I am set to change my oil and filter and the final drive gear oil. I bought Valvoline SAE 10W30 (4 qts) and gear oil Valvoline Synthetic. I know we can use GL3, GL4, or GL5 grade gear oil that is SAE 80 as stated by the 'MOM'. I got the Valvoline Synthetic Gear oil but it is SAE 80W90, GL5 instead if just saying SAE 80. Is this ok to use on mt '07 Venture?

I am set to change my oil and filter and the final drive gear oil. I bought Valvoline SAE 10W30 (4 qts) and gear oil Valvoline Synthetic. I know we can use GL3, GL4, or GL5 grade gear oil that is SAE 80 as stated by the 'MOM'. I got the Valvoline Synthetic Gear oil but it is SAE 80W90, GL5 instead if just saying SAE 80. Is this ok to use on mt '07 Venture?

I think it will be fine, but I have heard that once you use synthetic you have to keep using it. I honestly don't know why though.

I don't know why it would be true for motor oil. The only thing you shouldn't do is mix petroleum with synthetic.

I was pretty sure they sold a semi-synthetic that is just that. Or at least that is what I always thought. Good to know. If a semi-synth oil is not synthetic and dino blend, what the hell is it?

I am set to change my oil and filter and the final drive gear oil. I bought Valvoline SAE 10W30 (4 qts) and gear oil Valvoline Synthetic. ?[/quot

I have a question about the Valvoline 10W30. Was this for the bike's engine??? If it is, make sure it is a motorcycle specific oil. These bikes run wet clutches and some regular motor oils have friction reducers that may allow the clutches to slip.

As to the rear end lube, the Valvoline synthetic will be fine. I am running regular 90W but am thinking of putting a small amount of STP in with it. We did this for years in the differentals of automobiles and trucks with some good results.

Good luck with your ride.

I was pretty sure they sold a semi-synthetic that is just that. Or at least that is what I always thought. Good to know. If a semi-synth oil is not synthetic and dino blend, what the hell is it?

Good question, Sunman. They do make a semi-synthetic which is a blend. The advantage - less expensive than a synthetic. Disadvantage - will not provide as long a service life as synthetic. Why use it? - a trade off between extended drain intervals over a petroleum product, and less cost to install than a synthetic. It gives the consumer a choice. Some folks will never believe that extended drain intervals are acceptable. Some folks believe that modern technology has improved the ability of an engineered molecular composition to provide lubrication that exceeds the ability of fossil oils, and some folks fall inbetween. It gives us all a choice. How to choose? Learn the facts.

I think it will be fine, but I have heard that once you use synthetic you have to keep using it. I honestly don't know why though.

I have not seen a Synthetic that does not say compatible with dino oils.

Like some one else said, a syn blend it part dino and part syn. If syn was not compatible with dino, you would have to tear down your motor to get ALL the oil out because there is always a small amount that does not drain out.

I have not seen a Synthetic that does not say compatible with dino oils.

Like some one else said, a syn blend it part dino and part syn. If syn was not compatible with dino, you would have to tear down your motor to get ALL the oil out because there is always a small amount that does not drain out.

Simply put, the dino oil will reduce the service life of the synthetic, which cancels out part of the benefit of the synthetic (i.e. extended service life). That is why it is best to stick with synthetic if that is what you have in your crankcase. If you add a 7,000 mile dino to a 25,000 mile synthetic (for example), you have reduced the service life of the synthetic.

You might want to find some gear oil with Molybdenum Disulphide in it for the rear end of your bike.

It will make the gears run quieter and make them and the bearings in the rear end last longer.

------------------------------------

Kite Squid, what brand of gear ol has Molybdenum Disulphide in it? I couldn't locate any this summer when I was looking!

Thanks

Most GL-5 gear oils have some Moly in them...but not much.

Schaeffer 80W–90 Supreme Synthetic Gear Lube Has LOTS of moly, but is not a synthetic base. Bibb tools has it HERE

I want Schaeffer Moly Full Synthetic Gear Lube (#167) but it is not packaged in less than a 38 Lb pail....

Mr Moly makes an additive HERE

I could not find any product locally (I might have checked the truck stops but did not) and was going to change the rear tire out, so I could not wait for the mail to deliver some. When I had my rear tire off for replacement I lubed the splines with some Honda Moly60 paste and put a little bit in the rear end with some Amsoil synthetic gear oil. About the size of a pea. Look in THIS thread for more info.

BTW do NOT use gear oil with Moly in a limited slip rear end like in some cars. The moly will attack the copper in the plates...

I am set to change my oil and filter and the final drive gear oil. I bought Valvoline SAE 10W30 (4 qts) and gear oil Valvoline Synthetic. ?[/quot

I have a question about the Valvoline 10W30. Was this for the bike's engine??? If it is, make sure it is a motorcycle specific oil. These bikes run wet clutches and some regular motor oils have friction reducers that may allow the clutches to slip.

As to the rear end lube, the Valvoline synthetic will be fine. I am running regular 90W but am thinking of putting a small amount of STP in with it. We did this for years in the differentals of automobiles and trucks with some good results.

Good luck with your ride.

Hello Steve. Yes. I was talking about regular Valvoline 10W30 oil used for cars. I have seen 10W40 Valvoline motorcycle oil as well as 20W50 moto oil, but Advance Auto does not have 10W30 motorcycle oil and personally have not seen one. 'MOM' recommends SAE 10W30, so I am not sure at this point if car oil is ok with the Venture:confused:

I'm sure someone with more smarts than me will jump in with the paticulars, but I'm sure that the Valvoline car oil is NOT the best choice for a motorcycle with wet clutches. . There is a code on the oil bottle that you want to look for and I dont remember what it is.

As far as using 10W30, I still use Yamaha oil and since they have quit offering 10W40, I have switched to 10W50. While using the proper weight is important, it is not as important as having the right formula. And also regular maintance program. Just my most humble opinion. (That and a buck fifty will get you a Coke) :dancefool:

I got this from Second Generation Tech Talk:

You can change to any other brand of oil as long as it is formulated for Motorcycle use, in other words, don't use anything that says (energy conserving) on it because it has additives that are not good for wet clutches.

got this image off the internet

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff132/dddouble/Misc/API_donut.gif

note the text in the bottom of some of the doughnuts say "energy conserving"

Don't put oil in your engine that has the text "energy conserving" on it!!!!

You wont like what it does to your wet clutch that shares that oil......

Thanks guys. I should have known that to begin with...my bad. I will pickup 4 quarts of Valvoline Moto Oil 10W40 for the Venture on my way home. The manual recommends 10W30 or 20W40 Moto Oil, but I can't get them right now. I have used 10W40 moto oil on my Vulcan all winter long and it was fine.

Saturday morning was the day for my Venture's 600 mile maintenance. Replaced the oil with Valvoline 10W40 moto oil and used FRAM oil filter PH6017A. I also replaced the final drive fluid with Valvoline Synthetic Gear oil 80W90. Everything went smooth on the changing the enginer oil except the gear oil. Draining the gear oil is easy, but putting fresh gear oil is a task. To make everything easy, I took off the left side bag and the 'fill hole' was right there easy to access. I think I added apx. 0.2 quart of gear oil....

In addition, I was able to adjust the idle speed to 1000 rpm using my new clamp on EZ-Tach instrument. I am awaiting the arrival of the Carbtune II that is supposed to come in this Tuesday. I didn't want to wait until 8K miles, so I went ahead and lubricated some major moving parts on the bike as well.

Saturday morning was the day for my Venture's 600 mile maintenance. Replaced the oil with Valvoline 10W40 moto oil and used FRAM oil filter PH6017A. I also replaced the final drive fluid with Valvoline Synthetic Gear oil 80W90. Everything went smooth on the changing the enginer oil except the gear oil. Draining the gear oil is easy, but putting fresh gear oil is a task. To make everything easy, I took off the left side bag and the 'fill hole' was right there easy to access. I think I added apx. 0.2 quart of gear oil....

In addition, I was able to adjust the idle speed to 1000 rpm using my new clamp on EZ-Tach instrument. I am awaiting the arrival of the Carbtune II that is supposed to come in this Tuesday. I didn't want to wait until 8K miles, so I went ahead and lubricated some major moving parts on the bike as well.

Just a quick note about that. I too recently drained and filled my rear diff, only because I wanted to do it, not that it was anywhere near time to do it. And my good friend Charlie (dragerman) gave me some fantastic advice, which is the only kind he ever gives out. I went to wal-mart, and right where he said it would be was a small tool call "The Miximizer" yes I spelled it right. What it is, is a fairly large syringe, with a clear flexible tube attached. I think it's original purpose was for mixing oil and gas, or something like that, but what it DOES, is make adding gear oil a snap. Filled the syringe, and bent the tubing into the add hole, and squeezed it in. Perfect. Not sure how else you could do it, without taking the bag off. Thanks again Charlie!!

I knew I can count on Venture riders here for some advice. Later today or tomorrow, I am going to look for that 'Miximizer' at our local Walmart. That is a great tool:lightbulb:! Initially, I was looking for a short hose in my garage but I did not have anything available. My last resort was to take off the left bag. Thanks for the great information, Sunman.

I knew I can count on Venture riders here for some advice. Later today or tomorrow, I am going to look for that 'Miximizer' at our local Walmart. That is a great tool:lightbulb:! Initially, I was looking for a short hose in my garage but I did not have anything available. My last resort was to take off the left bag. Thanks for the great information, Sunman.

Make sure the wife not looking then when she not around to catch you steal her basting tool. Be verrrry careful, getting caught could subject you to severe consequences

Me too, none at Wally World and none on the internet. I decided to use an electric handheld vacuum pump used in laboratories with a clear pipette that will reach the final drive gear oil. On my next gear oil change, I will post some pics of the device.