IGNORED

New motorcycle passenger bill introduced in Ontario ...

Guest BluesLover

I lived in Ontario when I was a kid...I got my indoctrination to the world of motorcycles when I was 10 when my cousin took me for a ride on his 1950 something Harley. That was the kind with the big, spring seat. Well, he hit some bumps and I wasn't hanging on...I musta flew 2 feet straight up in the air...I grabbed a big handful of his hair on the way up to keep myself from flying off the back ... well, that was a blast man! I was hooked from that day on!

Good thing there were NO LAWS then LOL!

Ok two questions:

1. Did his hair grow back?

2. Did he ever take you for a ride again?

That grabbing the hair musta really hurt.

Margaret

hmmmmmmmmm... now you made me think... maybe that's why I'm bald today! :rotf: :rotf:

Answer:

1. I don't recall if I pulled any out but if I did, it musta grew back!

2. Come to think about it...NO!! :crying:

Guest BluesLover
What's their definition of a 'highway'? Does that include any paved public road? Or does that only mean major arteries between towns? Just gotta wonder what the definitions are./quote]

The definition of a highway in the Ontario Traffic Act is:

A main road or thoroughfare, such as a street, boulevard, or parkway, available to the public for use for travel or transportation.

So, this would lead one to believe that it encompasses ALL roads.

Cheers,

"The Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act to prohibit driving or operating a motorcycle on a highway while a person under the age of 14 is a passenger on the motorcycle, with a view to promoting safety on Ontario's roads and protecting youth from preventable injuries. "

I wonder what other laws can be written for the same purpose?

"Youth" are injured:

in/by Cars

on bicycles,skateboards, roller skates/blades

playing school sports

walking down stairs while checking out a cute girl/boy

mowing the lawn

working the family farm/business

and that is just my short list of "dangerous" activities

Oh yeah, their gonna have to ban youth hockey! Can you imagine that in Canada?

Cheers,

my first bike ride was when i was 6 or so, i loved it. when i was 8 or 9 my cousin let me ride his 205 honda. rode dirt bikes or whatever and got my licence when of age and have never stopped riding.

both my children have grown up riding on the back since they were in kindergarden, always had the right size helmet on, made them wear gloves, jacket, long pants and tie up shoes or boots. my younger daughter still comes with me on rides and she is almost 19. my older daughter who is 22 has also driven my wifes bike and would like to get her licence one day and thinks it would be awesome to have her kids take their turn on the back with her driving.

everytime i go out to my brother in laws, my two nephews always want me to take them for a spin.

i do hope this law is not passed and i have sent an email in that regard.

Do you folks up there have that many motorcycle related child injuries/deaths to warrant such Legislation? :confused24:

Everyone I have seen here rides extra cautious when they have a child riding with them on a bike.

Exactly..!!!! man o man these polititions just don't know when to stop... Ok so one of them saw some young child on the back of a bike and started talking with the other idiots in Ottawa about it.... but to come up with with the age of 14..!!!???? Are they all drunk or were they remembering the age of consent for having sex..????(which was 14 till recently). THEY DRAGGED THEIR FEET ON THAT ONE FOR SOME REASON....

Hell thats pretty much the age I fully expect my daughters to start hating me because of all "MY" rules and regulations to safeguard their lives... Its probably too damn late to start building any relationship around touring with dear OLD dad on his bike at that point...!!!

Yes we need a law to protect the innocent children from those few feeble minded parents..., but lets at least consult with "MOTORCYCLISTS" OR THE "CMA", and maybe learn that reaching the pegs safely is number one rule, and no we are not out to harm our own children, just to expose them to the joys of 2 wheeled travel..

ONE MORE STUPID POLITICAL MOVE/LAW AND I'M MOVING...!!!!!

I have 2 daughters aged 4 and 2 1/2.....They soooo want to go for a ride, and I told them, soon, when you can reach the pegs and can hold on tight.... Now I will be made a liar...

Geez they already have to ride in booster seats in the car till they are over 80 lbs.....for some that could be close to high school...!!!

Can someone in Texas adopt me and my family..???

Edited by dr.nemo

My youngest daughter has been riding with me since she was 3. The oldest started at 7. Not interstate highwys to begin with, just easing along country roads to get them used to it. I've got a picture of me riding with my mom and dad when I was about 2, riding down the beach in Daytona.

Perhaps if they really need to pass a law like that, they should base it on something more realistic like height. Like all the carnivals, (you must be at least this tall to ride). The boy is 14 and is bigger and taller than I am. I'm 5'9", and he's been over 5 foot for at least a couple years now. while on the other hand, his Aunt is so short and petite that she almost has to use a booster seat in the car. LOL. Besides, there are helmets for kids, foot-pegs can be moved up if needed. We've made things safer for kids to ride in cars. The same thing can be done for motorcycles. Maybe not always as easily, but it can be done.

How about just passing a law forcing people to just use common sense?

Our problem in Canada is finding politicians with working brains. Here in New Brunswick, they were talking about bringing in a law that makes it illegal for anyone under 14 to operate any kind of motorized vehicle (atv, motorcycle, snowmobile, etc) UNLESS they are participating in organized racing... Apparently racing is safe and riding around the back yard isn't. I think it was passed, but I'm not sure. I didn't follow it too closely as my kids are grown and gone.

Too bad politicians can't find something useful to do instead of trying to protect us from ourselves. We are also the country that brought in gun registration. As if the criminals are going to register their guns before they commit a crime.

I hope it doesn't pass in Ontario. Can we outlaw politicians?????

Exactly..!!!! man o man these polititions just don't know when to stop... Ok so one of them saw some young child on the back of a bike and started talking with the other idiots in Ottawa about it.... but to come up with with the age of 14..!!!???? Are they all drunk or were they remembering the age of consent for having sex..????(which was 14 till recently). THEY DRAGGED THEIR FEET ON THAT ONE FOR SOME REASON....

Hell thats pretty much the age I fully expect my daughters to start hating me because of all "MY" rules and regulations to safeguard their lives... Its probably too damn late to start building any relationship around touring with dear OLD dad on his bike at that point...!!!

Yes we need a law to protect the innocent children from those few feeble minded parents..., but lets at least consult with "MOTORCYCLISTS" OR THE "CMA", and maybe learn that reaching the pegs safely is number one rule, and no we are not out to harm our own children, just to expose them to the joys of 2 wheeled travel..

ONE MORE STUPID POLITICAL MOVE/LAW AND I'M MOVING...!!!!!

I have 2 daughters aged 4 and 2 1/2.....They soooo want to go for a ride, and I told them, soon, when you can reach the pegs and can hold on tight.... Now I will be made a liar...

Geez they already have to ride in booster seats in the car till they are over 80 lbs.....for some that could be close to high school...!!!

Can someone in Texas adopt me and my family..???

Brian.

i will gladly adopt those two little angels, then you can stay "north of the border", and ride with NO worries,(other than getting run over by a cage)!

lol:cool10::cool10::dancefool::big-grin-emoticon:

just jt

Brian.

i will gladly adopt those two little angels, then you can stay "north of the border", and ride with NO worries,(other than getting run over by a cage)!

lol:cool10::cool10::dancefool::big-grin-emoticon:

just jt

Sorry JT... You get the whole famn damily....and I am a good eater... Whats for dinner..?? LOL..:witch_brew: :usa::usa:

The way I see it it is just another hair brained scheme by politicians with nothing better to do than figure out new avenues to collect money via fines. If they really want to keep our kids safe 1) scrap the young offenders act.

2) crack down hard on street punks and gangs and quit wasting time money and effort on a gun registry that has as much bite on crime as a toothless dog there are far too maney kids killed and hurt because of street violence start outlawing the crime itself regardless weather or not a weapon was used .

I hope they don't put this in place in Ont. if they do it won't be long before it gets into the rest of Canada. I was on the back of a gold wing when I was 8 years old and amagine that I am still here. I think that is also why I love bikes so much and I can't wait to take my son for a ride with me, but that will be a few years yet as he is only 9 months old.

Guest tx2sturgis

My first ride on a motorized 2 wheeler was when I was 6 years old, on the back of an orange, or maybe red, Honda Cub. My little buddy's dad had it, and took us for rides. I dont remember a whole lot from when I was 6 years old, but I DO remember that.

If children are exposed to the sport of motorcycling at a young age, they tend to appreciate and enjoy motorcycles later in life, or so it seems to me. And learning to ride, buying a bike, and riding it is good for the environment, isn't it?

Tell those stupid politicos to do something useful, like make it a criminal act to kill a biker 'accidentally'...

Cop: 'Yes maam, the rider and his child were pronounced dead.'

Cage driver: 'Oh officer, I'm so sorry I didnt SEE that guy on the bike!'

Cop: 'Hmm...well ok, I will have to write you a failure to yield....should cost about $125 bucks. Be careful next time, Ok? You can go now.'

What a friggin joke.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/justice/whatwerefightingfor.asp

Edited by tx2sturgis