IGNORED

Think I need some clutch help............

I know that Pegscraper has a thread going about his 96, but not sure if that is all relative to my 2007.

I have noticed that my clutch is slipping some lately, though it is only when the bike cold. Once she is warmed up and ridden for 5-10 minutes all is good. Then today it 'clunked' going into to 1st gear when I first took off (I had let it run for about 2 minutes before leaving). I didn't think a lot about until it 'clunked' going into 1st again tonight when I left work.

Any thoughts on what is wrong and how to fix it? Should I change the fluid? DO I need new springs or what?

BTW I have a little over 29k miles on it now.

yep, your spring is getting weak. Time to replace it. Mine started slipping only when cold and gradually started slipping more and more and more and then......a little bit more.

I redid my clutch with new discs. I did not want to chance tearing it down and finding the discs worn. They're only 8 bucks a piece. I also removed the half plate and installed a full plate. My can now loft the front end of my 99.

The clutch is a wear item, like tires and brakes. It is not generally covered under warranty. You might want to review the service manual and see how much of a job it is to do it yourself. If I remember correctly, it was $3-400 for the dealer to replace mine. This was before I started doing my own wrenching.

Good Luck.

RR

yes, the clutch is a wear item, but it still has a "life expectancy" warranty. On a bike that is 2 years old with only 20,000 on the clock, the clutch should not be slipping.

I think it's safe to say that you can forget about this Argument. I can shred a Clutch even without putting a hundred Miles on the Odo, on a 2Gen that is. On a 1Gen, no Miles counted during that Process.

They will argue with wrong Riding Habits and even will get out of Court with that.

Nate,

Give me a call I just replaced mine this summer with the PCW upgrade. Its easy. do not pay the dealer. I shouldn't take more then an hour. If we add some beers then maybe 3hrs:confused24:

Nate...Take David up on that, dont let a dealer get ahold of it. Buy the PCW kit and be done with it. I can have a clutch completely changed out in 30 minutes and without draining the oil.

Nate,

Give me a call I just replaced mine this summer with the PCW upgrade. Its easy. do not pay the dealer. I shouldn't take more then an hour. If we add some beers then maybe 3hrs:confused24:

Thanks Dave, I would rather do it my self and not even have to deal with the dealer. Where is the best place to get the kit and what exactly do I need?

speaking of clutches and stuff. can anyone tell me how to tell an-h- basket from a-I- basket??I just replaced my spring and my basket. pretty sure I took out the -I-- basket, but could not find an -I- on it any where....and by the way it is very easy to change the spring. good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

How old is the oil and what thickness. Sometimes dirty oil will make it clunck into first gear and it's getting colder so if your oil is too thick it can clunck untill it warms up.

Just another idea to look at along with the new kit. hope it fixes your problems

Brad

How old is the oil and what thickness. Sometimes dirty oil will make it clunck into first gear and it's getting colder so if your oil is too thick it can clunck untill it warms up.

Just another idea to look at along with the new kit. hope it fixes your problems

Brad

I did an oil change about 1500 miles ago and running Rotella (5-30 I think?). This problem started about 1000K miles ago. Btw this is my 3rd oil change with rotella.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks to all involved with this thread....Found it when doing some research into my issue. Just installed the PCW clutch upgrade and she acts like a whole new bike. I love it, but have a feeling it is going to get me into trouble...hehehe:whistling:

Just wanted to say thanks to all involved with this thread....Found it when doing some research into my issue. Just installed the PCW clutch upgrade and she acts like a whole new bike. I love it, but have a feeling it is going to get me into trouble...hehehe:whistling:

Ditto, I did the PCW upgrade after I started this post (with Riderduke's help) and all is good now, definitely a stronger clutch.

I know that Pegscraper has a thread going about his 96, but not sure if that is all relative to my 2007.

I don't think I saw this the first time around. Just for the record, as far as the clutch goes, the '96 - '01 Royal Stars are the same thing as the '99 and newer RSVs. Glad you're happy with yours. I have yet to do mine, but it will certainly have to happen this summer.