IGNORED

Roll-on engine vibration

Guys,

Just got an 03 RSV this weekend. Coming off of an ST1100. I know the RSV is supposed to be smoother than a Vtwin but I've never been on a vtwin, but comparing to the V4 on the ST1100, the RSV has a lot (compared to the St1100) of vibration when you roll-on the power hard. Is this normal? The PO told me he has done all of mods on this site, synced carbs, replaced all fluids, new tires and brakes.

Thanks, and I look forward to exploring this site and all of wisdom that has been shared.

Are you reving it? These bikes NEED to be reved high or they are gonna shake if you run it like a VTwin..Usually i do not shift to 5th till about 65 or so..If I am in a hurry sometimes im notr out of third till 70 or so,have been to about 90 in 3rd.Try That,I think it will solve the problem.

Try running a $6.00 can of Seafoam from your local auto parts store,

dump the whole can in with a full tank of gas and run the Crap out of it.

Make shure its warmed up good before you run it hard but this stuff works wonders. If that does not work return to this site for further instructions.

There my be someone close to you that can help also.

Gary

I had an ST1100. The longitudinal V is a lot smoother than the RSV. Run the RSV up in RPM and it will be smoother. Tom is correct. Lugging down to 2-3 grand will produce a vibration at roll-on. I usually shift at 4000 running easy and 5000 when hitting on ramps. The motor really enjoys the 4-6 area. I have a 1986 which has a different gearing - same motor. I run 70-75 at 4000-4400. It is like a magic sweet spot.

JB

Guys,

... the RSV has a lot (compared to the St1100) of vibration when you roll-on the power hard. Is this normal? The PO told me he has done all of mods on this site, synced carbs, replaced all fluids, new tires and brakes.

Thanks, and I look forward to exploring this site and all of wisdom that has been shared.

I went from a V-Star 1100 to this V4 and until I read posts on this site, I felt the same thing.

I would be in 4th or 5th, get on the gas an fee that vibration/thump, with disappointing power.

Since reading posts here, I down shift 1 or 2 gears and let it REVVVVVVVVVVVVVV.

This bike REALLY likes high RPM's. Let it go until it does not go any futher, then shift.

After a few times of that, you'll shift better, earlier.

Amazing how quick this bike is.

Had the joy of DUSTING a HD the other day at a light, he tried to keep/catch up, but couldn't. I let him pass after slowing down from 90 to 50(in a 40, whoops).

:thumbsup:

Mitch

You did not say when you were experiencing the roll on vibration.

If it is in all gears all the time, then something is wrong, plugs, carb synch or dose of seafoam is needed as noted above.

If you are seeing it in 4th or 5th gears at lower speeds (40 to 50) , then you are probably lugging the motor down. As noted above these motors like to rev and 4th and 5th gears are both overdrives, so unless you upwards to 60 or 70 mph, rolling on the throttle hard in 4th or 5th is likely to give you some vibrations no matter how well the engne is tuned. This bike will run 90 mph in third gear and still have room before you hit the rev limiter.

Just some thoughts.

3,000 RPM in 5th gear is 70 MPH - that is about the slowest you want to be going in overdrive if you grab a big handful of throttle. 50 in top gear is OK for easy cruising, but not acceleration. For even moderate acceleration in 5th you want to be doing at least 60. If I was gonna hammer it at 50, I'd be in third!

That bike has a rev limiter that hits at 6,500 RPM, so you can't hurt the engine by just rapping it out to the max. Until you have hit the limiter in second and third gear, you don't have any idea what the bike can do. Make sure you have some open road when you try it - you'll be over 90 in third before you feel it falter.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Have you had a fistful Converation recently ?

Sounds like someone has beaten some Sense back into you...

:sign20:

heck no .... and I'll have even less sense come next spring...or maybe I'll just keep the '87 as a second scoot....just so I can smoke a Harley (or a 2nd gen) from time to time.

:D

:sign20:

heck no .... and I'll have even less sense come next spring...or maybe I'll just keep the '87 as a second scoot....just so I can smoke a Harley (or a 2nd gen) from time to time.

:D

I've heard the Canadian Portion of the VMAX Batch isn't sold out yet. This would make perfect Sense to me, you could smoke them all. Might need to negotiate the Price a bit, but that shouldn't be much of a Task.

I've heard the Canadian Portion of the VMAX Batch isn't sold out yet. This would make perfect Sense to me, you could smoke them all. Might need to negotiate the Price a bit, but that shouldn't be much of a Task.

so you're really trying to brainwash me into buying a VMax huh? Well, I'd love to have one but not as a "first bike". On second thought, if I did have one, I'd probably kill myself on it ..... nope, not gonna have one...nosiree!

so you're really trying to brainwash me into buying a VMax huh? Well, I'd love to have one but not as a "first bike". On second thought, if I did have one, I'd probably kill myself on it ..... nope, not gonna have one...nosiree!

No Sir, i'm not brainwashing you or talking you into buying a Bike that you fear. Sure not. I was just offering an Option. The world's most powerful stock Bike, but it seems to be more than your Mind can handle. :256:

I tell you what, i even fear my Max every Day i ride once or twice, but hey, that's what's keeping me alive. RESPECT, that's what i'm talking about. :173:

A good friend of mine put a 500 buck deposit on the new VMAX a couple of weeks ago and the local dealer called him back a couple of days later to say he had to refund his deposit as the dealership couldnt get any more VMAX's this year! I dont understand why the dealer might not want to hunt one down for my friend, but they are known for being lazy....

I dunno whether to beleive this dealer as he has told some tall tales before..... personally I dont deal with him, I will drive 30 minutes to Moose Jaw and deal with a real dealer.

So what I really wanna know is, are the new VMAX's really sold out?

Brian

Edited by friesman

A good friend of mine put a 500 buck deposit on the new VMAX a couple of weeks ago and the local dealer called him back a couple of days later to say he had to refund his deposit as the dealership couldnt get any more VMAX's this year!

I dunno whether to beleive this dealer as he has told some tall tales before..... personally I dont deal with him, I will drive 30 minutes to Moose Jaw and deal with a real dealer.

So what I really wanna know is, are the new VMAX's really sold out?

Brian

From what i'm reading online, there are Bikes left to sell. No 'Sold out' Report so far. The canadian Price is a bit on the high Side, as for all other Countries than US. The German 300 Units Portion is sold out per Quote of my Dealer. But if you want a serious Answer, you need to call Yamaha Canada.

If Yamaha says they're sold out, you can allways go to US and buy one there. There is a Guy who ordered two Bikes and wants to sell one due to personal Issues. I don't know where in US he's coming from, but i could gather that Information. IIRC, he's from a eastern State.

Rode her again last night and into work this morning first time since the weekend (been raining here). Got the rev's up and all is much better. Still not as smooth as my old ST1100 but I don't know that any bike has an engine that smooth. The RSV is a nice bike and you guys are right, she's pretty quick. Other surprising thing is how quickly it handles. It seems that the RSV is quicker on steering manuevers at highway speeds than the ST1100 even though it was a sport touring bike.

Already started looking for farkles but after going down today or tomorrow to pay sales tax, property tax, and registration fees, I'm thinking next spring before the first farkle gets attached. Thanks guys, look forward to visiting with you all through the forums.

Rode her again last night and into work this morning first time since the weekend (been raining here). Got the rev's up and all is much better. Still not as smooth as my old ST1100 but I don't know that any bike has an engine that smooth. Thanks guys, look forward to visiting with you all through the forums.

I had an ST1100 ABS/TCS for 5years. Smooth like a sewing machine and you can grab a handfull of front brake in the rain and not have to clean your shorts afterward. Smoother than the FJR1300 I rode before settling on an RSTD. The V4 RS Yamaha engine is smooth, but not Honda smooth. I've forgotten to downshift the ST before and pulled 5th gear from below 2000 rpm.

Keep in mind that carb sync is not a set it and forget it item. They will go out of sync over time, I don't remember the interval, but its either every 8K or 16K miles, so depending on when the Previous owner had it done (and by whom), it may be due. A good mixture adjustment using an EGA will help smooth thing s out on the bottom as well. You definitely have to find someone who knows what they are doing. Depending on mileage or just for GP going over all the engine mount bolts with a torque wrench is also a good idea.

RSTDdog

Hey RSTDdog, thanks for the suggestions. I took it for about a 300 mile trip over the weekend. The trip out was 2-lane 65mph with short stops/traffic lights in small towns every 10-15 miles, return trip 100% interstate, doing about 82mph indicated. The PO said he synced the carbs but I'm not sure about it. Got 34mpg for the trip, seems kind of low to me (again used to 45+mpg on the ST with two up and fully loaded bags)

While the engine is smoother at higher revs, it still feel it feels mostly like the "miss" or "roughness" is just at a higher RPM so not quite as noticeable. Seems to have plenty of power so am doubting that it is actually missing, but even at 80MPH indicated, you still get some vibration when pulling power or load in OD. I probably should have driven another one or two before I finalized the deal on this one just to make sure I understood the characteristics of the motor, mostly just to make sure it is acting like it should. I'm going to throw some seafoam in it this week and just start looking around on it a bit, check the spark plugs (which the PO said he changed as well), etc.

If anyone is in the KC area has one and would have a few minutes this coming weekend to take a look/listen and see if it is the just the nature of the beast and I need not be concerned, I would sure appreciate it. Assuming the weather is reasonable, I could probably meet someone just about anywhere in the KC-Lawrence area.

Oh, by the way, I have the shock squeak and the tranny whine. But frankly, it really doesn't bother me at all.