IGNORED

Changing the Fuel Filter

Changed my fuel filter yesterday and is it just me or does anyone else think that something as basic as a fuel filter should be a lot easier to do?

Why would they make something like that so hard to get at unless it was to make work for mechanics at dealerships?

The nut that the roll over valve uses is almost impossible to get your fingers on and I have small hands. Even hard to get a wrench back there.

Wouldn't that be a good place for a welded nut instead of a loose one?

Anyway, got it done and I'd do it again to save the cost of labor but it sure was a PITA.

Has anyone found an easier way?

I have heard it it a royal PITA.........to change out...

I am about to tackle that task this weekend, but I am thinking of installing a piece of steel tubing in the gas line hose in the same place of the existing fuel filter, and then installing an "inline filter" right next to the gas on/off valve under the left hand side of the gas tank...

A one time PITA, but then it would be a simple task from then on. :whistling:

Your right, I think this is all well planned in advance. The 83 was bad enough, but this one takes the cake. Before I go to Ft. Collins, I'll be hitting 80k on my 99, and will be changing it for the 3rd time, not looking forward to it. Worst than that is changing the stupid headlight bulb. I can't even get my hand in there, and it's too much work to take the whole fairing off. Had to go into the dealer the last couple of times, and they had a small guy with a small hand, and it still took him 35-40 minutes to get his hand in there to change it.:confused24:But it's still better than some of the bikes they make (#1-being a Honda Gold Wing), as it takes tons of time just to get the fairing's off to do simple jobs. Well, this is for Yamaha headquarters :buttkick:.

Your right, I think this is all well planned in advance. The 83 was bad enough, but this one takes the cake. Before I go to Ft. Collins, I'll be hitting 80k on my 99, and will be changing it for the 3rd time, not looking forward to it. Worst than that is changing the stupid headlight bulb. I can't even get my hand in there, and it's too much work to take the whole fairing off. Had to go into the dealer the last couple of times, and they had a small guy with a small hand, and it still took him 35-40 minutes to get his hand in there to change it.:confused24:But it's still better than some of the bikes they make (#1-being a Honda Gold Wing), as it takes tons of time just to get the fairing's off to do simple jobs. Well, this is for Yamaha headquarters :buttkick:.

Rich,

It is difficult, but can be done. If you have a MC jack, lift it up. This allows you to get to the proper angle to get your hand in there. I was never able to do it on the ground, but tried it while the bike was up (changing to levelling links). Low and behold, I could reach the light from the left side. I have big hands (XXL gloves), but was still able to fit. Wasn't easy, but very doable.

Good luck.

RR

Eck

I'll be interested to see what you do with the other in line filter too.

Rich99

I'm one of those guys with small hands and have changed my bulb twice without splitting the fairing but its a squeeze. If you want to change your bulb and it can wait until Ft Collins I'd be happy to do it for you there.

RedRider

Have to try it when up on the lift. Good tip!

You will get it down after 3 times ! :)

I can do it in about 15 Min's now :whistling:

I just did it again last week. This last

time though I left the little nut in my tool box.

The roll-over valve seems to be sitting there just

fine on it's own. I even replaced that as well.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
Eck

Rich99

I'm one of those guys with small hands and have changed my bulb twice without splitting the fairing but its a squeeze. If you want to change your bulb and it can wait until Ft Collins I'd be happy to do it for you there.

RedRider

Have to try it when up on the lift. Good tip!

Thanks Gary, I'm good to go for now, but thanks for the offer. I guess I'll have to try putting it up on the stand next time. Now will somebody tell me why they just didn't make it to where you could take the chrome off, and pull the whole headlight assembly out like you could on my 83???:confused24:

Eck

The nut that the roll over valve uses is almost impossible to get your fingers on and I have small hands. Even hard to get a wrench back there.

Wouldn't that be a good place for a welded nut instead of a loose one?

I used some sticky stiff (same texture as bubble gum) and put a dab on my finger, then put the nut in the sticky stuff so I would not drop it. It stuck to my finger to get the screw back into it easily..

(quote=wkboard)

If you do it and post picture do we have to call it "the ECK Mod"?:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I relocated my fuel filter.....(see enclosed marked up photo).. :thumbsup2:

Thanks for posting that "Eck Mod" Eck. :) Maybe I can take a look at it along with your other mods at Ft Collins. Good idea about the sticky stuff to hold the nut on your finger. Man, your full of good ideas!

Cougar's response about leaving that little nut off with no problems made me wonder if something simple like a zip tie would hold the roll over valve in place nicely.

Cougar's response about leaving that little nut off with no problems made me wonder if something simple like a zip tie would hold the roll over valve in place nicely.

Im sure a zip tie would work, it surely would not go anywhere, but I think it would be hard to get your hands in there to wrap it around the valve, get the end through the locking end, and then pull it tight...

You could also use the rubber "seal tape" (sticky on both sides) that I often speak of.

Just put a piece of it the gold coloured bracket and then push the valve on to it..then it can be easily removed and restuck over and over.

I guess I am confused now.

Why do you guys find the fuel filter hard to change?

1. Take the seat off

2. Remove battery cover (both sides).

3. Remove the plug wires from the cover in front of the filter.

4. Slide out the front cover to the right side of bike

5. Slide the boot holding the fuel filter to left side of bike

6. Remove hose from the top of filter

7. Filter will now drop below bracket and pull filter to the right side of bike

8. Remove bottom hose

9. reverse the process

takes about 30 minutes.

Yes, I do wish they would put the filter in a better location too.

Also what nut is every one talking about when removing the fuel filter?

The only thing I remove during this process is bolts with no nuts except for the ones welded to the frame.

:confused24:

Hey buddy, We know YOUR confused..lol...

I think this is because you have a MECHANIC.......

and we dont..sniff, tear, sniff...

Well, I didnt say it was hard to change, but I know from now on, Ild be willing to bet that mine will be a whole lot easier to change than most any others out there.....

1. Take the seat off

7. Filter will now drop below bracket and pull filter to the right side of bike---good point here.. I didnt do this, I pulled it out on th eleft side after removing the fuel pump which gave me all kinds of room.

8. Remove bottom hose

9. reverse the process

takes about 30 minutes. (pretty close --I would agree bud!!!)

And now you know why I relocated mine...

The only thing I remove during this process is bolts with no nuts except for the ones welded to the frame.

There is a phillip head screw located just to the left of the fuel filter.

This phillip head screw goes thru the white plastic hose clamp thru the gold colored bracket and there is a nut on the aft side that will fall off and be a roayal PITA to find if it does not fall all the way through to the bottom / floor..

Looking forward to seeing you two again ....(Ft collins)..

This is not hard folks.. And I see no reason on having that little nut

holding the ROLLOVER VALVE there. that is the rollover valve that has

the nut on it.

that is next to the Filter.. should be on the other side though.

I have had no problems in a year with the rollover valve not being

bolted to the bike. there is NO ROOM in there for it to tip over.

As far as the filter. I do not even remove the fuel pump anymore.

this project takes about 15 Min's to do at best.

If you feel it needs to be I think ECKs Idea would work great! :)

Jeff

The ROLLOVER VALVE prevents the fuel from running out of the tank

if your bike is laying on its side. that valve is attached to the Vent

Hole on your gas tank under the plastic bib on the tank.

Hey buddy, We know YOUR confused..lol...

I think this is because you have a MECHANIC.......

and we dont..sniff, tear, sniff...

Well, I didnt say it was hard to change, but I know from now on, Ild be willing to bet that mine will be a whole lot easier to change than most any others out there.....

1. Take the seat off

7. Filter will now drop below bracket and pull filter to the right side of bike---good point here.. I didnt do this, I pulled it out on th eleft side after removing the fuel pump which gave me all kinds of room.

8. Remove bottom hose

9. reverse the process

takes about 30 minutes. (pretty close --I would agree bud!!!)

And now you know why I relocated mine...

This phillip head screw goes thru the white plastic hose clamp thru the gold colored bracket and there is a nut on the aft side that will fall off and be a roayal PITA to find if it does not fall all the way through to the bottom / floor..

Looking forward to seeing you two again ....(Ft collins)..

Eck, that just it, I do not remove any screw to the left of the fuel filter, only screw I remove holds the front cover at the top in place and this is front of the filter, with no loose nut, its welded to the frame/bracket. And I do not know what white plastic hose you are referring too. Next time I replace the filter or have the battery covers off I am going to be looking for the white plastic hose.

:confused24::confused24::confused24::confused24:

We are not going to Ft.Collins, moving into our new house at the end of the month, so we are taking vacation time for the move. We were both really looking forward to the trip too.

Eck, that just it, I do not remove any screw to the left of the fuel filter, only screw I remove holds the front cover at the top in place and this is front of the filter, with no loose nut, its welded to the frame/bracket. And I do not know what white plastic hose you are referring too. Next time I replace the filter or have the battery covers off I am going to be looking for the white plastic hose.

Its a white p clamp, not a white plastic hose, that holds the the roll over valve in place and its immediately in front of the fuel filter when you are working from the left side of the bike. Not sure how you would get at the fuel filter without moving the fuel pump and roll over valve out of the way.

Its by no means impossible to do but sure should be easier than it is.

Its a white p clamp, not a white plastic hose, that holds the the roll over valve in place and its immediately in front of the fuel filter when you are working from the left side of the bike. Not sure how you would get at the fuel filter without moving the fuel pump and roll over valve out of the way.

Its by no means impossible to do but sure should be easier than it is.

I have never removed the fuel pump or this rollover valve.

I just slide the rubber boot that holds the filter to the towards the fuel pump, remove the top hose, and filter drops below the bracket, and I pull the filter to the right side of the bike.

Is this rollover valve something that should be replaced each time I replace the fuel filter?

:confused24:

You do no need to change the rollover valve , some have

had it stick I replaced mine @ $24.00 last month thinking

that my tank was not venting... That was not the problem.

There is a little ball in the valve that closes when the bike is

laying on it's side.. maybe I will do a cross section of my old

valve and post it here this week :)

Jeff

Sleeperhawk, your killing me bud..lol..

I didnt say its a plastic hose...

I said:

This phillip head screw goes thru the white plastic hose clamp thru the gold colored bracket and there is a nut on the aft side that will fall off and be a royal PITA to find if it does not fall all the way through to the bottom / floor..

So please dont be removing your side covers and waste time looking for a white plastic hose...lol :rotf:

It is also true that the fuel filter can be changed out in 30 minutes (or less), but I wanted to relocate mine to make it even easier to change.

The only problem I have now is, that I visually noticed when the gas ran out of the old filter and landed on the black frame that is under the fuel pump and left side cover, it "stained" the black frame.

I used wax and tried to polish it all off, but to no avail..

Dont know why it would stain the black frame, but it did.

Im trying different things now to remove the stain..

Eck

We are not going to Ft.Collins, moving into our new house at the end of the month, so we are taking vacation time for the move. We were both really looking forward to the trip too.

Sleeperhawk, your killing me bud..lol..

I didnt say its a plastic hose...

I said:

This phillip head screw goes thru the white plastic hose clamp thru the gold colored bracket and there is a nut on the aft side that will fall off and be a royal PITA to find if it does not fall all the way through to the bottom / floor..

So please dont be removing your side covers and waste time looking for a white plastic hose...lol :rotf:

It is also true that the fuel filter can be changed out in 30 minutes (or less), but I wanted to relocate mine to make it even easier to change.

The only problem I have now is, that I visually noticed when the gas ran out of the old filter and landed on the black frame that is under the fuel pump and left side cover, it "stained" the black frame.

I used wax and tried to polish it all off, but to no avail..

Dont know why it would stain the black frame, but it did.

Im trying different things now to remove the stain..

Eck

Okay, Okay , I need to get some reading glasses. Dang its bad getting old.

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: