the amp. I ran the pig tail into the new "glove compartment" it is large enough for a garage door opener and an mp3 player. The job was a lot simpler than i imagined. Just use caution and don't make the storage compartment to deep or you will not be able reach loose items that seem to find their way to the baack of the compartment.

I did pretty much what Squidley did inside the fairing, but I ran my wire all the way back and through the rubber plug to the right of the mesh bag on the floor of the trunk.

I also bought a car charger for my music player. I took apart the cigarette lighter part and wired it to the battery using a relay activated fuse block and placed it under the seat. I ran the wire into the trunk with the audio wire. I have a reservoir mounted switch box that I use to turn the charger on and off.

I left about a foot of wire inside the trunk. Both wires are connected to an adapter because that's the way my player is designed. When I want to use the player I plug the adapter into the player and hold it there using a couple of pieces of good old duck tape, one on each side, to keep it attached. I turn it on, pick the playlist I want to use, then simply drop it into the mesh bag.

I use a Cowon iAUDIO player. It has a 30 gig hard drive. The drive contains pretty much all the music I have with some room left over. Because the player is loosely mounted the vibration that might kill the drive is not transferred directly to the player. Since it is placed vertically in the mesh bag the motion that does get to it tends to shake it in the direction that the drive heads are made to move in. Rather than hammering the heads against the platters it just skips. Since it's has a motion compensation system like what's been around in portable CDs for years it takes several good jars to actually skip. Way better than the CD player they sell for the bike.

I can't control the player from the audio pod on the handlebars, but I have several playlists I prepared using the computer and copied to the player. Each is over eight hours long, and contains music Irene and I like to listen to. The player is set to loop. I just turn it on and ride. I don't turn it off for short stops, though I will if we're stopping for a longer time - at a restaurant for example. Naturally, since it's on the AUX line I can still control volume.

This was harder to explain than to do. It's been to the top of Pike's Peak, which is a very rough road, and throughout much of Indiana, which can be pretty rough in places. I've had no problems. In the two and a half years I've been using this system all I've ever had to do is replace the duck tape that keeps the player and adapter plugged together.

I'm in the process of trying to install a video monitor either for a back up camera or just to have video has anyone installed a video monitor in the cass. hole I've found everything I think I need ,just gotta get the :mo money:to purchase would like to see pics if someone has done this

I was fortunate enough to have a hoon hardware mount for my XM radio attached to my brake master cylinder on the handlebars. I removed the XM because they began to talk to much and I was not paying for that. I bought a cheap touch screen MP3 player off ebay and just used velcro to mount it. I also used the flat top portion to do the same with my garage door opener. Very cheap and it looks good too.

You can buy a cassette case that reads an sd card with all your music, no wires to run. You pop it rite into your cassette deck and it plays rite thru your speakers. Some one on here mentioned it a few weeks ago and I ordered one, its pretty chintzy, but it works great, only downside it only plays random, dont think you can pick your song, it charges on your pc and plays 6-7 hrs on a charge. Just a thought. Craig

I've used an IPOD on my bike for several years. It really depends upon which IPOD you have. If you have the older "hard drive" type like I do, then I recommend not mounting it to solidly. A lot of people have experienced hard drive failure due to vibration. If you have the IPOD Nano with the flash drive then it won't be a problem. Now with my old style, I use a handlebar mount made by a company called Marware. It allows the IPOD to just hand like it would from your belt, not solidly mounted. I've never had any problems caused by vibration and I think its because the IPOD is able to move and not absorb the bumps and vibrations from the bike.

I have the Hopnel Tuxedo tank bib. The bib has a storage pocket the uses velcro to close the lid. I applied the loop half of Velcro to my MP3 player. The player, when in use, is pressed to the hook half of the storage pocket (very secure). The 3' wire runs under the bib and the plastic housing for the ignition back behind the triple trees and up to the auxiliary jack. I also have a Sirius radio mounted to the cassette pop open lid. When cruising I simply flip through the audio button choices to play the AM/FM, Sirius Radio or MP3. The player is stored in the bib storage pocket when not in use or when its raining. I know it is not a permanent install but is works very well if you have a velcro closured storage pocket on the tank or perhaps the fairing. Plus when I park the bike somewhere uncertain I can simply slip it into my pocket or locked in the saddlebags. The other thing about MP3 players is to add or delete songs you need to take it to your computer unless you use the mircro memory cards.

I have the Tom Tom 720 GPS, I use this with a RAM Mount, and custom bracket (sits flat against the brake master cylinder on the handlebars). Nice thing about this is it has an IPOD interface. So I keep my IPOD in the Hopnel Tuxedo pounch - but can control it through the interface on the GPS, while at the same time getting instructions. This coupled with a balence between the XMRadio mounted where the cassette was, and a splitter on the AUX, allows me the best of both worlds. Now .. all I need is a DVD player and I will be set :-)

Stuart

I've used an IPOD on my bike for several years. It really depends upon which IPOD you have. If you have the older "hard drive" type like I do, then I recommend not mounting it to solidly. A lot of people have experienced hard drive failure due to vibration. If you have the IPOD Nano with the flash drive then it won't be a problem. Now with my old style, I use a handlebar mount made by a company called Marware. It allows the IPOD to just hand like it would from your belt, not solidly mounted. I've never had any problems caused by vibration and I think its because the IPOD is able to move and not absorb the bumps and vibrations from the bike.

Freebird,

I do have the Nano, so I feel good about that. But what kind of cable do I need to get? I know the Venture has a connection within the cassette player housing. Not sure exactly what hardware I should have on hand.

You are in good shape then. All you HAVE to have is a 1/8" stereo patch cable. You can pick them up at any Radio Shack. Just plug one end into the headphone jack of your Nano and the other into the jack on the cassette player. Then put the audio system on AUX. Many of us split the fairing and put a splitter inside and run a new cable out to plug into. That just enables you to use it without the Cassette door being open all the time. There is a write-up on that procedure in the Second Gen Tech Library.

You are in good shape then. All you HAVE to have is a 1/8" stereo patch cable. You can pick them up at any Radio Shack. Just plug one end into the headphone jack of your Nano and the other into the jack on the cassette player. Then put the audio system on AUX. Many of us split the fairing and put a splitter inside and run a new cable out to plug into. That just enables you to use it without the Cassette door being open all the time. There is a write-up on that procedure in the Second Gen Tech Library.

Thanks Don!:bowdown:

That is exactly what I intend to do. Just ordered myself a NANO IPod and I'll be headed to Radio Shack to get the patch.;)

Thanks for the info, Freebird. I am also headed to our local Radio Shack tomorrow for a 1/8" stereo patch cable. Now I need to find a way to secure my iPod unto the bike/handle bars. Perhaps I need to checkout a case for my iPod and just use Velcro....:puzzled:

Well here is what I use. You also have to get a case that uses the button type clip on the back or add a button to an existing case. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions but this one has worked for me now for several years. Like I said, it is not a solid mount so allows the IPOD to work without absorbing all the vibration.

http://www.marware.com/PRODUCTS/Case-Accessories/Bike-Holder

Good idea, Freebird. That product is a possibility. I will also take a look at their generic iPod holder that may enable me to select tunes while riding. The plan was to ride over to Radio Shack, but it is raining this AM...so I'll just take the :mytruck: w/out the trailer.

Thought some of you might be interested in this.

Its posted at "thinkgeeks.com"

Looks like a niceclean and portable MO3 solution for the Venture antiquated cassette ?

You can also carry it around with you and listen. Seems like a nice solution

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/standalone_or_car_cassette_mp3_player.jpg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/alt-image-zoom.gifZoom http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/alt-image-more.gifMore Images

Will the cassette tape ever die?

In between the beloved LP record and the now familiar CD, there was another music media format - the cassette tape. It was very popular during the 80's and one thing that definitely made it standout was that, unlike a LP, you could easily record onto a cassette tape. Before that your recording options were primarily limited to reel-to-reel tape machines, which were usually pretty large and sometimes not so friendly. Being able to record onto cassette tape also lead to the ever popular "mix tape" - which was usually a collection of kick ass songs you'd give to your wannabe girlfriend or someone else you were trying to impress.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/other/standalone_or_car_cassette_mp3_player_embed.jpg This MP3 player is built into a standard cassette tape, letting you use it as either a uniquely old-school-style MP3 player, or with any car cassette or cassette player to play your music. You will have no problems listening to hours of your favorite songs via the built-in SD card slot, and you can easily change to different songs if you have multiple SD Cards. If you are into retro style looks but with a new technology upgrade, this is a MP3 player worth adding to your gear.

Just my two cents again. I have a Lowrance I350 GPS/MP3 that is susceptible to vibration. I solved this problem by attaching some sewn on velcro to my Joe Rocket tank bag, and adding glue backed velcro to the bottom of the GPS. It does not vibrate, I can see it perfectly, and it is easily removed for lockup.