IGNORED

Question About Rear Tire

GlennTuc

:thumbsup2:I've got a little over 7500 miles on my 08 RSV and the rear tire is showing it. How do I judge when I need to replace the tire? It still has tread on it, but I didn't notice any wear indicators. I would like to think I can get more than 7500 miles on a tire before replacing it. Anyway, once again I call upon the vast knowledge of fellow Venturers.:thumbsup2:

Change it when it shows it needs changed. The results of not changing it can be difficult (you can see what I mean when you read my soon to be posted story).

I got about 10K out of my original Brickstones. 16K out of my Avons (wore to the core at 16K - I should have checked them before). Recently only got about 4.5K out of a Dunlop D404.

It depends on how you ride, what your load is, and what - if anything - you are towing.

Overall, tires are relatively cheap if you are in control of when they get changed. If you have to get one changed in an emergency, they are VERY expensive.

Suggest www.swmototires.com for Avon Venoms.

RR

I've been running 404's and getting 9 - 10 K out of them (rear tire). I keep a close eye on tire pressure and started running nitrogen in the last set. Keeping your pressure up will increase tire life and handling. I use the " penny" test to check the tire tread, If I can see the whole head I'm gettin new tires:cool10:

:thumbsup2:I've got a little over 7500 miles on my 08 RSV and the rear tire is showing it. How do I judge when I need to replace the tire? It still has tread on it, but I didn't notice any wear indicators. I would like to think I can get more than 7500 miles on a tire before replacing it. Anyway, once again I call upon the vast knowledge of fellow Venturers.:thumbsup2:

Most tires have marks (some triangles) on the sidewalls , in-line in proportion to where the wear marks are in the tread , center of the tire . Rotate the tire all the way around to inspect the tire . I had a Dunlop which showed several more miles left of it on one side of the tire and on the 1/2 turn , I had cord showing . Remember , most flats are usually on the bottom of the tire ! :rotf:

When in doubt , put a new one on .

BEER30

I have no experience with the B-stones. I got 13,400 out of my 404s.

Look for the wear bars, but it really comes down to how comfortable you still are on that tire. I still had tread ledt when I changed mine, but felt like the handling was getting worse.

I put on Dunlop E3s and am very please. Put 280 miles on them yesterday, 60 or 70 of that int he rain, on the interstate, and the handled great.

I have no experience with the B-stones. I got 13,400 out of my 404s.

Look for the wear bars, but it really comes down to how comfortable you still are on that tire. I still had tread ledt when I changed mine, but felt like the handling was getting worse.

I put on Dunlop E3s and am very please. Put 280 miles on them yesterday, 60 or 70 of that int he rain, on the interstate, and the handled great.

I hear the elite 3's are comparable to the Metzlers and Avons. You can feel the difference between them and the lower level Dunlops by pressing the sides of the tires. A much stiffer compound. I almost went with the Elite 3 but hadn't varied from Metzlers till the Avon tire. Keep us posted on the wear.

I hear the elite 3's are comparable to the Metzlers and Avons. You can feel the difference between them and the lower level Dunlops by pressing the sides of the tires. A much stiffer compound. I almost went with the Elite 3 but hadn't varied from Metzlers till the Avon tire. Keep us posted on the wear.

They have about 7000 miles on them now. Corner great and show little wear. I'll post next summer when I have to replace them (at 18,000 :080402gudl_prv:). BTW, I keep my psi at max or 1-2 psi under.

They have about 7000 miles on them now. Corner great and show little wear. I'll post next summer when I have to replace them (at 18,000 :080402gudl_prv:). BTW, I keep my psi at max or 1-2 psi under.

I generally keep my psi close to max as well. I have a constant battle with a buddy of mine that runs 34-36 pounds in a 44 psi rated tire? I guess it's like the "what oil do I use battle".

I was thrilled to get 8000 on my Dunlop elite 2 and would be real happy to get 10-12000 on any tire. That would keep the wife off my ass for constantly buying tires:pushups:

I hope you get it!!

I got 8000 miles out of my stock Bridgestone on my 2007 Venture. I put on an Elite III and I'm at 5000 miles with about 40% worn off.

Is this solo or 2up? Is your bike loaded down? Just eyeballing it, I don't think my E3 is more than 30% worn with 7000 miles. Most my riding is solo, tires at max pressure and I am pretty easy on the throttle.

Mileage will absolutely vary depending on the individual and riding style. And I don't just mean who rides fast vs. slow. How you use the brakes and clutch will make much more difference. What wears out a tire is the changes in motion that tend to cause the tire to try and drag on the road. If you often change the throttle speed, slowing or accelerating fast enough to feel the change, you are wearing out your tires faster. The same is true of how you shift and match it with the engine speed. If you can feel the clutch engage, then your rear tire will wear out much faster than someone who shifts completely smoothly.

Even with all those variables, there still tends to be a pattern between tire brands. The stock Brickstone tires tend to wear out much faster than any other tire that I know of on the RSV. For many of us, 8,000 is about the max we can get out of that terrible tire, but as others have already shown, a few get better. I only got 8,000 from mine, but I get at least 14,000 out of an Avon Venom. The person who got 12,000 out a Brickstone rear would probably get 16,000 to 20,000 out of a Venom.

So at 7,000 miles, the OP's tire may quite possibly be shot, or it may not. Finding the tire wear indicators as described earlier is the only way to tell. However, IMHO, if he has a Brickstone instead of the Dunlop 404, those tires are so bad on this bike that he should really change it even if it is not shot. There is no way to convince some people to change a rear tire early, but when he finally gets to ride an RSV with good tires he will understand. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose