IGNORED

Well Crap,,,my boy did it again

jblack1036

Hey all,

I'm just getting back from Iraq and wanted to get the scoot out for a spin and knock the cob webs out of the exhaust.

Well, lets just say when I opened the garage door I was not happy with what I found. Seems my boy decided to spray paint his dirt bike while I was gone. He took a can of white spray paint and commenced to spraying without taking any precaution to my bike sitting beside it. Needless to say, My bike has little specks of white all over it. The seats, the chrome, the bags....OH BOY......I'm really not happy with him.

So instead of riding, I'm trying to find away to rub the white dots out without ruining the paint.

Do any of you on this wonderfull site have any suggestions.

Jim:bang head::smash2:

I have used Turtle Wax Ice Clay Bar but not to remove paint over spray. This is info from their site

Good Luck

Keith

Product Benefits

• Easily removes minor scratches, swirls marks, tree sap, paint overspray and embedded dirt and stains that ordinary detailing clays leave behind.
  • Creates smooth as glass finish on all paintwork, fiberglass and metal surfaces.
  • Does not contain harsh abrasives that can scratch or scuff your finish.

SKUs

T-466

16 oz.

http://www.turtlewax.com/img/products/pd_ice_liquidclaybar.jpg

Hey all,

I'm just getting back from Iraq and wanted to get the scoot out for a spin and knock the cob webs out of the exhaust.

Well, lets just say when I opened the garage door I was not happy with what I found. Seems my boy decided to spray paint his dirt bike while I was gone. He took a can of white spray paint and commenced to spraying without taking any precaution to my bike sitting beside it. Needless to say, My bike has little specks of white all over it. The seats, the chrome, the bags....OH BOY......I'm really not happy with him.

So instead of riding, I'm trying to find away to rub the white dots out without ruining the paint.

I am not a paint guy, just a car guy from way back and Ive used a clay bar that you buy at any automotive store. Ive used it to clean off tar, tree sap and lots of other stuff, so i think it will work with tiny droplets of paint too. Sposed to be safe for all paints, but better wait for the paint guys to chime in here.

(I did use it to clean small droplets of paint off my scoots front fender after i bought the bike, and it worked fine on my 85 1st gen.)

Brian

adding more info

Hey all,

Do you know what kind of paint was in the can ie: enamel, lacquer, urethane?

If it was cheap enamel and you catch it soon enough, you might try a commercial wax and grease remover available at auto body supply stores.

Edited by DANJ

Welcome back, and Thanks for your service, having overspray all over your bike is a bummer, but you made it back in one piece and I am sure your son is glad to see ya, now alittle father/son bonding with a rag and some mineral spirits. Good Luck, Craig

It DOES depend on what type of paint but tend to agree with Redneck and Mini-Muffin...

Paint thinner used very sparingly on a clean rag in your son's hand. Also works on chrome.

Have you considered repainting... your boy's bike? Pink comes to mind...

Thanks for your service!! Glad you made it back in one piece.

Be very carefull using lacquer thinner, It WILL eat your paint!! It is very aggressive to all paints. If you are going to use it on cleaning off the overspray, damp clean rag only. It will not hurt the chrome, but do NOT use it on plastic!!

Spray can paint is usually enamel base. A damp lacquer rag should work, but be very carful. Hopefully you had some wax on the paint. If you did, it should come off. You might have to use some pollishing compound on the paint after you are done. The pollishing compound should bring the shine back. When you are happy with the shine, rewax. Good Luck

Years ago when I was working at Texas Utilities, some contractors got over spray on a lot of our cars in the parking lot. The company brought in an auto detailing company who specialized in some things to clean them all up. They washed the cars well, used a razor blade to carefully remove most of the overspray and then a clay bar to get the rest. They then waxed the cars. They turned out beautiful.

Years ago when I was working at Texas Utilities, some contractors got over spray on a lot of our cars in the parking lot. The company brought in an auto detailing company who specialized in some things to clean them all up. They washed the cars well, used a razor blade to carefully remove most of the overspray and then a clay bar to get the rest. They then waxed the cars. They turned out beautiful.
Funny years ago i used to paint commersial building and have been there also with cars. on time we had a hose burst in a airlss sprayer white Latex (luckily) went all over this nice red BMW and the owner was sittign in the car on his phone. He never even got out of the car while i hosed oss the latex. :confused24:

When I bought my 99 RSV it had custom painted images on the tank and trunk lid. The dealer used easy-off oven cleaner to remove the custom paint without hurting the clear coat.

I have watched pinstrippers use easy off to take old pinstrips and murals off of bikes and not hurt the paint. The bike owners were nervous though.

first i would wash it with a good car wash soap, if overspray is still there, after drying, then use a lite coat of wd-40 and let sit for about half hour. then with a soft rag rub down the bike with the wd-40. if any is left use others suggestion. i have worked with lacquer thinner and it will tarnish your paint or give your a wrinkle effect on your bike. lac. thinner will dull chrome some if left on long. eat plastic up. also white's bleach-all for cleaning whitewall will dull chrome and plastic.